Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Rain rain go away come back another day

Rain rain go away come back another day

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rain rain go away come back another day

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
All I can say is ****! If you want to see some of the most nuts stuff you've ever seen, check out the BBC Gloucestershire website, the latest news and the galleries. Wow.
Its crazy and BBC news saying thet the levels are due to rise further today / tomorrow.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
Its crazy and BBC news saying thet the levels are due to rise further today / tomorrow.
Yeah. What my mum said was that these floods were just the flash floods because the drains couldn't cope with the water. Now it's draining into the rivers and they are going to burst and flood everything again.

One "funny" picture I saw is of the new 25 million flood defense system (which after last time the council renamed a flood mitigation system) at Coxs Meadow in Cheltenham. Not sure if it really defended or mitigated anything, I think the only true part of it's name is the word flood!

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Ummm from the looks of that I dont think it mitigated anything? Someones design fault or probably not built to withstand these types of floods, a cost cutting exercise no doubt.

I cant imagine how grim it must be to have to clear your house out of all that mucky water and how much you must lose. Your poor Mum.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 3:04 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Yeah. What my mum said was that these floods were just the flash floods because the drains couldn't cope with the water. Now it's draining into the rivers and they are going to burst and flood everything again.

One "funny" picture I saw is of the new 25 million flood defense system (which after last time the council renamed a flood mitigation system) at Coxs Meadow in Cheltenham. Not sure if it really defended or mitigated anything, I think the only true part of it's name is the word flood!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire...dow470x300.jpg
My aunt is about 2 miles up the road from there and was complaining about the waste of money that was ploughed into that thing
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 3:18 pm

special ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Paul S
My aunt is about 2 miles up the road from there and was complaining about the waste of money that was ploughed into that thing
Although presumbaly now, local people will be complaining that the local council were too tightfisted and need to spend more money, something must be done etc etc
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by special ed
Although presumbaly now, local people will be complaining that the local council were too tightfisted and need to spend more money, something must be done etc etc
From what I understand, there were concerns about how effective the scheme would be when it was proposed. I don't think anyone was saying that it was a bad idea to do something or that they didn't want the council to spend the money, more that they needed to spend it on something that was going to work.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 3:44 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw on TV - the Air Force has been called in to rescue flood victims.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mallory
Just saw on TV - the Air Force has been called in to rescue flood victims.
Air Force???

That'll be the R.A.F then, always got put the R first.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 4:29 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Air Force???

That'll be the R.A.F then, always got put the R first.
Well it was an American newcaster speaking on Headline News, and he said in the UK, flood victims were being picked up by the Air Force. They didn't mention Royal - perhaps USAF is joining in.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Well it was an American newcaster speaking on Headline News, and he said in the UK, flood victims were being picked up by the Air Force. They didn't mention Royal - perhaps USAF is joining in.
Pretty sure our Boy's will do there bit before anyone else is called in to help.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 4:47 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britvic
Pretty sure our Boy's will do there bit before anyone else is called in to help.
as bad as it is for the folks back home i bet they are thankful they don't have the heat and 100% humidity that nawlins had when katrina hit that just makes the situation 100 times worse with an even higher risk of disease from sewage back up etc.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

They should still get the name right shouldnt they? I think thats called good reporting and editorial management of the newscast. But then again you dont see a lot of good editorial managment on US news.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 5:11 pm
In the pink

They should still get the name right shouldnt they? I think thats called good reporting and editorial management of the newscast. But then again you dont see a lot of good editorial managment on US news.
That's true - but I think they put it up so fast on Headline News, they don't stop to check. They want to be first.

I looked on Google, and CNN put the headline - Air Force to aid flood victims -but when you read the actual Reuters newsflash it says Royal Air Force.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

That's true - but I think they put it up so fast on Headline News, they don't stop to check. They want to be first.

I looked on Google, and CNN put the headline - Air Force to aid flood victims -but when you read the actual Reuters newsflash it says Royal Air Force.
Reuters are usually on the ball has to be said. I was splitting hairs anyway Monday morning and its raining to boot!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Reuters are usually on the ball has to be said. I was splitting hairs anyway Monday morning and its raining to boot!
The Royal Air Force...the Royal Navy..Royal Marine's, and yet they do not use the term The Royal Army, is that because they are all different regiments

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.