The Real NHS

Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:55 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all
Default Re: The Real NHS

Originally Posted by holly_1948
It is an NHS philosophy that it is substantially free at the point of service and is not means tested.
Unlike the "Penny in the pound" schemes that preceded the NHS.

As has been pointed out at length, the issues are not contribution record, nor nationality, nor citizenship. The issue is (ordinary) residence. Either one is a legal resident or one is not. Irrespective of nationality this can be from day one of presence in the country, but only if (1) there is a bona fide intention to remain resident and (2) there is a right to be a resident.

I saw on the news a couple of days ago that NHS managers have complained personally to David Cameron about the tens of millions of pounds spent on medical tourists coming here to visit and getting free treatment. I know it's been mentioned before on here, but apparently this practice is worse than ever.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
It's not that you have to have a degree to get a place to train as a nurse (as in your example of the 4 o levels requirement, it's that the training for nurses is now a degree course. The resulting degree is in nursing.
Thanks for the clarification. Makes me wonder why not more young British people apply for a nursing degree and the NHS has to recruit from outside the UK & EU.

Pit Bull may have gone some way to answering that in his post…..

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
My wife's cousins are nurses in Australia, they left the NHS due to increased workload, no pay rises, low morale and not being able to give patients proper care. She also is in contact with some nurses that we met up with when she was in Perth and they all say the conditions are better there than the UK. They also said there was more nurses, not a lot more, but enough to feel the difference, the wife is convinced it will be better there work wise. Is there any nurses on here who know first hand?
Old Oct 4th 2012, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
It is an NHS philosophy that it is substantially free at the point of service and is not means tested.
Unlike the "Penny in the pound" schemes that preceded the NHS.

As has been pointed out at length, the issues are not contribution record, nor nationality, nor citizenship. The issue is (ordinary) residence. Either one is a legal resident or one is not. Irrespective of nationality this can be from day one of presence in the country, but only if (1) there is a bona fide intention to remain resident and (2) there is a right to be a resident.
Very well put Holly, however the the point being made giving rise to the term NHS Tourist (an NHS term allegedly not mine) is that the patient only requires a valid visitors visa which does not include a bona fide intention to remain when they are granted for 6 months or so.
We are told that One and a Half million such visas were granted last year.

We are also being told that foreign visitors that do not qualify to be registered with a GP are paying bribes of up to a thousand pounds to do so.

We also get news such as "A foreign patient who cost the NHS more than £500,000 in medical bills fled the UK without paying for the treatment, it was revealed yesterday.

But the case is just ‘the tip of the iceberg’ according to a member of Commons Health Select Committee.

Tory MP Chris Skidmore said: ‘This figure may seem high, but sadly this is widespread. One hospital trust alone is owed £8million from foreign nationals who haven’t paid their bills.’
Old Oct 4th 2012, 6:03 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Does it happen in America, or Australia?
Old Oct 4th 2012, 6:07 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure someone will be along soon to say it's worse in both places.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 6:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dunroving

Old Oct 4th 2012, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

Karma given.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 6:40 pm
Banned

wonderwoman1st is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife's cousins are nurses in Australia, they left the NHS due to increased workload, no pay rises, low morale and not being able to give patients proper care. She also is in contact with some nurses that we met up with when she was in Perth and they all say the conditions are better there than the UK. They also said there was more nurses, not a lot more, but enough to feel the difference, the wife is convinced it will be better there work wise. Is there any nurses on here who know first hand?
When I worked back in the UK before moving to Canada, I worked with nurses who had lived and worked there and they liked it a lot, one emigrated over to Oz with her husband during the time I had been working with her and she didn't come back, though the others I worked with who had worked and lived in Oz before did go back to the U.K.
I chose Canada as I didn't want less pay, which OZ and NZ commonly are compared to the UK though a higher standard of living, I wanted more pay plus the nursing here is very similar to the U.K, easier in some ways and better staffed.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 6:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by wonderwoman1st
When I worked back in the UK before moving to Canada, I worked with nurses who had lived and worked there and they liked it a lot, one emigrated over to Oz with her husband during the time I had been working with her and she didn't come back, though the others I worked with who had worked and lived in Oz before did go back to the U.K.
I chose Canada as I didn't want less pay, which OZ and NZ commonly are compared to the UK though a higher standard of living, I wanted more pay plus the nursing here is very similar to the U.K, easier in some ways and better staffed.
My wife says the job has become a lot more about hitting targets than actually nursing care for patients over the last few years, for instance in the last couple of months the NHS have brought in hourly checks on patients which have to be logged at the time, but ....... She says they are so busy they just ignore it and fill the times in for the previous 7 hours at the end of the shift. She says it's a pain and time wasting exercise.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 6:58 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

It's worse in both places.

Seriously though, yes, there is identity theft which could result in scammers getting care on someone else's ID. When the victim or their insurance provider spots this, the hospital or healthcare providers would be left with a bill they couldn't collect on.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...eft/idt10.shtm
Old Oct 4th 2012, 7:36 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it does, at least in Australia, dont know about America.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 7:49 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

They also said there was more nurses, not a lot more, but enough to feel the difference, the wife is convinced it will be better there work wise. Is there any nurses on here who know first hand?
yes....me
Old Oct 4th 2012, 8:16 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I saw on the news a couple of days ago that NHS managers have complained personally to David Cameron about the tens of millions of pounds spent on medical tourists coming here to visit and getting free treatment. I know it's been mentioned before on here, but apparently this practice is worse than ever.
10s of millions of pounds....the size of the issue sounds as small as ever. These managers are as poor at long division and percentages as all the other people that have this bee in their bonnet. This is way down on the list of problems faced by the NHS. of course it does feed into many British people's xenophobia......links to the news article would be appreciated!
Old Oct 4th 2012, 8:17 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is you get UK nurses working in Australia, Australian nurses working in the 3rd world UK hospitals, in fact it seems that nurses from all over the world work all over the world, just like they always have. These forums are full of nurses disillusioned with working in Australia and the UK and many other countries.
Our own personal experiences favour the treatment we have had in the UK, that may shock, amaze or even anger some but tough, its just the way it is. I have suffered 3 infections in hospitals, one in Geelong and two in Brisbane.
If some want to believe it is all sweetness and light in Australia that is fine.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 8:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by nun
10s of millions of pounds....the size of the issue sounds as small as ever. These managers are as poor at long division and percentages as all the other people that have this bee in their bonnet. This is way down on the list of problems faced by the NHS. of course it does feed into many British people's xenophobia......links to the news article would be appreciated!
Just look on the Daily Mail website, you should find a few 'stories'. :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.