Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Rabies Titre Test-Take Two!

Rabies Titre Test-Take Two!

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 12:15 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rabies Titre Test-Take Two!

Okay, my pup had her (second) rabies titre test blood draw on Saturday, so it's been over 30 days since her vaccination, and now I hope the USDA will be satisfied. As usual, pup was affectionate and cat-like to all the staff, (she likes to sit on your shoulder or weave around your legs) and she was well-behaved considering how busy it was in there.

The vet, however, is recommending I get tests done for possible von Willebrands disease (haemophilia) as she said that when they are done poking her with a needle, it takes a long time for the bleeding to stop. She said that this could be caused by high blood pressure as she's so excited. I personally think this is the case, as she gets so excited that I'm surprised she doesn't pee herself. Also, when her baby teeth come loose, they bleed for 30 seconds or so, but then it stops, so if it were something more sinister, surely they would bleed for a lot longer. Hope that's the case, anyway.

Last edited by katesbackagain; Jul 23rd 2007 at 12:38 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rabies Titre Test-Take Two!

I am sorry your baby had to be poked again with big needles...I hope she doesn't have hemophilia.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:26 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Okay, my pup had her (second) rabies titre test blood draw on Saturday, so it's been over 30 days since her vaccination, and now I hope the USDA will be satisfied. As usual, pup was affectionate and cat-like to all the staff, (she likes to sit on your shoulder or weave around your legs) and she was well-behaved considering how busy it was in there.

The vet, however, is recommending I get tests done for possible von Willebrands disease (haemophilia) as she said that when they are done poking her with a needle, it takes a long time for the bleeding to stop. She said that this could be caused by high blood pressure as she's so excited. I personally think this is the case, as she gets so excited that I'm surprised she doesn't pee herself. Also, when her baby teeth come loose, they bleed for 30 seconds or so, but then it stops, so if it were something more sinister, surely they would bleed for a lot longer. Hope that's the case, anyway.
Did I miss something? Why did she need a second test? Did the first one not come back positive? That stinks!

Keep the faith - I think the PETs thing was the most stressful part of the whole process of moving, but lots of people here got through it just fine. Think of it as the Tour de France - don't think too much about the next 20 stages, just keep your eyes on the next 10 feet of road and when you get there, look ahead at the next 10 feet. Keep pedalling!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:08 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Did I miss something? Why did she need a second test? Did the first one not come back positive? That stinks!

Keep the faith - I think the PETs thing was the most stressful part of the whole process of moving, but lots of people here got through it just fine. Think of it as the Tour de France - don't think too much about the next 20 stages, just keep your eyes on the next 10 feet of road and when you get there, look ahead at the next 10 feet. Keep pedalling!

No, she didn't fail on the first. The vet didn't even send it to the lab, because the extremely anal USDA told her after she had drawn it that it had to be done 30 days after the vaccination. :curse: Dunno if this is a new rule or what, but I didn't want to risk them sending pup's paperwork back as incomplete at the last minute.

I'm feeling a little better now that we've at least got this far, but I'm nervously awaiting the results (about 3-4 weeks, they said). With her having 2 vaccines so close together, she should have antibodies up the wazoo, but there's always that niggling doubt. It's really just the worry of timing all the paperwork with the flights, and the flight itself that I'll be concerning myself with after that. She's a tough little bugger, though, so she should be okay. Hopefully, she won't have that awful disease, either.

Thanks for the well wishes!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Shivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond reputeShivster has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the furry baby.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, Kate, now you've scared me. My vet took the titre test right after my baby's vaccination (it wasn't her first, as she was 13). She passed with flying colors, so I just assumed everything would be ok. It's too late now, as I'm leaving in September, so I'm just going to have to hope that my USDA vet doesn't freak out over the titre. Yikes.

BTW: Saw my vet out and about on a walk yesterday, and she started talking about the amount of paperwork they've been checking out for the PETS test. She has been quite astonished by it all -- me, I'm just severely stressed!!!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:22 pm
Former Floridian

Originally Posted by TaraC
Ok, Kate, now you've scared me. My vet took the titre test right after my baby's vaccination (it wasn't her first, as she was 13). She passed with flying colors, so I just assumed everything would be ok. It's too late now, as I'm leaving in September, so I'm just going to have to hope that my USDA vet doesn't freak out over the titre. Yikes.

