is it really as bad?

Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default is it really as bad?

Hi all

Have been speaking to a lot of family recently and they are saying that its really very bad in UK.

For those of you that have returned- did you find work, if so how long did it take you, what kind of work and were you also given the opportunity for re training?

Just like to know thanks
Old Sep 1st 2009, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is it really as bad?

Place looked positively thriving to me when I went back in July for 3 weeks....I was in South East though.
I didn't read the doom gloom press when there though.

People who have never left the UK to live elsewhere just don't appreciate what they've got.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not new to returning,infact I returned from Oz to the UK 10 years ago.I will say though,alot of it depends where you came from and want to live?I live on the Somerset/Wilts border (my birthplace)and find it absolutely fine!Low crime,no trouble with binge boozers,I don't personally know anyone out of work (daughter is home from uni,got a part time job in Sainsbury's,contracted to 12 hrs per week,has clocked up full time hours and they want her to stay on????She's heading back to uni this month but will return there at Xmas),its clean,tidy,beautiful countryside,lots of things to do ect.Yes I loved my life in Oz but wanted something abit more if that makes sense!Now I don't have enough spare time to do all the stuff I want to do!
Old Sep 1st 2009, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

As the above posters it probably depends on where you are intending on returning to and what line of work you/partner will be looking for.

We are living in the SE (Berks) and yes we do know people who say things are slow or have the threat of redundancy - these people tend to be working for companies that are always shedding jobs recession or no recession. Others (contractors) have left jobs because they were told to go permanent and take a 40% pay cut or take a hike.
My brother is a painter and working every night until 9pm and another is a landscaper and gets in when its dark - in fact he said he was feeling stressed from too much work.
Of course its not all rosy or doom - everyones circumstances are sooo different it can become a generalisation.
Personally I know many people who (at the moment) are quite content - they ae paying less than ever on their mortgages but they are all very aware that when interest rates start heading up in the future and unemployment may not be looking so good then real trouble may start !

So I think it depends where you are and what you do !
Old Sep 1st 2009, 11:23 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

People who have never left the UK to live elsewhere just don't appreciate what they've got.
Since coming back from Spain (Madrid) to the South East a couple of years ago, I've only had work about 50% of the time, and I've been unemployed since February - if this continues much longer I may never work again as most recruiters look aghast at long gaps on the cv. Quite annoying really as I had work in Madrid and only came back as my partner had health issues at the time which made it difficult for her to move out to Spain.
The one plus point about the UK is that at least you can have your rent and council tax paid by benefit. But job opportunities? Not nearly as good as some people claim (I'm making that claim based on people I know in London and the Midlands).
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:08 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is pretty bad, but not as bad as the Daily Mail makes out. And as pointed out, it depends on what part of the country you live in, what profession you are in, what age you are, etc.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all

I was back in SE (Norwich) June of this year. I found the shops to be full as well as the pubs and restaurants. I didn't see the doom and gloom portered in the news papers. The friends I stayed with have there own company and have said they are surviving ok.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks- any more gratefully received
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
Hi all

Have been speaking to a lot of family recently and they are saying that its really very bad in UK.

For those of you that have returned- did you find work, if so how long did it take you, what kind of work and were you also given the opportunity for re training?

Just like to know thanks
If I were you I would keep a close watch on what happens to the UK economy over the next 12 months, just to be on the safe side. The indicators are not good.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

ok thanks
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:16 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

As people say, it depends.

My only evidence is -- of family and friends, none have lost their jobs, all seem to be continuing to enjoy the usual activities, and none have the slightest interest in leaving the country.

OTOH, three people we know have employment problems in Canada. One laid off, one on half time, and one was in a shaky situation that's sorted out. Lots of others doing fine in Canada, too, of course.

Not statistics to rely on, but what I see in people I know.

Bev
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:32 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I was back in Scotland a few weeks ago and things seemed fine, all friends and family unaffected. There has been a recession so it will not be perfect but don't believe the doom and gloom...
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:42 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

we are retired, and moved back a few weeks ago, we have found that many of the concerns we had have not materialised, yes there are some taxes etc that we have to pay now and didn't in Spain, BUT as we had had a 30% loss on our pensions due to the performance of the pound against the Euro, that has all evened out, and we are at least as well off back here, we do have claims for benefit in the pipeline as well, and have been told we should qualify for some.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:45 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

We have been back 7 months and we have not noticed anything different about the UK.
We are self-employed and business is booming. Maybe the recession improves certain businesses, it certainly has for us. Infact we are so busy we just can't handle the work load at the mo.
But that's us....obviously others have lost their jobs etc. We don't know of anyone out of work though, all the same as before.
What i have noticed though is the tightness of the Banks. They are very carefull as to who they lend money to.
All in all it's great to be back
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mikelincs
we are retired, and moved back a few weeks ago, we have found that many of the concerns we had have not materialised, yes there are some taxes etc that we have to pay now and didn't in Spain,
Could you be more specific as to the UK taxes etc you now have to pay which you didnt in Spain?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.