Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Re applying for UK driving licence when returning perm to UK

Re applying for UK driving licence when returning perm to UK

Old Nov 8th 2015, 11:36 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re applying for UK driving licence when returning perm to UK

Originally Posted by mentalist
But when you appkly on-line, they ask for previous UK residency addresses. Can I do it without going on-line then?
Just pick up a paper application from the Post Office when you return. If you can order one online for free.

https://www.gov.uk/dvlaforms
Old Nov 9th 2015, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

fezzy1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vadio
I think there's some confusion w/r/t the question about residency when you start this questionnaire:

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence

If you have moved back permanently, then you are resident. AFAIK, the first question is geared to folks who have never held a UK license, and is a 'check' to try to prevent someone getting a license who really isn't a resident. In any case, you can normally drive on your foreign license for 12 months. Insurance will likely be higher however.

DVLA will have you on record; you likely just need to get a new license with your new UK address.

I was out of the UK for 11 years. I just sent in the paperwork when I returned in 2011 with the photo and passport (for proof of identity) and I think something else as proof of address. Got the UK license back in about a week.
I just posted a similar enquiry, can I ask if when you returned to the uk did you declare your foreign addresses as your last 3 years of addresses? And this was accepted no problem? I've been away for 3 years so not sure whether to put the UK for last 3 years where my UK account was held or give my last 3 years addresses abroad?! Thx!
Old Nov 10th 2015, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Went through the on-line DVLA change of address process once more and AGAIN they have stated " Please tell us about all the addresses where you have lived in the last three years." How do I get around that as they only seem to accept UK addresses?
Old Nov 10th 2015, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Went through the on-line DVLA change of address process once more and AGAIN they have stated " Please tell us about all the addresses where you have lived in the last three years." How do I get around that as they only seem to accept UK addresses?
Do it by post?
Old Nov 10th 2015, 10:26 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fezzy1980
I just posted a similar enquiry, can I ask if when you returned to the uk did you declare your foreign addresses as your last 3 years of addresses? And this was accepted no problem? I've been away for 3 years so not sure whether to put the UK for last 3 years where my UK account was held or give my last 3 years addresses abroad?! Thx!
Order Form D1 online or pick it up from the Post Office, complete and post to the DVLA. Problem solved.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

LewPort is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, sorry to drag this post back up from the dead again, but I just wanted to sum things up in simple language as there was a lot of talk of 'change of address' forms etc, which doesn't make sense to me.
  • If you have exchanged your full UK licence for a foreign one (Canada in my case), this means that the DVLA are currently in possession of your pink UK photocard licence.
  • To get this UK licence back, you need to order a D1 form online (or pick it up from a post office) and fill it out with your current details, then send it off along with your foreign licence and some fee.
  • It should take about a week for them to send you your good ol' pink UK licence back to you. Meanwhile you can drive using your UK paper-counterpart licence.
This is correct, right?

Last edited by LewPort; Jan 19th 2016 at 8:33 pm. Reason: formatting etc.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by LewPort
Hi guys, sorry to drag this post back up from the dead again, but I just wanted to sum things up in simple language as there was a lot of talk of 'change of address' forms etc, which doesn't make sense to me.
  • If you have exchanged your full UK licence for a foreign one (Canada in my case), this means that the DVLA are currently in possession of your pink UK photocard licence.
  • To get this UK licence back, you need to order a D1 form online (or pick it up from a post office) and fill it out with your current details, then send it off along with your foreign licence and some fee.
  • It should take about a week for them to send you your good ol' pink UK licence back to you. Meanwhile you can drive using your UK paper-counterpart licence.
This is correct, right?
Not quite. The photocard is (supposedly) returned to the DVLA but it's destroyed so you'll be issued with a new photocard.

Counterparts are no longer valid so you can't drive on it (you should include it with your foreign licence when you send off your application form so the DVLA can dispose of it securely) but you can drive without your photocard licence if it's been sent to the DVLA.

The important bit is to include your GB driving licence number on your application form to ensure you are issued a new photocard using your UK driving records rather than your Canadian licence which would usually limit you to an automatic.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

LewPort is an unknown quantity at this point

Perfect, thanks for clearing that up. I was always given the impression your UK photocard licence was stored and they'd send it back to you. Liars!

And this all takes (give or take a few days) a week, yeah?
Old Jan 19th 2016, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by LewPort
Perfect, thanks for clearing that up. I was always given the impression your UK photocard licence was stored and they'd send it back to you. Liars!

And this all takes (give or take a few days) a week, yeah?
The DVLA are pretty prompt providing you've completed the form correctly and (unlike me last time around) included the fee! There are differing postcodes to use depending on the application type so double check that you're using the right one as there's a separate one for foreign licence exchange.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Chris N Lora will become famous soon enoughChris N Lora will become famous soon enough

Just to clarify, the licence does expire however the category does not.

the licence has a 10 year validation on it however, as normal people do not care to look at the covering paperwork when they get a nice shiny new licence....

if you flip over to the back of the licence it clearly shows that Cat B will expire on the 70th birthday of the licence holder.

why do people make it so complicated when you get back go to the local PO and say you have changed your address fill out the relevant form and bob is your uncle new licence comes to the new address.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Chapponick is an unknown quantity at this point

How long does it take to get your UK licence back?
What about any points put on your licence here in Canada do they go to your UK licence?
Old Oct 26th 2016, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Chapponick
How long does it take to get your UK licence back?
What about any points put on your licence here in Canada do they go to your UK licence?
Probably count on a week to two weeks to be on the safe side although it's usually quicker than that providing your application has been completed correctly.

AFAIK your foreign driving record isn't transferable so any points you may have accrued in Canada won't appear on your UK driving record.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Did you manage to sort out this issue with the online system? I'm in the same situation.

I could put the address that was on the old card that expired a few years ago, but haven't lived there for years.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
Did you manage to sort out this issue with the online system? I'm in the same situation.

I could put the address that was on the old card that expired a few years ago, but haven't lived there for years.
The dvla advises that you should apply by post when the online system doesn't accept your addresses.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 12:49 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Just an aside that may (or may not!) be of interest to people returning from Australia to the UK.

My Australian licence had 2 conditions on it, as a health condition I have is reportable under WA legislation. I had to get a letter from my GP saying I was ok to drive, then when I received my licence written on it was 'take prescribed medication'. Thank you very much for the reminder, you pen pushing jobsworth. I also couldn't renew my licence for 5 years, only 2, and had to go back to my GP after the 2 years and get another letter.

When I sent my Oz licence off to be exchanged for a UK one, my health condition was not listed as reportable. I still worried that once my licence conditions were noted, I'd have to go through all the bullshit again to deem me fit to drive.

There was no problem at all, got my UK licence with no conditions attached and valid for 10 years.

My health condition that WA panicked about? Mild rheumatoid arthritis which only gives me a few aches and pains, and an anti-inflammatory medication that does bugger all to my mental state or reflexes.

I love my home country, but I'm afraid the 'nanny state' label is well deserved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.