The Real NHS

Old Sep 18th 2012, 8:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: The Real NHS

Our town in New Jersey (New York metro area) has a population of approx 19,000 people. There is a 'Volunteer Ambulance Service' and they're always asking residents of the town to offer to volunteer (I'm too squeamish, can't bear to see the sight of blood). They are always asking for donations of $ too. Our town does have a 'paid' fire and police service paid from our local 'council' taxes - mine are currently US$14000 for a very modest house - but I know that many towns, villages or hamlets don't even have a fire service and volunteers go out to emergencies.

I've never been able to work out what happens if anyone (whether a resident of our town or someone passing through) calls 911 and an ambulance is needed. I'm pretty sure that the sick or injured person carried in the ambulance is sent a bill, or their insurance company is. I very much doubt that it's a free service...

There are two large hospitals within 3 miles in opposite directions of our house and we are near an Interstate highway, so it's common to see emergency ambulances rushing to the ER...they have all kinds of different names on the ambulances and goodness' knows how they charge their fees...it's not as if one can negotiate or call an alternative provider during an emergency situation When my son was attending the local schools on the emergency contact form it asked which hospital we would prefer in an emergency! (I always wrote 'the nearest' )

It seems from what I've observed that in virtually all cases the police and fire dept. also show up to emergency calls.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Real NHS

Originally Posted by MrMuffin
Exactly. For that car accident... just the ambulance ride itself will set you back between $400 and $800 depending on which State you're in at the time.
Thats just another service we pay for that Brits take for granted, I contribute to my local ambulance and fire service, Im not sure if it would cover me if I needed those services in other parts of the country, not sure if my local people have agreements with other parts of the state or country, I would assume not...
Old Sep 18th 2012, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Our town in New Jersey (New York metro area) has a population of approx 19,000 people. There is a 'Volunteer Ambulance Service' and they're always asking residents of the town to offer to volunteer (I'm too squeamish, can't bear to see the sight of blood). They are always asking for donations of $ too. Our town does have a 'paid' fire and police service paid from our local 'council' taxes - mine are currently US$14000 for a very modest house - but I know that many towns, villages or hamlets don't even have a fire service and volunteers go out to emergencies.

I've never been able to work out what happens if anyone (whether a resident of our town or someone passing through) calls 911 and an ambulance is needed. I'm pretty sure that the sick or injured person carried in the ambulance is sent a bill, or their insurance company is. I very much doubt that it's a free service...

There are two large hospitals within 3 miles in opposite directions of our house and we are near an Interstate highway, so it's common to see emergency ambulances rushing to the ER...they have all kinds of different names on the ambulances and goodness' knows how they charge their fees...it's not as if one can negotiate or call an alternative provider during an emergency situation When my son was attending the local schools on the emergency contact form it asked which hospital we would prefer in an emergency! (I always wrote 'the nearest' )

It seems from what I've observed that in virtually all cases the police and fire dept. also show up to emergency calls.
Ive lived in small towns of 12-36.000 people where these emergency services are run by volunteers, lets not forget they have to leave work and drive to the Ambulance garage before they can come to your aid...

My Sister was an EMT for years, didnt like blood but she loved helping people, driving the ambulance became a thrill for her, lol... she was on call and would jump out of bed in the middle of the night to answer calls...

I'm pretty sure everyone gets a bill for ambulance services, if you have insurance that should pay for some of it, but still there will be deductables unless you are lucky and one of the few that has 100% coverage...
Old Sep 18th 2012, 8:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know how long it would take for the fire brigade or ambulance to get to my house. I do know that the police are at my door within a few minutes.

AFAIK healthcare insurance will normally pay for the ambulance if you are admitted into hospital overnight. No overnight stay...you have to settle the bill...which will be at least 4 figures.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
A small observation of mine, and I stress it's just an observation, I don't know if there are facts to back it up.

If you go into a casualty dept. of virtually any NHS hospital between 5.00 p.m. and 7.00 p.m on a Saturday night you'll find the wounded warriors from Saturday afternoons amateur sporting activities, football, rugby etc. I think it's a bonus for social interaction that people can play sport without fear that an injury may cause financial hardship.
That's nothing when compared with practically any A & E (Accident and Emergency) Department in any NHS Hospital in most cities and towns here in the UK more expecially at weekend evenights and nights - Fridays through to Sundays.

They often resemble a mixture of a battlefield and a lunatic asylum with drunks and druggies and the lame and the bloodied and the semi comatose causing mayhem in the reception areas, where the totally comatose remain in that condition, all waiting for the attention of extremely hardpressed nurses, doctors after being dumped there by a succession of mobile paramedics or police officers who then set off back to the streets to see to the next round of "clients" who later add to the chaos.

