Re: Moving from USA to UK

Old Mar 31st 2003, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

shadowinter is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Moving from USA to UK

Anyone know or personally have had the experience of moving back to the UK after living for several years in the UK? Someone that was British born, but raised in the US? How difficult was it to meld into British life and customs? I am curious!
Old Mar 31st 2003, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

So are you looking at moving back to the Croydon area? It's a lot different probably to what you remember. Have you thought about going for a relocation visit just to see? I'm from Bromley and know Croydon fairly well.
Old Apr 1st 2003, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

joebloggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from USA to UK

Originally posted by shadowinter
Anyone know or personally have had the experience of moving back to the UK after living for several years in the UK? Someone that was British born, but raised in the US? How difficult was it to meld into British life and customs? I am curious!

If you haven't been there for a long time then it will be a big culture shock...I imagine you have this vague idea of what it might be like but then the reality (whether for better or worse) is bound to be very different.
How you deal with that initial shock is a personal thing of course....you might love it, love the differences from the life you have been living, love adapting to it all, love this new exciting country, or you might hate it, hate how everything is different from what you have grown to expect, consider it all a step down from your current lifestyle. I would imagine how easy/hard you find it to meld in would depend both on your expectations, how eager you are to experience something different, how well you can cope with the changed routines, and how settled you are in US eg family friends work etc.
btw...have gone from UK to oz then back again, but have no direct experience of the situation you describe.