Racism in the UK

Old Oct 28th 2019, 2:01 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism in the UK

My whitish in skin tone in the winter and very brown in the summer half British, half Mexican, brought up in the US and American-sounding son seems to be capitalizing nicely on his American accent - it seems to come in useful both for chatting with girls and for giving presentations in class. No prejudice issues there. The only issues he has had have been town/gown issues (Portsmouth FFS, not Oxbridge) but not too much of that, and some British white nastiness towards some British black people. That last one blew him away, since he had never encountered it in the UK before although he was very familiar with it here.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 2:58 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
When we lived in the UK Mrs L was badly assaulted while shopping in Uxbridge one Saturday. Some guy didn't like her accent and punched her in the head several times. It was the only time in the ten years she lived in the UK anything like that happened, usually she got special treatment being American.

The guy that did it was stupid enough to do so in front of the town precinct CCTV, and it didn't end well for him.
Your poor wife. Did anyone come to her rescue?
That is so unexplainable on most every level. Was the neighborhood a challenging place? Is this a reflection of the crime rate in that London area? Did the authorities send that perpetrator for mental health examination?
A preexisting mental condition is the only thing that would make sense. So sorry your wife went through such a horrifying experience.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 5:37 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Wow! That is awful. I hope Mrs L wasn't hurt too badly.
She was badly bruised and had concussion, but fortunately nothing broken.

Old Oct 28th 2019, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I have been considering moving back to the UK in a few years. However I have started to see tweets against white Americans and telling them to go home. My kids have American accents and I do not really want to subject them to this kind of environment. However Twitter is not always the best source of information. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this kind of thing happening in the UK.
At least in the north-east UK I can say generally Americans and Canadians are not only treated politely but people seem o have a lot of goodwill towards Americans, and always wanting to ask questions about America .
Old Oct 28th 2019, 5:08 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Our situation in visiting the UK for nearly two months is different from living in that place because you don't have sufficient time to see the good bad and indifferent. But honestly we did not experience any negative feedback at all. No bad attitudes directed at us because we're American, or anger at us which sometimes can happen due to people attaching a bias at a person because of the actions of that person's government. Which is kind of weird since a great many people in America don't even vote.

We found brits to be friendly in most every area of the country. But our most memorable encounters took place in Manchester, Liverpool, Brighton Beach, Glasgow, and Edinburgh.
We had several very friendly encounters in London despite the fact that most huge cities in the world are usually not friendly places. New York city being one of them and yet I have found some extremely kind people there as well. I was thinking the family dynamic(seeing a family with kids) might be partly responsible for Brits being more open to us. But truth is I encountered the same kind treatment even when out on my own.

There are always going to be a few people that will dislike you for a great many unreasonable explanations. Because you're attractive, or in their opinion not their cup of tea. Because you are viewed as using the system, or because you have a few nickels to rub together. Or because you have a natural tan, or because you're a quiet conservative person and not always open and talkative. There will be a few people that will not like you for being an American or Canadian. But that will not matter.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 5:38 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
Your poor wife. Did anyone come to her rescue?
That is so unexplainable on most every level. Was the neighborhood a challenging place? Is this a reflection of the crime rate in that London area? Did the authorities send that perpetrator for mental health examination?
A preexisting mental condition is the only thing that would make sense. So sorry your wife went through such a horrifying experience.
Uxbridge was never a challenging place. It was one of the nicer parts of Hillingdon. It was in the run up to Christmas and busy with Christmas shoppers, the guy was just your average thug who thought lashing out was the acceptable way.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 5:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I have been considering moving back to the UK in a few years. However I have started to see tweets against white Americans and telling them to go home. My kids have American accents and I do not really want to subject them to this kind of environment. However Twitter is not always the best source of information. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this kind of thing happening in the UK.
How old are your children?

Most kids I know of pick up the new accent pretty quickly. Someone once told me that they move before the age 11 they naturally adopt the new accent quickly. After 11...it’s up to them, but I think many do and find it easy to do so.

My daughter was 11 when we moved to NJ. She was 18 when she moved to Toronto. Depending who she is speaking to, she speaks with one of the 3 accents. During the first parent/teacher meeting at high school, her class teacher was amazed to find out we were British.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 10:06 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How old are your children?

Most kids I know of pick up the new accent pretty quickly. Someone once told me that they move before the age 11 they naturally adopt the new accent quickly. After 11...it’s up to them, but I think many do and find it easy to do so.

My daughter was 11 when we moved to NJ. She was 18 when she moved to Toronto. Depending who she is speaking to, she speaks with one of the 3 accents. During the first parent/teacher meeting at high school, her class teacher was amazed to find out we were British.
My son was 10 when we moved to Australia abd within 6 months sounded like he'd been hereall his life. My daughter was 12 and still sounds Canadian. Albeit with a bit of Australian in there. She's mistaken for Irish (so am I though) a lot.