No barrack rooms in any military establishment could possibly outdo those "clients" in A & E in terms of foul language and obscene behaviour.

What's really bad about this is that all the care, medical attention and treatment they receive from those amazing doctors and nurses in A &E comes absolutely free of any charge whatsoever which to my mind is a travesty. They brought all their injuries and incapacities upon themselves entirely and they should be made to pay for every single penny piece of their treatment by some manner of means or face some kind of legal repurcussions.
The waste of resources on these muppets is a disgrace, especially when you consider decent people being denied certain treatments solely on account of cost.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
That's nothing when compared with practically any A & E (Accident and Emergency) Department in any NHS Hospital in most cities and towns here in the UK more expecially at weekend evenights and nights - Fridays through to Sundays.

They often resemble a mixture of a battlefield and a lunatic asylum with drunks and druggies and the lame and the bloodied and the semi comatose causing mayhem in the reception areas, where the totally comatose remain in that condition, all waiting for the attention of extremely hardpressed nurses, doctors after being dumped there by a succession of mobile paramedics or police officers who then set off back to the streets to see to the next round of "clients" who later add to the chaos.

No barrack rooms in any military establishment could possibly outdo those "clients" in A & E in terms of foul language and obscene behaviour.

What's really bad about this is that all the care, medical attention and treatment they receive from those amazing doctors and nurses in A &E comes absolutely free of any charge whatsoever which to my mind is a travesty. They brought all their injuries and incapacities upon themselves entirely and they should be made to pay for every single penny piece of their treatment by some manner of means or face some kind of legal repurcussions.
The waste of resources on these muppets is a disgrace, especially when you consider decent people being denied certain treatments solely on account of cost.
A couple of points.

Firstly I totally agree that the walking wounded from the sports fields on a saturday afternoon are nothing compared the drunken mayhem in the ER on a Fri & Sat night. My point was that people are able to play amateur sports without fear of excessive financial penalties due to injury. This, IMHO, improves the quality of life in the UK. I coached rugby over here in the US and it was very difficult to recruit new players simple because they could not afford to play in case they got injured. From what I've seen there's very few contact sports played in the US once players are past the coverage provided by education unless they are professionals. Unlike the playing fields of the UK on a Saturday afternoon and a Sunday morning,
Fish and Chips also hit upon the quality of life when he stated that people were reluctant to change jobs because of changes in their health care coverage. This freedom of ability to pursue activities and careers without worry of health care coverage is often overlooked when the US v UK health care debates occur.

* I suppose you could agrue that the freedom to get drunk improves the quality of life, but I doubt you'd win that debate.

Secondly. The last part of your post you wrote. "They brought all their injuries and incapacities upon themselves entirely and they should be made to pay for every single penny piece of their treatment by some manner of means or face some kind of legal repurcussions."

I'm inclined to agree with you. There has to be massive changes in the NHS, even though it is refered to as a 'sacred cow' that politicians won't touch. The simple fact that the population is living longer will put enormous strains on services. Ironic, that the better the health service becomes the more pressure is put upon it.

Perhaps, instead of yet another UK v's USA health system debate we should be asking the question....

How do you vision a NHS of the future?
Old Sep 19th 2012, 4:00 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm this is a difficult one but I can confirm as a serving paramedic of 20 years I have assessed and treated many patients who were drunk, unconscious, injured etc and then taken them to A&E - I have never personally 'dumped' them there.

I think people need to understand that we are not allowed to refuse to transport someone to A&E if they are asking to go. Also it is extremely hard to assess a drunk patient - they are often poor historians who cannot even tell you about any medical condition they may have and who is to say that the falling over drunk with a cut head may not be having a subarachnoid bleed which will eventually kill them if they are not seen and assessed at hospital? I would be failing in my duty of care if I did not take them in for a scan and further treatment/assessment.

Also you're not taking into account the number of innocent bystanders who end up in A&E after a night out on the tiles, people who were enjoying a few drinks, minding their own business only to be bashed by some idiot or hit by flying glass etc as they were unfortunate enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Of course I have been out to more nasty, abusive drunks than I care to remember, it p***es me off more than I can say BUT its part of my job and I have had to learn to accept it. I love what I do and sometimes I get to make a difference, sometimes I get to mop up vomit all night - that's just how it is.

Here in Qld you don't pay for ambulances so, of course, people abuse the system but I have treated people from other states who have been injured or become ill and they have to pay for it. Some of them don't have insurance and have refused treatment and transport even though they have really needed it and called a taxi or friend instead. Yes of course we should all have insurance but there are some people who simply cannot afford it. Heathcare should not be a lottery and while I do agree that the NHS needs some serious reforms I would hate to see the UK follow in the footsteps of the US that only those who can afford to pay get treated.

