RAINY AND SUNNY UK?

Old Jun 18th 2007, 3:16 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RAINY AND SUNNY UK?

Originally Posted by mackinnon
There are many microclimates in the UK for such a relatively small place.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feature...tland_02.shtml

Palm Trees
The west coast of Scotland has its very own weather phenomenon that results in unusually high temperatures and flourishing Palm trees. One place affected by this is the small fishing village of Plockton.
Plockton, an 18th century planned village is one of the most beautifully situated villages in Scotland. Not only is it surrounded by mountains but it also enjoys a mild climate. This mild climate can be attributed to several factors. Firstly the village can be found on the east side of a great headland protruding out of Loch Carron, and therefore enjoys a position that protects it from sea gales. Secondly, it enjoys the warm waters of the Gulf Stream which make landfall on the west coast of Scotland. Hence, the reason its pretty harbour is unexpectedly fringed with Palm trees.

Incidentally, the BBC website has loads of information on the UK on it.
bits of the west counrty ie dorset, devon and cornwall also have this weather thing too. it can be 10c warmer and sunny in some places but only 5 miles down the road.... it's so nice to be beside the seaside.......
Old Jun 18th 2007, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
I in MA USA...I had my heating on last week...can't ever remember having it on so late in the UK..
Id still have the heating on for a short time at the moment, but my mum wont let me. lol
Old Jun 18th 2007, 6:05 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

It's the grey that gets to me (as a Texan girl). Days and days of not seeing the sun, and when it's there, it's weak because of the high latitude.

There's also the fact that comparing average rainfall amounts doesn't tell the whole story, either.... it's more about how many days per year it rains. Here it throws down a few inches in an hour but doesn't rain very many days of the year. In much of the UK there are many, many days with some rainfall.

Then there's rain / mist / fog / other humidity which when combined with even moderately cool weather can cause arthritis to flare. I have little to no joint pain here, but in the UK and Dutch winter had a huge amount. OTOH, in the UK it rarely gets cold enough to trigger my asthma, but it can get that cold here in Texas!

I've researched the question and the South East is usually considered to have the "best" climate in the sense that it's warm and receives less rain and less days of rain than the South West. However, that "less rain" combined with a much larger population have meant hose pipe bans (no using hoses to water your garden) in the last few years.

I adore the UK but I do not adore the weather....well, except in summertime, because what there is of it is glorious.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

What really gets to me are the temperature drops.
One day it's 25 degrees the next 15. One day you wear jumper and socks, the next sleaveless top and flip flops.
I can't stand it
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:29 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

My pet hate of living in Edinburgh is for days and days over the summer we have the Haar.

"North Sea Haar
On the east coast of Scotland a sea fog, known locally as Haar, often plagues the local residents and ruins what would otherwise be a fine day. It most commonly occurs between April and September, on or near the east coast or in the Northern Isles." Taken from the BBC article

It been like this for at least a week now and you'll get one day of "dry" weather then the Haar comes back again. I think last year we had the Haar for ages it didn't seem to go away and then it was winter.

Oh and I have been cold at nights, still wearing my jumper as the temp has been really dropping. I feel like summer hasn't came yet?

Here's the view from my window was taken on the 16th July.
Attached Thumbnails RAINY AND SUNNY UK?-dsc08671.jpg  

Last edited by or4ngecrush; Jun 18th 2007 at 8:39 am. Reason: adding
Old Jun 18th 2007, 9:11 am

Here's more taken in summer 2006. Right I'll stop boring you now.
Attached Thumbnails RAINY AND SUNNY UK?-dsc05558.jpg   RAINY AND SUNNY UK?-dsc06121.jpg   RAINY AND SUNNY UK?-dsc05549.jpg  
Old Jun 18th 2007, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
Here's more taken in summer 2006. Right I'll stop boring you now.
I would be constantly on anti depressants if I'd lived there
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:42 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishfinger
I'm currently living in Vancouver and I used to live in the South of England and the rain here in Vancouver is just non stop for at least 80% of the year!

The difference I have found is that when it rains in Vancouver it just goes on and on whereas in England it rains for a while, then stops, you get some sunny days then it might shower again. I think it was the 2005/6 winter that it broke all records in Vancouver as it rained solid for 8 weeks! Give me English weather anyday
Yea but you cant beat the Vancouver summer its much better than UK's
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by trutje
I would be constantly on anti depressants if I'd lived there
Well yes it does bother me a lot. When I was searching for photo's to post every single month in summer 2006 I found I had lots of photo's of the Haar.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:09 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand why so many Brits decide to have vacation properties in other countries.Constant grey skies can effect a person's mood no matter how use to a climate you may be.I have no idea how people live in the Nordic countries of Sweden,Denmark and such.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
I can understand why so many Brits decide to have vacation properties in other countries.Constant grey skies can effect a person's mood no matter how use to a climate you may be.I have no idea how people live in the Nordic countries of Sweden,Denmark and such.

Yeah me and my friends used to go on holidays to Scotland every year and travel all over we found that you could never plan for the weather and it was hardly ever sunny, we used to camp but the last time we did it it was the year where it decided to rain non stop (this was in August 2004) It was horrible and we cut our holiday short. They had floods all over the country and I think we decided to never go camping up north again. lol

Heres a lovely pic of Loch Lomond in 2004
Attached Thumbnails RAINY AND SUNNY UK?-dscn4630.jpg  
Old Jun 18th 2007, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah me and my friends used to go on holidays to Scotland every year and travel all over we found that you could never plan for the weather and it was hardly ever sunny, we used to camp but the last time we did it it was the year where it decided to rain non stop (this was in August 2004) It was horrible and we cut our holiday short. They had floods all over the country and I think we decided to never go camping up north again. lol

Heres a lovely pic of Loch Lomond in 2004
I miss a "lovely" picture of 2005
I'll never complain about the weather here in the south anymore

Do you ever see the sun?
Old Jun 18th 2007, 12:03 pm

I miss a "lovely" picture of 2005
I'll never complain about the weather here in the south anymore

Do you ever see the sun?
Yes you do occasionally.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 12:09 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

What really gets to me are the temperature drops.
One day it's 25 degrees the next 15. One day you wear jumper and socks, the next sleaveless top and flip flops.
I can't stand it
We get that in a day...you wake up its 53 outside...it climbs to 75/85 and its real humid...then it drops to the high 50s by 6m...
About 4 years ago late April...we had a heat wave..for about 4 days...woke up on my daughters birthday and we had 3ft of snow on the roof....
Old Jun 18th 2007, 12:13 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

My pet hate of living in Edinburgh is for days and days over the summer we have the Haar.

"North Sea Haar
On the east coast of Scotland a sea fog, known locally as Haar, often plagues the local residents and ruins what would otherwise be a fine day. It most commonly occurs between April and September, on or near the east coast or in the Northern Isles." Taken from the BBC article

It been like this for at least a week now and you'll get one day of "dry" weather then the Haar comes back again. I think last year we had the Haar for ages it didn't seem to go away and then it was winter.

Oh and I have been cold at nights, still wearing my jumper as the temp has been really dropping. I feel like summer hasn't came yet?

Here's the view from my window was taken on the 16th July.
We get Cape Cod fog in the summer...we seem to get a nice day...then it rolls in at about 5:00pm....it reminds me of the Film 'The Fog'...I used to get my daughter from work at around 12 at night it would be rolling off the bay and across the road...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.