is it really as bad?

Old Sep 10th 2009, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is it really as bad?

What, someone popped your balloon!

Originally Posted by Mallory
Deflation.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ezzie
Can't get a plumber for love nor money over here in Sydney. So, either move to Sydney (more interesting than Perth anyhow) or use it as an opportunity to reassess where you want to be long-term. Can I ask why you moved here in the first place?
We lived over here for about 9 years and left in 2001... Just had the romantic notion that it would all be rosy this time, better life for the kids etc etc...
In hindsight none of this is true and wish we hadn't sacrificed everything we had to return....
Maybe time will tell I don't know - but thanks for reply...Never been to Sydney so it might be worth a go!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh, hang on Dan...confused. So you were from Worcester, left to go to Perth, lived there for 9 years then went back to the UK for a better life for the kids but it didn't work out so you went to Perth. Or...did you leave Worcester, moved to Perth for 9 years for better life for kids, now want to go home. Or do you like it in Perth but just want more work? Sorry, I must be having a slow day!

Originally Posted by Dan the Plumber
We lived over here for about 9 years and left in 2001... Just had the romantic notion that it would all be rosy this time, better life for the kids etc etc...
In hindsight none of this is true and wish we hadn't sacrificed everything we had to return....
Maybe time will tell I don't know - but thanks for reply...Never been to Sydney so it might be worth a go!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:20 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know of any plumbers who have gone back? I had my own business there before we came back to Perth, but its so bloody hard to get a start here with anyone we're thinking of jacking it in and going home....I was busy right up until we left although I did notice the phone wasn't ringing as much as it was!!
Really in a quandry about our futures again, just want to do the right thing!!
Cheers
Dan
Ps Came over in Jan this year.....
The only perspective I can give is that I just had various bits of necessary renovation work done on the House that Jack Built (long story, but this house was not what it was advertised as in the estate agent's brochure) and the tradespeople round here (north Glasgow) don't seem short of work. I think a lot of people are deciding to "make do and mend" rather than buy that new house, washing machine, etc. Our local plumber has a phone message that pretty much says "Our book is full so unless you are a regular customer, please try another plumber".
Old Sep 10th 2009, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving
The only perspective I can give is that I just had various bits of necessary renovation work done on the House that Jack Built (long story, but this house was not what it was advertised as in the estate agent's brochure) and the tradespeople round here (north Glasgow) don't seem short of work. I think a lot of people are deciding to "make do and mend" rather than buy that new house, washing machine, etc. Our local plumber has a phone message that pretty much says "Our book is full so unless you are a regular customer, please try another plumber".
Yes I have heard the same thing too, which is reassuring!! I know the general perception of a Plumber is that we are all rushed off our feet! Uk has a shit load of Plumbers in there now thanks to the 'make a fortune' headlines of a few years ago, but all the same it's good to know - thanks for your input!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ooh, hang on Dan...confused. So you were from Worcester, left to go to Perth, lived there for 9 years then went back to the UK for a better life for the kids but it didn't work out so you went to Perth. Or...did you leave Worcester, moved to Perth for 9 years for better life for kids, now want to go home. Or do you like it in Perth but just want more work? Sorry, I must be having a slow day!
My fault I haven't changed location under my name! No we lived in Perth for 9 years then came back to UK for approx 8 years and have just returned of Jan this year..... I do like Perth yes - in fact I was born here! but I'm just not sure its as 'fulfilling' as the life we had back in the UK.....its probably the same situation as hundreds of others I was really trying to ask if plumbers/trades in UK (that anyone knows of) are still busy........
sorry for confusion
Old Sep 10th 2009, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

Hi Dan,

I posted a reply further up the thread - I have one brother who is a painter, 1 who is a gardener and my husband is a chippie. The painter is working until 9 most nights due to volume of work - he had a period about 4 mths ago where there was nothing but is now inundated with work. The gardener has been full on - in fact he did make one of his guys redundant but has now taken him back and he is now coming into his busiest time. As for hubby he hasn't stopped. We know lots of trades and they are all busy - I think being a plumber or sparkie is better than a chippie - you have to mend that gushing tap but you can put off changing doors.
I think wages have dropped back a little bit maybe 10% on day work but this is obviously regional - not sure for plumbers. We are south england and a cousin (chippie) is just starting a 5 week fit out and will be on £250 per day to work a 5 day week in 4.

We've been back 6 mths and apart from waiting for tools (horrible) things have been good.

Good luck
Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

All makes sense now...I have to ask though...what was it that drew you back to Oz and what was it about the UK that drove you away?

My fault I haven't changed location under my name! No we lived in Perth for 9 years then came back to UK for approx 8 years and have just returned of Jan this year..... I do like Perth yes - in fact I was born here! but I'm just not sure its as 'fulfilling' as the life we had back in the UK.....its probably the same situation as hundreds of others I was really trying to ask if plumbers/trades in UK (that anyone knows of) are still busy........
sorry for confusion
Old Sep 10th 2009, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Reading fan
Hi Dan,

I posted a reply further up the thread - I have one brother who is a painter, 1 who is a gardener and my husband is a chippie. The painter is working until 9 most nights due to volume of work - he had a period about 4 mths ago where there was nothing but is now inundated with work. The gardener has been full on - in fact he did make one of his guys redundant but has now taken him back and he is now coming into his busiest time. As for hubby he hasn't stopped. We know lots of trades and they are all busy - I think being a plumber or sparkie is better than a chippie - you have to mend that gushing tap but you can put off changing doors.
I think wages have dropped back a little bit maybe 10% on day work but this is obviously regional - not sure for plumbers. We are south england and a cousin (chippie) is just starting a 5 week fit out and will be on £250 per day to work a 5 day week in 4.

We've been back 6 mths and apart from waiting for tools (horrible) things have been good.

Good luck
Yeah thanks for that info - that is very good to know....£250 a day is pretty good money, in the Midlands I would guess it would be about £50 less but could be wrong! I probably wouldn't even earn that in dollars here!!! Absolutely crazy!
How did your husband get on with work over here?
Old Sep 10th 2009, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

All makes sense now...I have to ask though...what was it that drew you back to Oz and what was it about the UK that drove you away?
Well I guess it was lots of things, weather, more outdoor life for the kids, bigger houses etc etc, the usual stuff I suppose we all want...Can't say anything drove me away from UK, sure stuff gets you down sometimes but its the same anywhere!! i do like Australia but I also really like the UK!! Its just a case of which one will we prosper in and at the moment UK is definately top of the list!
Old Sep 11th 2009, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

How have you found the difference in the people...digging here of course, but it's rare to get someone who's done both sides of things.

Well I guess it was lots of things, weather, more outdoor life for the kids, bigger houses etc etc, the usual stuff I suppose we all want...Can't say anything drove me away from UK, sure stuff gets you down sometimes but its the same anywhere!! i do like Australia but I also really like the UK!! Its just a case of which one will we prosper in and at the moment UK is definately top of the list!
Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

SlumdogPauper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Reading fan
Hi Dan,

Good luck
=============================================

What part of England is he working on on that wage?
The going rate for a good chippie in the South East is around £100 per day..but there are many out there without work and some are also working for £75 per day.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

SlumdogPauper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shelley748
Hi all

Have been speaking to a lot of family recently and they are saying that its really very bad in UK.

For those of you that have returned- did you find work, if so how long did it take you, what kind of work and were you also given the opportunity for re training?

Just like to know thanks
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read the views of the majority..follow this link!
http://boards.msn.com/UKMoneyboards/...param=Page%3d1

Last edited by SlumdogPauper; Sep 11th 2009 at 2:25 pm.