Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Re applying for UK driving licence when returning perm to UK

Re applying for UK driving licence when returning perm to UK

Old Jun 29th 2015, 2:29 pm
Ex-pat twice?

apskinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re applying for UK driving licence when returning perm to UK

Actually according to the D1 Form I got from the DVLA there is NO FEE for exchanging a foreign license.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by apskinner
Actually according to the D1 Form I got from the DVLA there is NO FEE for exchanging a foreign license.
That's probably true.
And exchanging a Canadian licence for an English one is the worst possible thing you could do if you have passed a driving test in England at some time in the past.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

If you've ever held a UK license, all you need to do is update to your current details (and possibly get a new photo if DVLA can't *read* your passport photo). I can't remember if I paid a fee, but if I did, it was miniscule.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 4:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
That's probably true.
And exchanging a Canadian licence for an English one is the worst possible thing you could do if you have passed a driving test in England at some time in the past.
Why?
Old Jun 29th 2015, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

Per the DVLA website:

Canadian driving licence
When exchanging your Canadian driving licence you will only be able to drive automatic vehicles. To be able to drive manual vehicles, you will need to provide acceptable proof from the issuing authority or an approved driving school showing that a manual car test was passed.

If you have previously held a UK license, that might be sufficient proof, but DVLA might question why the OP would want to exchange rather than simply provide current details.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 6:41 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

If you've held a British license previously, that is all the proof you need for a manual licence. My husband exchanged his Canadian licence last year on exactly that basis. It really isn't a problem.

I've never known anyone on this forum experiencing any difficulty.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having problems renewing my licence online as my last licence was issued with my title as MRS but my passport which was issued 2 years ago is MS (as I got divorced but kept surname). I'll have to do a postal renewal at a cost of £5 for photo and £17 for renewal fee.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

BenBuzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the help everyone. So the general consensus is that I should just update my details and not go through the whole process of exchanging my Canadian licence.

I know my GB Driver number as I photocopied my old licence before changing it for the Canadian one. I also checked my details using the online DVLA checker and it just tells me that a licence was issued by another authority.

EDIT: Should I update my details online or use the form D1?

Last edited by BenBuzz; Jun 30th 2015 at 12:39 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 1:28 pm
Ex-pat twice?

apskinner is an unknown quantity at this point

Note that you cant just update your details if you obtained a Canadian License by exchanging your UK one in Canada. You can check the DVLA site by providing your Uk Drivers number and it will tell you that you exchanged it for a foreign license.

This was the first thing I checked, you have to exchange back.

If you got your Canadian License without exchanging your UK one then its different, but short of taking a test in Canada I don't see how you would have done this.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

BenBuzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by apskinner
Note that you cant just update your details if you obtained a Canadian License by exchanging your UK one in Canada. You can check the DVLA site by providing your Uk Drivers number and it will tell you that you exchanged it for a foreign license.

This was the first thing I checked, you have to exchange back.

If you got your Canadian License without exchanging your UK one then its different, but short of taking a test in Canada I don't see how you would have done this.
Fair enough then that's what I'll do, thank you! I better make sure it gets sent into the DVLA before the Canadian photocard expires. Hopefully the new UK license only takes a week or so to arrive!
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Despite having left the UK in 1998 and having lost my pink paper license, I followed your advice and retrieved my driving licence number from Gov.UK. However, to change my address (we move to UK in early-January), it appears that I will need to wait until the move. The form also appears to require a UK residential address for the last 3 years. Presumably that can be waived if moving back from overseas. Until then, can I drive on my UAE driving licence?
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

We just updated to our new UK address as soon as we returned to the UK in 2011. You can drive on a foreign license for 12 months, but that usually means higher insurance premiums.

Don't worry about the 3-year UK residential address history.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 7:17 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The paper Form D1 doesn't require your address history, just a current UK address.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

This is just for information as our situation is slightly easier as we moved back to our old address. Before we left Canada, BC, we got a letter from ICBC to validate no claims, then within the first week took our old cards with address on although expired and paper copy to a large post office and they did the application for us including taking photos. A few days later we got our new card licences. We still have our BC driving licences and have not surrended them.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The paper Form D1 doesn't require your address history, just a current UK address.
But when you appkly on-line, they ask for previous UK residency addresses. Can I do it without going on-line then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.