Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Rain rain go away come back another day

Rain rain go away come back another day

Old Jul 21st 2007, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rain rain go away come back another day

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6909633.stm

Hope everyones families friends relatives dont get caught in this pickle.

Monsoon in Blighty? What the devils going on?
Old Jul 21st 2007, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rain rain go away come back another day

I just found out about. No pictures this time but from what I understand, it was about 2 feet higher round my mums house than it was last time. The same houses got flooded, plus a few more. More cars got buggered, including the courtesy car her next door neighbours have because theirs is still recovering from the last flood! This time it was almost in mums house, it got to the garage but didn't quite get in thanks to some nifty make shift defense that my sister put up. I heard something like 10,000 cars were stuck on the M5 over night as well. Crazy stuff.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 10:47 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Spoke to my aunt earlier today. They are all okay even she did have to venture outside and open a manhole cover to get the rivers of water to drain there rather than into her house (not bad considering she broke her leg a little under 3 months ago).

No word on me Dad though (lives on a narrow boat up near Stourport). Had no issues last time and by all accounts was fine yesterday, although i haven't been able to raise him on his mobile (which is nothing new).
Old Jul 21st 2007, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Maidenhead, Newbury and Thatcham were hit quite bad. We had a 30cm deep lake at the end of the garden as well as a flooded greenhouse and shed.

luckily, we live next door to a school and they were pumping out the grounds today - so our garden got pumped too
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 3:09 am
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Adnams

Just waiting for the Water Companies urging people in the UK to save water, but they've been very quiet recently.

Now, the bloody insurance companies are banging up premiums because of the flooding.

If the insurance companies don't want to take the risk of flooding.....why did they take the customers money in the first place???????
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams

My wife's sister in Yorkshire has been flooded and has had to move everything upstairs. They reckon it will take months to dry out downstairs. They have fans and dryers going night and day to dry the place out.

Last edited by surly; Jul 22nd 2007 at 3:30 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dh010447
Maidenhead, Newbury and Thatcham were hit quite bad. We had a 30cm deep lake at the end of the garden as well as a flooded greenhouse and shed.

luckily, we live next door to a school and they were pumping out the grounds today - so our garden got pumped too
Yes I just found out about the floods yesterday,couldn't get hold of any family on the phone,but I looked at www.newburytoday.co.uk
and the assisted living place my mum lives, in Thatcham, evacuated 33 people,she was probably one of them as her flat is on the ground floor,I've been trying to get hold of my brother or sister since yesterday....still trying!,I'm sure my mum is ok,otherwise I know someone would've called me...I hope!
I know they said Brize Norton has had 4.6 inches of rain and it's the most on record.....unbelievable!!
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here
Just waiting for the Water Companies urging people in the UK to save water, but they've been very quiet recently.
You probably said that as a joke, but I got an email from my mum. "Now it looks as if we will be without water for a few days - they say we will probably be cut off tonight as water stocks are running low."
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 7:33 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine was supposed to be exchanging contracts this coming Friday, suffice to say, the whole plan is off with purchasing their next home. I feel bad for everyone.... 2 months worth of rain in 4 hours?!?! HC. She sent me a photo of the lane to the house... you can see a water line on the house on the left.
Attached Thumbnails Rain rain go away come back another day-fw.jpg  
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 11:45 pm
an mhaith leat cupán tae?

Tea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Paul S
Spoke to my aunt earlier today. They are all okay even she did have to venture outside and open a manhole cover to get the rivers of water to drain there rather than into her house (not bad considering she broke her leg a little under 3 months ago).

No word on me Dad though (lives on a narrow boat up near Stourport). Had no issues last time and by all accounts was fine yesterday, although i haven't been able to raise him on his mobile (which is nothing new).
I wouldn't worry about your Dad, sounds like he is in the best place....

Tea Pot
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, my sister took some pictures. To say it was worse than last time is a little understatement...!

No one was hurt which is good. The houses that were trashed last time were still in the ripped out stage so thats not so bad but a few others flooded badly this time. Crazy, crazy stuff.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 3:42 am
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
You probably said that as a joke, but I got an email from my mum. "Now it looks as if we will be without water for a few days - they say we will probably be cut off tonight as water stocks are running low."
First thing to go in a flood is fresh drinking water, because of the power that pumping stations need. I lived in Tewkesbury and the whole place is a nightmare. Bad sewage, fresh water, a plumbers nightmare. My parents are heartbroken with yet another flood. One small glimmer of hope, the underground water table at least should be full, after years of very little water.

P.S. Duncan, can your parents get bottled water? Tell em to buy as much as they can.

Last edited by lanky spoken here; Jul 23rd 2007 at 3:53 am. Reason: Post Script
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

My grandparents live near Ledbury, Herefordshire - last Friday over 4 inches of rain fell in a downpour and the town was cut off and over 500 people were stranded and had to be put up in community centre and schools overnight. This morning Monday 23/07 Tewkesbury, not far fom Ledbury, is an island and completely cut off still and the water is still rising, as it is at Upton-upon-Severn and at Gloucester. Many roads in the area are still impassable.

Brize Norton, Oxfordshire, recorded 5.73ins of rain in the thunderstorm rains on Friday which were worst in Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire and Herefordshire. Last night residents of a care home in Herefordshire had to be evacuated. There is no drinking water for thousands of people in the affected areas.

All this follows on from the series of nasty floods in other parts of the country in this weird "summer" - Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, and many other places. Even parts of London have had streets flooded.

Today more heavy rains are forecast and it is already pouring down again in many parts and up to two more inches of rain are expected in Kent and Essex.

There has never been a "summer" quite like it in the UK and I reckon it's all to do with climate change and global warming or whatever. Floods usually occur in the winter so who knows what will happen next winter.

Scotland usually gets heavy rain and bad weather - but the normally wet parts of Scotland have been unusually dry - all the rains have been down in England. The Jet Stream is much further south than normal. Something really weird is going on in the atmosphere.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

John Ketley was saying you have to go back to 1947 and then 1912 for floods anywhere near this bad. I think that counts as severity though, not cover. It doesn't look like they were anywhere near so widespread.

Apparently, it's all because the summer southerly hasn't arrived from the azores, unusual but far from unheard of. As such, our westerly jet stream is crashing straight into the European easterly (currently originating with 40c+ winds from Asia minor, hence East Europes heat wave) which is causing torrential downpours monsoon style.

Probably the most accurate piece of information I've read in the Mail for years
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

All I can say is ****! If you want to see some of the most nuts stuff you've ever seen, check out the BBC Gloucestershire website, the latest news and the galleries. Wow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.