Wikiposts

re-importing car

Old May 18th 2012, 7:34 am
Just Joined

cazzy12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re-importing car

I have recently came back to the Uk with my car, i originally bought this car in the Uk, shipped it to a EU country almost 3 years ago and have now brought it back. The DVLA are insisting that I get it insured again before I re register it here and the insurance premiums quoted are horrendously expensive if you do not have a registration number(latest quote £3,700). The DVLA insist that you use the chassis number to insure it and not the previous registration number you had before exporting the car. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did they get around it? thanks would be grateful for any help!
Old May 18th 2012, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Default Re: re-importing car

anyone know?
Old May 18th 2012, 10:29 am
Just Joined

come on someone must know
Old May 18th 2012, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cazzy12
come on someone must know
Sorry don't know the answer but it concerns me as I am about to export two cars back to UK, they are NZ cars though.
Maybe you need to get an insurance broker to help out as as you say that level of insurance premium wouldn't make it worth most people's while.

I just googled insuring car on chassis number and Acorn came up. Another thought was taking third party only cover to reduce costs initially until you have UK registration.

Last edited by luvwelly; May 18th 2012 at 12:28 pm.
Old May 18th 2012, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

I have recently came back to the Uk with my car, i originally bought this car in the Uk, shipped it to a EU country almost 3 years ago and have now brought it back. The DVLA are insisting that I get it insured again before I re register it here and the insurance premiums quoted are horrendously expensive if you do not have a registration number(latest quote £3,700). The DVLA insist that you use the chassis number to insure it and not the previous registration number you had before exporting the car. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did they get around it? thanks would be grateful for any help!
Who did you get a quote from? This concerns me too as we are shipping our car back from Australia. Wasn't expecting that!!!
Old May 18th 2012, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Sorry don't know the answer but it concerns me as I am about to export two cars back to UK, they are NZ cars though.
Maybe you need to get an insurance broker to help out as as you say that level of insurance premium wouldn't make it worth most people's while.

I just googled insuring car on chassis number and Acorn came up. Another thought was taking third party only cover to reduce costs initially until you have UK registration.
That quote was from a broker! I will look up acorn. What i have found out is that insuring a car on the chasis number is very expensive! and the DVLA insist on it being insured before you can re register it, crazy!
Old May 18th 2012, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by robert cowan
Who did you get a quote from? This concerns me too as we are shipping our car back from Australia. Wasn't expecting that!!!
that was from a broker!
Old May 19th 2012, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

kiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to behold

I know where you will get all the answers to this in a jiffy.....www.motorhomefacts.com
your first 5 posts are free, its a huge topic there import export and insurance on chassis numbers, thee guys there will even tell you where to get the best deal.

Last edited by kiwibrit101; May 19th 2012 at 7:38 am.
Old May 19th 2012, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

that was from a broker!
What period did the quote cover - a whole year? Couldn't you insure with them for 1 month and then re-insure more cheaply once you have the UK Registration?

Is your car quite new? Mine are old but low mileage and the steering wheel is on the correct side lol.
Old May 19th 2012, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by luvwelly
What period did the quote cover - a whole year? Couldn't you insure with them for 1 month and then re-insure more cheaply once you have the UK Registration?

Is your car quite new? Mine are old but low mileage and the steering wheel is on the correct side lol.
car is not very old, yes quote covered a whole year but not sure if you can just get it for a month but will look into that
Old May 19th 2012, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kiwibrit101
I know where you will get all the answers to this in a jiffy.....www.motorhomefacts.com
your first 5 posts are free, its a huge topic there import export and insurance on chassis numbers, thee guys there will even tell you where to get the best deal.
Hi I tried that site but you can't do a search without a subscription