What used to annoy me the most when I worked for the NHS in London was the amount of people from overseas, living in the UK legally but scamming the system, bringing over their relatives for treatment on the NHS. I've been away a few years now so maybe that loophole has been closed - I certainly hope so!

Last edited by MissBetty; Sep 19th 2012 at 4:21 am.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 4:22 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty

What used to annoy me the most when I worked for the NHS in London was the amount of people from overseas, living in the UK legally but scamming the system, bringing over their relatives for treatment on the NHS. I've been away a few years now so maybe that loophole has been closed - I certainly hope so!
Did you see this personally? How did you know the relatives were not UK residents? What proportion of the people you or doctors you talked to treated non-residents for more than an emergency?
Old Sep 19th 2012, 4:52 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Did you see this personally? How did you know the relatives were not UK residents? What proportion of the people you or doctors you talked to treated non-residents for more than an emergency?
Ok I can give you 2 examples off the top of my head of patients that I have been out to.

One was a Moroccan girl who was 18 years old and waiting for a kidney transplant. Her sister was married to a UK citizen so they had all moved to the UK, she was on a visitors visa but not a resident. She informed me that she was being treated under the NHS and she could not wait for her transplant as she hated the UK and was keen to return to her own country as were her sister and her husband.

One was an elderly Indian gentleman who had arrived to visit his family that day and 'suddenly' developed chest pains. He denied having anything like this before. Upon further questioning and after examining his medication he admitted he had an extensive cardiac history so had come to stay with his daughter in the UK on a visitors visa so he could get treated on the NHS and produced a bunch of letters from his doctor in India detailing his condition. His daughter told us that she had advised by family members to bring her father over to the UK to stay for a period of time so he would be treated on the NHS. When I told the doctors this at the hospital they said that initially they would have to treat him as it would be a violation of his human rights not to do so.

We are allowed to ask patients for proof of identity, residency and their address for purposes of identification. As for proportion of people I'm unable to give you a figure but in my 15 years in London I saw it quite frequently.

Last edited by MissBetty; Sep 19th 2012 at 5:57 am.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 5:29 am
Practical Paramedic

Bit of further info I dug up on how it currently stands:-

NHS risks becoming 'world health service'

The NHS risks becoming the “world health service” because even visitors to the country can claim free treatment, campaigners warn.
By Martin Beckford, Home Affairs Editor
7:00AM BST 30 Apr 2012

Ministers have confirmed that GPs do not need to ask prospective patients for ID or proof of address when registering them, raising fresh fears over “health tourism”.

It allows foreign nationals who arrive in England on a six-month visitors visa to begin receiving health care immediately.

But the pressure group Migration Watch UK says that it could also mean illegal immigrants getting NHS treatment.

Sir Andrew Green, chairman of the organisation, said: “What this means is that someone getting off a plane with a valid visitors visa, is, in effect, able to access the GP services of the NHS without ever having paid a penny into the system. Over one and a half million such visas were issued last year.

“And once registered with a GP it is, in practice, an easy step to potentially highly expensive and long term treatment - all at the expense of the UK taxpayer with little or no prospect of the beneficiaries ever being charged for it.”

He went on: “‘It is clearly not the job of doctors to act as an arm of the immigration service but there are clear and substantial risks of abuse in such a lax system and controls must be put in place.

“The present situation is outrageous. Everyone knows the pressure the NHS is under and its ever increasing cost to the taxpayer. To allow such easy and potentially hugely expensive access without any entitlement must be stopped at once, otherwise the NHS risks becoming the ‘World Health Service’.”

The “lax” rules were confirmed in response to a parliamentary written question asked by Frank Field, the veteran Labour MP.

Simon Burns, the health minister, said that GPs can only turn away new patients if the local health trust has agreed they can close their lists.

He went on: “There is no formal requirement to provide documentation when registering with a GP. However, many GPs, when considering applications, request proof of identity and confirmation of address, but in doing so they must not act in a discriminatory way. “A decision on whether to register a foreign national who has a six-month visitor visa is therefore currently for the GP to consider.”

However the Government is now looking at ways to tackle the growing cost of “health tourism”.

Under the proposals, foreigners could be charged for visiting a GP or forced to take out health insurance.

Anyone who receives hospital care but fails to pay the money back, as required, could be kicked out of the country if they try to return. Currently £10m a year is lost to foreign nationals who fail to pay back the cost of their treatment. Recently the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, was criticised by Migration Watch for producing a booklet that makes it clear to new arrivals that they can access the NHS without documentation.

Last edited by MissBetty; Sep 19th 2012 at 5:31 am.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 8:15 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Ok I can give you 2 examples off the top of my head of patients that I have been out to.

