The Real NHS

Old Dec 27th 2012, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Real NHS

Originally Posted by UK IFA
Like any system there are always problems and its easy to highlight the bad because they are well published.

However in the UK we have a choice, either NHS or private, yes I can hear you all screaming now, but it's still a choice, in many countries there is none.

I have a mother who is in a high dependency care home, the care system in the UK has it faults because they are mostly privately owned and its about money, once again we as a family have a choice.

Unfortunately, in my view , there is a different mindset in a Hospitals, Nursing homes and hospices.

Hospitals rate patients according to age, nursing homes rate according wealth and hospices are true and caring places as they know the patients end is in sight and treat patients with dignity.

On the other side of the coin I have recently suffered an accident which resulted in 3rd degree burns over my hand from fire.

The NHS treatment was brilliant and after each visit to the hospital I came away with a massive bag of goodies for free ( bandages, flamazine, soaked gauze etc). This stuff must cost a fortune and I would have expected to pay.

I know also from my son breaking an ankle, things like crutches, boots, and leg supports are given away and never asked or wanted back, this must cost a lot of money.

Constructive Feedback is definitely the answer.
There is no choice for those who cannot afford private....the majority of the population.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
I agree. There are bound to be disaster stories, and they shouldn't happen, but it'd need a special study to see how representative any are.

I did wonder with the man who starved to death why the family didn't do something. They seemed to be worried, but not enough to make a real fuss, or take in food and make sure he ate it. I may be misjudging, because obviously I don't know the details, but some people don't want to take care of their elderly or handicapped relatives, even in such a small way.

Also, too many people are passive with the NHS. We need to take personal responsibility for our health care and that of our family, both in speaking up and actual hand-on care. And yes, when things go really wrong, we need to make a fuss. Write to the hospital trust, our MP, the media, the PM, whoever and whatever to create a stink.

My NHS experiences have been good to excellent, and the good got better when I informed myself and spoke up.

Bev
Some people are too old and sick and do not have a family to watch out for them.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 2:32 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
It isn't much fun being part of the bad stuff either
I think you and I are just "being negative." It must be nice to win the postcode lottery.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 6:22 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
It isn't much fun being part of the bad stuff either
Of course it isnt nice, noone would say otherwise. My point is that some just seem to concentrate on the negatives when there are so many positives.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 6:55 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Of course it isnt nice, noone would say otherwise. My point is that some just seem to concentrate on the negatives when there are so many positives.
I only wish my mother could have lived to share your "positive" happy days instead of falling on one of the "unfortunate" negative ones.......
Personally I couldn't care if it happens elsewhere in the World or if you consider it to be a blight on your positive, for her negative was for real.....
Old Dec 27th 2012, 10:25 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
I only wish my mother could have lived to share your "positive" happy days instead of falling on one of the "unfortunate" negative ones.......
Personally I couldn't care if it happens elsewhere in the World or if you consider it to be a blight on your positive, for her negative was for real.....
.......and nothing bad would ever happen in NZ would it?

....or would you like me to google you a few examples?
Old Dec 27th 2012, 10:45 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Some people are too old and sick and do not have a family to watch out for them.
Unfortunately true, but that doesn't address the problem of those who do have people who should be watching out for them.Or those who could be doing more to make sure they're getting the right treatment.

A huge organization like the NHS can't take individual needs into account all the time, even with their best effort. We have to speak up for ourselves and those we care about. Common sense.

That's all I'm saying.

Bev
Old Dec 27th 2012, 11:02 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling

But this thread isn't about NZ, and no-one is saying NZ is perfect so what's your point? This part of the forum is about the UK so why keep trying to make points about Australia and NZ?
Old Dec 27th 2012, 11:05 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I really think people are making too much out of what I am saying. I am not saying the NHS is perfect, like every other health service it is far from perfect but in this thread all we are seeing is how bad it is, well for us at least it has been great since being back. Sometimes a bit of positivity is a good thing but it wont be the first time someone on here has had a go at me for being too positive, bizarre I know but true.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 11:05 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Bevm
Unfortunately true, but that doesn't address the problem of those who do have people who should be watching out for them.Or those who could be doing more to make sure they're getting the right treatment.

A huge organization like the NHS can't take individual needs into account all the time, even with their best effort. We have to speak up for ourselves and those we care about. Common sense.

That's all I'm saying.

Bev
I do think the welfare state engenders a sort of learned helplessness or abrogation of personal responsibility at times. We forget we need to take care of our neighbors friends and family.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 11:07 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
But this thread isn't about NZ, and no-one is saying NZ is perfect so what's your point? This part of the forum is about the UK so why keep trying to make points about Australia and NZ?
Stormer used to consistently make derogatory posts about the UK. So much so that he was pulled up about it on the NZ forum and threw his toys out of the pram and stopped posting for a while.
This is another typical example....so I will reply to it if I choose.....you don't have to read it
Old Dec 27th 2012, 11:13 am
Ping-ponger

Stormer used to consistently make derogatory posts about the UK. So much so that he was pulled up about it on the NZ forum and threw his toys out of the pram and stopped posting for a while.
This is another typical example....so I will reply to it if I choose.....you don't have to read it
So it's a private argument being carried out on a public forum? I guess I'm surprised at how much of mbttuk is a spillover of fights going on in NZ and oz - you don't see the same for US Europe etc. When you aren't in the know it just seems odd.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 11:14 am
Banned

Exactly.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 11:22 am
Bitter and twisted

So it's a private argument being carried out on a public forum? I guess I'm surprised at how much of mbttuk is a spillover of fights going on in NZ and oz - you don't see the same for US Europe etc. When you aren't in the know it just seems odd.
No....not a 'private' argument really.....but it helps to know a person's agenda when evaluating their contributions
Old Dec 27th 2012, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

I think you and I are just "being negative." It must be nice to win the postcode lottery.
Ah, I think I shall first have to buy a few lottery tickets to be able to win. Winning the postcard lottery would be welcome, but I wouldn't mind a few hundred million from Europe. It is wonderful to dream of what I could do, I would cease to be a burden on the NHS, and tell the UK pension service that I don't need their 24 pence a week any more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.