Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Rain rain go away come back another day

Rain rain go away come back another day

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rain rain go away come back another day

Originally Posted by britvic
The Royal Air Force...the Royal Navy..Royal Marine's, and yet they do not use the term The Royal Army, is that because they are all different regiments
Yes,but there has been a recently retired Army Brigadier on Sky who states that there arent enough soldiers left in the UK to help out with the floods.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Yes,but there has been a recently retired Army Brigadier on Sky who states that there arent enough soldiers left in the UK to help out with the floods.
Worrying time's indeed as was seen over here
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Somehow that doesnt surprise me. The govt have been scaling back military spending for years.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Well, just got an update from my mum and it sounds pretty dire. She says that the pumping station at Mythe is flooded and it's only a matter of time before it fails completely. When it does all of Gloucester, Cheltenham and Tewkesbury will be without running water for 7-10 days. Also, the Gloucester power station has failed so Gloucester has no power and no time frame for it to be restored. The army is trying to pump the Cheltenham one to stop it from failing but it sounds like it's an impossible task and it will fail sooner or later. The hospital she works at (not NHS) has closed because they only have enough backup for 10 hours of water and 12 hours of power.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Well, just got an update from my mum and it sounds pretty dire. She says that the pumping station at Mythe is flooded and it's only a matter of time before it fails completely. When it does all of Gloucester, Cheltenham and Tewkesbury will be without running water for 7-10 days. Also, the Gloucester power station has failed so Gloucester has no power and no time frame for it to be restored. The army is trying to pump the Cheltenham one to stop it from failing but it sounds like it's an impossible task and it will fail sooner or later. The hospital she works at (not NHS) has closed because they only have enough backup for 10 hours of water and 12 hours of power.
The poor thing. I would be really starting to panic by now. I dont suppose she can get out of town either seeing as the roads are all flooded. I really hope that she's stocked up on fresh water and also that she's not alone either. You must be really worried.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I am starting to get worried although I think she'll be fine. My sister and her boyfriend are there and they are all pretty capable if a situation arises. The bummer is that my sister and her boyfriend are going traveling for a couple of years in a few weeks and Saturday was supposed to be their big send off. Add to that, my wifes best friend is supposed to be arriving there on Thursday to stay for a few days while she is traveling, it all kind of sucks. It's not going to be a very fun couple of weeks.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, I am starting to get worried although I think she'll be fine. My sister and her boyfriend are there and they are all pretty capable if a situation arises. The bummer is that my sister and her boyfriend are going traveling for a couple of years in a few weeks and Saturday was supposed to be their big send off. Add to that, my wifes best friend is supposed to be arriving there on Thursday to stay for a few days while she is traveling, it all kind of sucks. It's not going to be a very fun couple of weeks.
At least she's not alone. That would be terrifying for her and also for you, stuck over here so far away.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Finally managed to get in touch with my brother,yesterday,and my mum was at his house for the day,she was one of the Gilbert Court (Thatcham)residents who were evacuated,her flat was flooded,anyway they've been placed in another Assisted Living place not too far away,for two to three weeks,while their flats are thoroughly cleaned. My brother tried to get into her flat to get her insurance papers,but the police wouldn't let anyone in for anything,he's going to try to drive over to my sister's house in Tadley to see if it's okay...my sister and her family are on vacation in Tenerife,hope it's okay!...My brother said the water in the area is 4 feet deep in some places around Thatcham,his house is ok because it's on higher ground,but he said the water has been running down the hill and turns just before his house and flows straight into some bungelows on the opposite side of the road from him...how awful,it's just unbelieveable!...he said the news reporter was saying that they've had 4 months of rain in 6 hours!!!!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Been checking out youtube. Wow. Some funny commentary in funny accents with some colorful language thrown in here and there!

Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:28 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Took me 6 hours to get from Lingfield Surrey to Rooks Bridge Somerset last friday due to landslides on the M25 and flooding and more landslides on the M4. Tewkesbury is now an island as Gloucester soon will be. However, were I am is dry and very sunny today.

Pass the cider son.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 4:10 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I flew out from Heathrow yesterday, was supposed to have been Sunday. We got bumped as 140 flights were cancelled on Friday, and they're still trying to get the backlog out of the way. The compensation they gave us paid for our flights, and we got away fine. Parents in Essex are safe and sound, thankfully. Hope the rains don't get them too.

The pictures of Tewkesbury and Gloucester are just incredible...

Just saw this. How tragic.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maz
I flew out from Heathrow yesterday, was supposed to have been Sunday. We got bumped as 140 flights were cancelled on Friday, and they're still trying to get the backlog out of the way. The compensation they gave us paid for our flights, and we got away fine. Parents in Essex are safe and sound, thankfully. Hope the rains don't get them too.

The pictures of Tewkesbury and Gloucester are just incredible...

Just saw this. How tragic.
Thats too awful for words.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Adnams
Thats too awful for words.
Agreed, I read it earlier and it really made me feel crap. It's amazing that (as far as I know) no one has died directly because of the floods but then something like this happens.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, I read it earlier and it really made me feel crap. It's amazing that (as far as I know) no one has died directly because of the floods but then something like this happens.
A toddler drowned last week in a stream at a holiday cottage that is usually only an inch or two deep =(

That is the only fatality to date though. Cross fingers Thursday and Friday's rains do not push anywhere else over the top so to speak.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:04 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Been checking out youtube. Wow. Some funny commentary in funny accents with some colorful language thrown in here and there!
cheers for that Duncan. I think i remember most of those places

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.