BTW: Saw my vet out and about on a walk yesterday, and she started talking about the amount of paperwork they've been checking out for the PETS test. She has been quite astonished by it all -- me, I'm just severely stressed!!!
I wouldn’t worry too much. I think the USDA rep for my area is just being a little TOO strict. I didn’t see anywhere on the DEFRA website that it has to be 30 days after the vaccine. As long as your baby’s immune, I think that’s all they care about.

Yah, my vet is also amazed at the hoops we have to jump through, but isn’t it great that we have vets that care about doing it right and research everything properly? She’s taking a weight off my shoulders, I know that!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
I wouldn’t worry too much. I think the USDA rep for my area is just being a little TOO strict. I didn’t see anywhere on the DEFRA website that it has to be 30 days after the vaccine. As long as your baby’s immune, I think that’s all they care about.

Yah, my vet is also amazed at the hoops we have to jump through, but isn’t it great that we have vets that care about doing it right and research everything properly? She’s taking a weight off my shoulders, I know that!
I really hope you're right about the USDA. I'm just going to keep really quiet and hope for the best.

The vets are brilliant with all this. I feel quite sorry for mine, as they're really concerned about getting it right. I even had the vet from the Florida shelter where I got my rescue cat last year sending me letters / certs, etc. (we're in Virginia and got him through Siamese Rescue). It's so nice that they care so much. However, my vet did tell me that the UK is a doddle compared to Australia. They had to do an Australian one last year and almost lost staff over it, it was so stressful. It was so bad that they even ended up having to send one of their aides up to Washington Dulles airport (a minimum 2-hour drive) the day the animal left, as they'd forgotten something. Really really hope that doesn't happen with my two.

I'm sorry to hear about your puppy. do let us know what the test shows? Hopefully it'll be good news.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to say that from whaty I was told its correct on the 30 day thing.

I knew this before having my dog rabies vacinated as my vet in Uk told me to wait at least 30 days.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will be ok as it was not your dogs first injection.

As long as you did not allow the other one to run out and had him/her vacinated at the correct time its ok.

If not you have to start the whole process over again, vacination then test then dog not allowed to travell to Uk for 6 months after the clear test.

There is talk of them lowering this 6 months but as yet no concrete news.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by loopylorns
I think you will be ok as it was not your dogs first injection.

As long as you did not allow the other one to run out and had him/her vacinated at the correct time its ok.

If not you have to start the whole process over again, vacination then test then dog not allowed to travell to Uk for 6 months after the clear test.

There is talk of them lowering this 6 months but as yet no concrete news.
I'm going to have to run all this by the USDA & DEFRA again. I can't believe I may have messed all this up after all the research. What a mess.

As far as I remember, her vaccination was up to date. They microchipped her, gave her the new vacc and then did the test all at the same time. She passed the test with points to spare, so the vet said she was good to go. I'm going to now be making a panicked call to DEFRA to see what they tell me. Feel a bit sick now!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok. Just got off the phone with DEFRA and USDA, and kitty is fine. Their big concern is that the microchip, vacc and test be done in the right order (which they were, thank goodness), and that she passed the test. According to DEFRA, they "advise" a 30-day wait, but it isn't a legal requirement. Holy cow, need to go have a very large drink now!!!

Kate: I'm sorry you had to go through this twice. I think my USDA office isn't as strict as yours!
Old Jul 29th 2007, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Ok. Just got off the phone with DEFRA and USDA, and kitty is fine. Their big concern is that the microchip, vacc and test be done in the right order (which they were, thank goodness), and that she passed the test. According to DEFRA, they "advise" a 30-day wait, but it isn't a legal requirement. Holy cow, need to go have a very large drink now!!!

Kate: I'm sorry you had to go through this twice. I think my USDA office isn't as strict as yours!
Glad you are sorted out ok.

As it was not your dogs first rabies vac it obv had enough in its blood stream already.

Tell me about the order! my stupid vet vaccinated before chipping so my dog then had to wait 4 weeks then have vaccination again!!!

My dog is free today!! he can now fly back and forth without hassle.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by loopylorns
Glad you are sorted out ok.

As it was not your dogs first rabies vac it obv had enough in its blood stream already.

Tell me about the order! my stupid vet vaccinated before chipping so my dog then had to wait 4 weeks then have vaccination again!!!

My dog is free today!! he can now fly back and forth without hassle.
Congratulations. Do you have a due date to leave with him? It'd be good to know how you did actually going through at the other end. I'm worried that even though I think I'm doing everything right, something will go haywire at heathrow.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

I will get back to you on how it goes, hubby is here in Uk with me but flying back today to sort dog and furniture.

Archie will fly sometime this week, I cant wait to see him!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.