One was a Moroccan girl who was 18 years old and waiting for a kidney transplant. Her sister was married to a UK citizen so they had all moved to the UK, she was on a visitors visa but not a resident. She informed me that she was being treated under the NHS and she could not wait for her transplant as she hated the UK and was keen to return to her own country as were her sister and her husband.

One was an elderly Indian gentleman who had arrived to visit his family that day and 'suddenly' developed chest pains. He denied having anything like this before. Upon further questioning and after examining his medication he admitted he had an extensive cardiac history so had come to stay with his daughter in the UK on a visitors visa so he could get treated on the NHS and produced a bunch of letters from his doctor in India detailing his condition. His daughter told us that she had advised by family members to bring her father over to the UK to stay for a period of time so he would be treated on the NHS. When I told the doctors this at the hospital they said that initially they would have to treat him as it would be a violation of his human rights not to do so.

We are allowed to ask patients for proof of identity, residency and their address for purposes of identification. As for proportion of people I'm unable to give you a figure but in my 15 years in London I saw it quite frequently.
I can add to this! Having worked in the NHS I am pleased to tell you that they are cracking down on this. They are now asking for proof of residency and address of anyone who registers and a doctors surgery. Not sure if it's the case for A&E or other services on the NHS.

There was an American girl who came over to the UK on holiday and whilst she was here she attempted to get a minor procedure done (I wont go into gory details) in the clinic I used to work at. She had an American passport and no proof of UK address so we refused her treatment. She had basically come to the UK expecting to have the procedure done and bugger off back to the States whilst us Brits pick up the bill with our taxes. This would have cost around $1000 back in the States. I couldn't believe the cheek of the woman!

Another common one is contraception. Totally free in the UK but expensive to buy in other countries. I've seen many foreigners come over here, attend a walk in sexual health clinic to pick up some free contraception and then leave the country when their holiday is over. Thankfully this is being nipped in the bud now and proof of residency along with a UK address must be supplied
Old Sep 19th 2012, 8:48 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

MissBetty, you mentioned that in Queensland ambulances are free. This was because Anna Bligh removed the $110 levy we all paid, do you think Campbell Newman will reinstate that levy given the financial mess the State is in ?
Old Sep 19th 2012, 8:55 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Our GPs are great, can't do enough for you, going to hospital is hit and miss depending if you get to see someone good at what they do, but you seem to have to wait for ages, why tell someone to come at say 9am and then have to wait for ages along with others. Nurses seem stretched to the limit and two relatives caught MRSA in hospital, one sadly died. I feel the funds need to get to the front line and employ more nurses, but everyone has said that for years.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 9:21 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is that any service is only as good as the individuals unfortunately. I agree about the waiting times, when our eldest broke his arm in Australia we would be given an 'appointment' time which was actually just a clinic time, you could arrive at say 9 in the morning and not leave until after lunch.

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
Our GPs are great, can't do enough for you, going to hospital is hit and miss depending if you get to see someone good at what they do, but you seem to have to wait for ages, why tell someone to come at say 9am and then have to wait for ages along with others. Nurses seem stretched to the limit and two relatives caught MRSA in hospital, one sadly died. I feel the funds need to get to the front line and employ more nurses, but everyone has said that for years.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 10:51 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I can add to this! Having worked in the NHS I am pleased to tell you that they are cracking down on this. They are now asking for proof of residency and address of anyone who registers and a doctors surgery. Not sure if it's the case for A&E or other services on the NHS.

There was an American girl who came over to the UK on holiday and whilst she was here she attempted to get a minor procedure done (I wont go into gory details) in the clinic I used to work at. She had an American passport and no proof of UK address so we refused her treatment. She had basically come to the UK expecting to have the procedure done and bugger off back to the States whilst us Brits pick up the bill with our taxes. This would have cost around $1000 back in the States. I couldn't believe the cheek of the woman!

Another common one is contraception. Totally free in the UK but expensive to buy in other countries. I've seen many foreigners come over here, attend a walk in sexual health clinic to pick up some free contraception and then leave the country when their holiday is over. Thankfully this is being nipped in the bud now and proof of residency along with a UK address must be supplied

That's good to know - glad to hear they are cracking down on health tourism - finally! It just makes me mad that people who have not paid a penny can come to the UK and abuse the system yet my poor old Dad who worked and paid taxes all his life had to wait 8 months for a hernia operation. Ok it wasn't life threatening but he was in a lot of pain and, as a normally fit healthy 72 year old who still cycles everywhere, it seriously impacted on his quality of life during that time. He now back to full fitness though and helping out all the 'old' people in the village where he lives lol!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.