Questions on moving back

Old Jun 29th 2020, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Blue York is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions on moving back

Been in the US for 3+ years, me and my USC wife are expecting our first child and we discussing what our long-term plans are, we both decided that we would like to move back to the UK! We have more friends and family in the UK than we do here, my wife has a small family in the US and we live in a different state from them so it is just the both of us and a newborn on the way!

We feel that we have grew job-wise in our careers and have good jobs here though in terms of cost of living we feel that it is expensive after deductions, taxes, healthcare, future daycare costs etc. Where as in the UK we would have the support of friends and family and our child can be closer to our family. I feel like we have friends here but we both feel that in the UK we have true friends and family who would be there to assist and help if needed at the drop of a hat. There are many comforts that I miss about the UK, I miss the cheap food, the banter/humor, Eastenders and watching the footy. Next year was the year we were looking into buying a home here and settling down roots though we have re-evaluated this and decided if we are going to settle down it maybe in a place were we have a good network and would live a comfortable life. My wife really wants to move to the UK, she loves Britain and has always talked about moving back one day though with everything that is going on and now that we are expecting a little one we really do see our future being in the UK.

I can apply for citizenship in about a year's time though I know the processing times can take anywhere from 1-3 years it states on the USCIS website which is a long period to wait, if we were to move back later this year and I was able to obtain a UK job offer would I still be required to file tax returns for the duration that my 10 year green card is still valid? If giving up PR does it effect you in visiting in the future as I would still want to visit my wife's family on vacation every few years.

I am just wondering for those on here who have been in a similar situation what did you decide in the end? Any input or advice is appreciated.

Last edited by Blue York; Jun 29th 2020 at 8:45 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions on moving back

Definitely get US citizenship. If the UK does not work out then you don't want to have to go through the immigration process again. Visiting the US won't be a problem.
Living a comfortable life very much depends on your income whether in UK or US. Personally, having moved to the US some 20 years ago, we have got more bang for our buck here in the US. Certainly we think you get more house for your money here.

Old Jun 29th 2020, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

That is true though it is a long wait to get citizenship after applying, I am not sure if we would ever move back to live if I am being honest after both discussing it, though we would still definitely want to visit family on vacation. I am not exactly sure how it works if I did not go for citizenship and have a green card and we do decide to move back to the UK at what point would I no longer need to file tax returns/ my permanent residency expire?

What I mean by comfortable life is not necessarily wealth driven but feeling relaxed knowing that you have family that are close by and can be relied upon when needed whilst enjoying the comforts that the UK has to offer, short trips to different cities, having the little one to spend time with family and friends. I know that me and my wife will definitely need to take pay cuts and potentially move out of the sector we are in and transition to a different career path potentially though in the long run of being back home and getting to raise our child in the UK we feel that it would be worth it.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue York View Post
That is true though it is a long wait to get citizenship after applying, I am not sure if we would ever move back to live if I am being honest after both discussing it, though we would still definitely want to visit family on vacation. I am not exactly sure how it works if I did not go for citizenship and have a green card and we do decide to move back to the UK at what point would I no longer need to file tax returns/ my permanent residency expire?

What I mean by comfortable life is not necessarily wealth driven but feeling relaxed knowing that you have family that are close by and can be relied upon when needed whilst enjoying the comforts that the UK has to offer, short trips to different cities, having the little one to spend time with family and friends. I know that me and my wife will definitely need to take pay cuts and potentially move out of the sector we are in and transition to a different career path potentially though in the long run of being back home and getting to raise our child in the UK we feel that it would be worth it.
It took us a year when we applied for Citizenship and I expect it is much longer now with an inevitable backlog due to Covid19 so I fully understand your reluctance to wait. On the filing US taxes question I think that it would only be a year or so after formally giving up your card but I really don't know. Since your wife is a USC she is going to have to file a US tax return and do an FBAR filing if she exceeds the $10k allowance in financial accounts each year. If you were also a USC then you would still be only filing one US tax return (MFJ instead of MFS), plus an extra FBAR. (FBAR filings are quick and easy).

Just something to consider - don't let the tax thing get in the way of the other benefits of having dual citizenship.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Very true, we just want to ensure that if I give up my green card it would not impact us negatively if we want to return to visit family in the future or go on vacation. Yes, with everyone that is going on due to covid I can imagine that 1-3 year mark is looking more like a 2-3 year mark now!
Old Jul 1st 2020, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

I would endeavour to have the same citizenships as my children. That way I always have the option to join them regardless of what country they choose and happens to my marriage.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 1:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
I would endeavour to have the same citizenships as my children. That way I always have the option to join them regardless of what country they choose and happens to my marriage.
As I am a British citizen, we will register their birth in the UK and obtain a British passport for them.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 9:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue York View Post
As I am a British citizen, we will register their birth in the UK and obtain a British passport for them.
I think the point that Assanah is making is that your child will be a USC though, so if s/he ever wants to move to the US you could then visit them/stay with them/move with them without any restrictions if you had citizenship too.
Old Yesterday, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by durham_lad View Post
It took us a year when we applied for Citizenship and I expect it is much longer now with an inevitable backlog due to Covid19 so I fully understand your reluctance to wait.
Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
I think the point that Assanah is making is that your child will be a USC though, so if s/he ever wants to move to the US you could then visit them/stay with them/move with them without any restrictions if you had citizenship too.
After discussing together we don't have any desire to reside in the US in the future after relocating back to the UK, it will be a permanent move as we would want our little one to be around a larger family etc. I don't really want to wait another potentially 1-2 years for citizenship, and delay us in relocating back. Ideally when we move back my wife will work towards UK citizenship so we will all have UK citizenship as that is where we will reside permanently in the future.

The only time we would come back would be to visit every few years for a week or two. To confirm this won't be an issue in visiting in the future as long as the correct form to voluntarily give up PR is filed?
Old Yesterday, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t believe there will be any issue in you visiting the USA as a tourist after you have given up your PR. Be aware that if you go back to visit and you have your witn with you she will have to enter on a US passport even after she has a UK passport. This famously happened to Boris Johnson when they were all going on holiday to Mexico, changing planes in Houston. His UK passport showed place of birth as New York and since he didn’t have a US passport the airline refused him the right to board. His wife and children boarded and he had to find a flight to Mexico that didn’t go through the USA.