Racism in the UK

Old Oct 24th 2019, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Racism in the UK

I have been considering moving back to the UK in a few years. However I have started to see tweets against white Americans and telling them to go home. My kids have American accents and I do not really want to subject them to this kind of environment. However Twitter is not always the best source of information. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this kind of thing happening in the UK.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 5:48 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism in the UK

Originally Posted by mrken30
I have been considering moving back to the UK in a few years. However I have started to see tweets against white Americans and telling them to go home. My kids have American accents and I do not really want to subject them to this kind of environment. However Twitter is not always the best source of information. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this kind of thing happening in the UK.
I returned to Oz late last year, after living in the north west of England for 3 years. Never heard or saw anything like that. The Americans we encountered in pubs (white and black) were treated like Australians, exotic and interesting, and we'd invariably get a few rounds brought for us while being peppered with questions about our country.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 7:44 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We just spent a month in the UK and being Canadian my accent is often mistaken for American. In all places we went I never saw or heard anything that sounded even remotely lije what you're describing. Locals in the pubs we went to were really friendly all across northern England and throughout Scotland.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

If you go by Twitter the whole world is now racist. How does a Polish person feel in the US and how do Scottish people mange in England? I'm sure you'll hear horror stories and others only had a positive experience. If you are interested, this is a very good article about British living in Ireland https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...lish-1.4054045
Old Oct 24th 2019, 5:50 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Just keep away from Guardian-reading liberals and you'll be fine.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Just keep away from Guardian-reading liberals
and brexit orientated threads on BE!
and you'll be fine!
Old Oct 24th 2019, 7:10 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on their age they’ll probably get ribbed at school for their accents but I’d hardly call that “racism”.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 7:31 pm
Cruising through BE

LARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond repute

I just came back from the UK/ Europe. I didn't encounter any racism while in the UK.

I usually talk to locals and they cant really pin point my accent. I haven't had any problems with racism just the normal coldness that I've gotten use to.

But while in Italy.. I was told "Go back to your country you Mexican wetback.." all because I was bargaining the price of a tote bag lol.. wowza..
Old Oct 24th 2019, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Our USC son moved back to the UK 2 years ago after 30 years in the USA from age 5. Very strong American accent, got a job within 6 weeks of arriving back and totally accepted, he finds that his accent is a great conversation starter and folks are really interested in hearing his story. They usually can’t believe he left Houston to go work in Middlesbrough
Old Oct 25th 2019, 4:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Depending on their age they’ll probably get ribbed at school for their accents but I’d hardly call that “racism”.
Lets face it, that even happens to kids moving within the UK!
Old Oct 26th 2019, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Britishbitz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Lets face it, that even happens to kids moving within the UK!
Happened to me when I moved to Australia with mum back in the 90's I came home from school in tears after my first day at an Aussie school. Kids can be cruel :/
Old Oct 27th 2019, 1:41 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Based on my experience there shouldn't be any major concerns you will need to prepare for guard against. My wife is British, I'm American and our three sons are American born with dual citizenship. We recently spent nearly two months in the UK and other European countries and to be honest being an American was a plus in several ways. Our accents definitely brought a lot of attention to us but it was very favorable. Our 15 year old made friends quickly and many of the other youngsters were curious about him in part because of his accent. I don't think you'll have any major problems but if you want to error on the side of caution just be mindful before picking which neighborhood to select. Btw, I had my share of beers bought for me once a few very kind brits found out I was American. Of course I returned the favor.

Good luck!
Old Oct 27th 2019, 11:10 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

When we lived in the UK Mrs L was badly assaulted while shopping in Uxbridge one Saturday. Some guy didn't like her accent and punched her in the head several times. It was the only time in the ten years she lived in the UK anything like that happened, usually she got special treatment being American.

The guy that did it was stupid enough to do so in front of the town precinct CCTV, and it didn't end well for him.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 12:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
When we lived in the UK Mrs L was badly assaulted while shopping in Uxbridge one Saturday. Some guy didn't like her accent and punched her in the head several times. It was the only time in the ten years she lived in the UK anything like that happened, usually she got special treatment being American.

The guy that did it was stupid enough to do so in front of the town precinct CCTV, and it didn't end well for him.
Wow! That is awful. I hope Mrs L wasn't hurt too badly.

My son moved back to the UK 10 years ago after being in the US 20 years. He moved to Cambridge which is very much a multi culture city so he blended in immediately. Strange thing though he still sounds more Texan than we do after 30 years here.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 1:49 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Wow! That is awful. I hope Mrs L wasn't hurt too badly.

My son moved back to the UK 10 years ago after being in the US 20 years. He moved to Cambridge which is very much a multi culture city so he blended in immediately. Strange thing though he still sounds more Texan than we do after 30 years here.
The Texas accent tend to be a bit deeper than most southern versions, which mean it might have staying power.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Oct 28th 2019 at 1:52 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.