Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Random ramblings coz I;m off work sick

Wikiposts

Random ramblings coz I;m off work sick

Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of
Default Random ramblings coz I;m off work sick

I worked in a supermarket for 3 weeks and during that time I met 3 women who were living in or around my town. It was quite random! And now in my new job a woman I work with is also from the UK. I thought my town was quite small, and would have been surprised to meet any Brits here, let alone 4!

Has anyone else come across more Brits than they thought they would??

I went home to the UK in October...hubby and I bought 35 boxes of herbal tea...it's just so expensive out here. We paid about 70-80p per box...I then visited a British Pantry in Frederick, MD last week and they were selling exactly the same tea for $8!!!!!!!!!!! Incredible.

I'm going to see the Arctic Monkeys in DC next Tuesday. I can't wait!

Think that's it for now...
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 4:42 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random ramblings coz I;m off work sick

That was very random indeed ! I haven't met many Brits at all so whenever I hear a British accent in a supermarket, 'gas' station or wherever I all but accost the poor folk

On our recent cruise however there were Welsh, Scots, English & Irish (both staff & passengers). The girls who did my 'ladies spa day' was from Glasgow and had just joined the staff the day we embarked. Had a great chat about Asda, Baked Beans & Chocolate - you know all the important stuff.

We are going to see The Transiberian Orchestra on the 27th - can't remember why I booked it, the boys looked at me as if I had lost my mind!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 6:25 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshgirl1

We have been to see a ton of British bands since we have been here - all the brits come out of the woodwork for that. I like it as you get to see what are considered to be fairly BIG bands in the UK, in really small venues as they are just starting out over here!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard a few Brit accents in the commissary on base, but not too many, this is the first base we have been too that doesn't have a 'British wives club'
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 6:54 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
I have heard a few Brit accents in the commissary on base, but not too many, this is the first base we have been too that doesn't have a 'British wives club'
Everywhere we were had German wives' clubs, but then the Army didn't have much of a presence in the UK.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Everywhere we were had German wives' clubs, but then the Army didn't have much of a presence in the UK.
Yeah, that's true. I do know that the US Military were very popular in Germany with the local girls, I picked up a little of the language when we were there and to listen to some of the conversations in the nightclub restroom, would really make you blush!

would sometimes make me angry too, listening to the reasons they wanted to hook up, just for green cards!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Burn1911
We have been to see a ton of British bands since we have been here - all the brits come out of the woodwork for that. I like it as you get to see what are considered to be fairly BIG bands in the UK, in really small venues as they are just starting out over here!
When I saw Radiohead playing over here i didn't notice any other British people but I did notice tons of American kids wearing English football shirts.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 7:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The buggers just keep multiplying around here
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 7:49 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

I worked in a supermarket for 3 weeks and during that time I met 3 women who were living in or around my town. It was quite random! And now in my new job a woman I work with is also from the UK. I thought my town was quite small, and would have been surprised to meet any Brits here, let alone 4!

I went home to the UK in October...hubby and I bought 35 boxes of herbal tea...it's just so expensive out here. We paid about 70-80p per box...I then visited a British Pantry in Frederick, MD last week and they were selling exactly the same tea for $8!!!!!!!!!!! Incredible.

I'm seeing the Arctic Monkeys on sunday! Saw them last month in Milwaukee as well. They're the reason I'm in the US as it happens. Long story.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 10:25 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I am in a minority here in town, and run like hell when I hear a british accent when I am in the Bay area on business lol.

I also stock up on tea when in Blighty its so so much cheaper in Tesco's

Hope you feel better soon
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 10:43 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to see Arctic Monkeys in Boston this weekend but it ended up clashing with my work Xmas party. Have been to a few gigs of British bands since moving though - Super Furry Animals (twice), Supergrass (twice), Editors, Franz Ferdinand, Morrissey, Doves.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 10:56 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I used to hear phantom British accents.

I dont hear them anymore, I think it was my brain trying to make as much sense out of what it was hearing as it could.
At first I would ask people where they were from, but soon realized that they all were American, they would look at me oddly and say a nearby town or something, in a clear American accent, so I realized that they were phantom accents, but still had to fight the urge to ask.

Anyone else have the phantom accent phenomena?
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 11:33 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I used to hear phantom British accents.

I dont hear them anymore, I think it was my brain trying to make as much sense out of what it was hearing as it could.
At first I would ask people where they were from, but soon realized that they all were American, they would look at me oddly and say a nearby town or something, in a clear American accent, so I realized that they were phantom accents, but still had to fight the urge to ask.

Anyone else have the phantom accent phenomena?
I don't know, I've had people here in Georgia ask me if I'm from England too, when DH and I are together, and that is AFTER I've been talking to them.

Those of you who have spoken to me on the phone know I don't sound any more British than HM sounds American.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:36 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I wanted to see Arctic Monkeys in Boston this weekend but it ended up clashing with my work Xmas party. Have been to a few gigs of British bands since moving though - Super Furry Animals (twice), Supergrass (twice), Editors, Franz Ferdinand, Morrissey, Doves.
The Doves is one of my ALL TIME Favorite bands, I have seen them live plenty and they never fail to please ..
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:56 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked at the hotel, I thought I would here alot of british accents, it being next to the airport etc, but only heard one in 6 months......

Then I go to work at a kids dentist, and I would say I run into probably 5-8 brits every week at work...... most of them are here with work (P&G) and of course my work is in a 'nice' area and they all are living the dream.... I don't mention to them that I'm in a crappy apartment living from paycheck to paycheck.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.