The Real NHS

Old Oct 3rd 2012, 8:43 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Real NHS

Originally Posted by dunroving
If you peruse the recreation and leisure literature from 30 or so years ago, it was full of predictions that technology and automation would make our jobs easier and we'd all be taking lseisurely 3-day or 4-day "weekends". The reality has been that we are simply expected to be more productive in our 5 days (ha! Can't remember my last 5-day work week), that we are employed part-time to do a full week's work, that we now work on the train to work, via our laptops and smart phones, and/or that fewer peple are employed to achieve what more people were achieving before all this technology made our tasks easier.

Oh, and I forgot one more thing - we now have to spend 50% of our time writing reports and evaluations and blue-sky thinking strategies instead of actually getting on with the job.

NHS (I just put that in there so the post wasn't off-topic!)
Your post is very ON topic.....the level of accountability and resulting red tape (like lines of reporting and evaluations) that is now inherent in sectors like health and education is beyond ridiculous.

It would be interesting to see how much more of our health/education budgets are now spent on the additional support staff required to undertake audits/evaluations etc than 10 years ago?
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Im not sure how self checkouts have resulted in 1000's of job losses, I dont know about Australia but most of the big supermarkets here have been employing more people.
Hmm, With Part Time Working being the new Full time working,let's hope the 2,200 who just got made redundant with JJB Sports can all get jobs with Aldi.

Mind you, how come I never see any of these extra employed people when I'm in the supermarket spending my meager wedge?

Anyway, back to the NHS.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Im not sure how self checkouts have resulted in 1000's of job losses, I dont know about Australia but most of the big supermarkets here have been employing more people.
Im talking about American Supermarkets and DIY stores, all the large chains have a minimum of 4 self check outs, many have 6 or 8 and with one person to watch over the 4-6-8 customers, add it up, its Thousands of jobs... Shops in the UK are doing it too, Im not sure about other countries but I doubt they would not jump on board, its Free Labour...
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 12:51 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Im talking about American Supermarkets and DIY stores, all the large chains have a minimum of 4 self check outs, many have 6 or 8 and with one person to watch over the 4-6-8 customers, add it up, its Thousands of jobs... Shops in the UK are doing it too, Im not sure about other countries but I doubt they would not jump on board, its Free Labour...
Sorry didnt realise you were talking about the US.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 12:52 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Hmm, With Part Time Working being the new Full time working,let's hope the 2,200 who just got made redundant with JJB Sports can all get jobs with Aldi.

Mind you, how come I never see any of these extra employed people when I'm in the supermarket spending my meager wedge?

Anyway, back to the NHS.
What a bizarre post
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 1:15 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Coles is pretty good in Australia but Woolworths are shocking for only opening one or two tills. We stopped shopping there and switched to Coles within a few weeks of working this out and rarely go in there now. We use a lot of smaller shops as well. The automated tills are indeed a great way for megamarts to pay for one person to mind 8 tills. Funnily enough though when these were brought in prices didn't go down in reflection of their lower overheads. I hate using them because it just means I am working as a slave for Coles for as long as it takes me to put my stuff through the checkout. There are numerous ways to con them on these tills if one is that way inclined I suppose, but I have always been honest with them.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

What a bizarre post
Why?

Have you not heard who has been made redundant this week and who has announced job placements, or was you post about supermarkets a stab in the dark?
Or was it the bit about my meager funds

Originally Posted by Zen10
The automated tills are indeed a great way for megamarts to pay for one person to mind 8 tills. Funnily enough though when these were brought in prices didn't go down in reflection of their lower overheads.
Hopefully after the cost of the automated till is recovered the same outlets will reflect the lower overheads in their pricing structure. But I won't hold my breath.

Last edited by TheArmChairDetective; Oct 3rd 2012 at 1:30 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Why?

Have you not heard who has been made redundant this week and who has announced job placements, or was you post about supermarkets a stab in the dark?
Or was it the bit about my meager funds

Hopefully after the cost of the automated till is recovered the same outlets will reflect the lower overheads in their pricing structure. But I won't hold my breath.
My biggest concern about these busy self check areas is that the user has their mind on the job at hand and with other shoppers passing close by you could easily get pick pocketed...

I doubt prices dropped, but how will we ever know, Back to the subject at hand, The NHS...
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Back to the subject at hand, The NHS...
Indeed
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 5:16 pm
Banned

Back to the subject at hand, The NHS...
Yes, we had another visit to the local hospital today for my son to have an xray and have some stitches removed, minimal wait and fantastic nurses.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 5:23 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Yes, we had another visit to the local hospital today for my son to have an xray and have some stitches removed, minimal wait and fantastic nurses.

It's likely they weren't nurses mate, they have them dressed looking like nurses, but they have trained up a lot of auxiliary staff to do jobs like this, they are called care assistants, they also take blood, put canullars in, do ESGs etc, it's saved millions for the hospitals, but it means there's far less front line nurses.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 5:30 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting newspiece recently on the overprescription of benzos and sleeping pills:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinio...cle3554280.ece

- In the US, this can be explained by backhanders from the drug companies, but in the NHS, I wonder whether it is just a simpler way to get the patient in and out within the allocated 10 minutes per patient visit?

Although you can't really question the accuracy of the statistics on number of prescriptions, I haven't see any systematic evidence supporting the widespread addiction and serious side effects described here.

Makes good newsprint, I suppose.

- Sorry, just realised you need a subscription to the Times in order to read the full article. Much as I am reluctant to post anything from the Daily Wail, they also published an article on the subject, as did the Express:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...cted-to-valium

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...phie%2BBorland

Last edited by dunroving; Oct 3rd 2012 at 5:36 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 8:19 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
they are called care assistants, they also take blood, put canullars in, do ESGs etc.
Well as I was lecturer in Nursing I would like you to provide some evidence of this
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 9:39 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Grayling
Well as I was lecturer in Nursing I would like you to provide some evidence of this
My wife's a senior nurse, she told me, she says it's just a recent happening over the last two or three years, when did you stop lecturing?

I'm not saying every hospital is like this, or every area, but there has been a huge shift in this direction, so the wife says.

Last edited by Pit Bull.; Oct 3rd 2012 at 9:49 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Grayling
That's grand, my sister is an auxiliary nurse on the "bank" and before she graduated my wife was a care assistant. I suppose the only evidence that can be produced is to walk down a ward and see who is doing what.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.