Reload this Page >

Questions about relocation to England

Wikiposts

Questions about relocation to England

Old Aug 20th 2007, 4:13 am
Just Joined

Mike.the.Bike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about relocation to England

What a wonderful site! I am a new member.

I am a dual UK/US Citizen with current valid UK and US passports. I emigrated to Canada when I was 20, then I emigrated to the US when I was 26 and have lived in New York State since. I visit the UK with great frequency and now my wife, her 18 year-old daughter and my 22 year-old daughter (all US citizens), all wish to relocate to Gloucestershire, near my brother. I will be opening a franchise business upon arrival.

My questions are:

Am I correct that I do not need a visa for myself but that I need to get a visa for my wife from the British Embassy in New York City?

My wife's daughter will be living with us for some time, so what do I need to secure first - a visa and/or a work permit? What difficulty will we have with her application to 'get in'?

Lastly, do we need to get a visa for my daughter from the Embassy, or can she claim British Citizenship or 'Right of Abode', showing proof that she is my daughter (birth certificate showing me as her father)?

Any advise would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 4:21 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about relocation to England

Originally Posted by Mike.the.Bike

I am a dual UK/US Citizen with current valid UK and US passports. I emigrated to Canada when I was 20, then I emigrated to the US when I was 26 and have lived in New York State since. I visit the UK with great frequency and now my wife, her 18 year-old daughter and my 22 year-old daughter (all US citizens), all wish to relocate to Gloucestershire, near my brother. I will be opening a franchise business upon arrival.

My questions are:

Am I correct that I do not need a visa for myself but that I need to get a visa for my wife from the British Embassy in New York City?

My wife's daughter will be living with us for some time, so what do I need to secure first - a visa and/or a work permit? What difficulty will we have with her application to 'get in'?

Lastly, do we need to get a visa for my daughter from the Embassy, or can she claim British Citizenship or 'Right of Abode', showing proof that she is my daughter (birth certificate showing me as her father)?

The British Embassy is in DC...

http://www.britainusa.com/

Your wife will need a spousal visa.

Your daughter needs to to be registered as British citizen and get a British birth certificate and passport.

Not sure about your wife's daughter as she is 18 - check the Embassy website for details of eligibility.

I think you will need to show that you can support them. Again, I expect all the information is on the website.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 6:23 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

My questions are:

Hi from another NY state member!

I can't answer your questions but I just wanted to welcome you to the site.

Do you know what franchise you want to open/take over?
Old Aug 20th 2007, 6:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE.

I think Elvira is spot on with her answers. You could have problems with your wife's daughter being as she is now 18.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 6:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elvira
The British Embassy is in DC...

http://www.britainusa.com/

Your wife will need a spousal visa.

Your daughter needs to to be registered as British citizen and get a British birth certificate and passport.

Not sure about your wife's daughter as she is 18 - check the Embassy website for details of eligibility.

I think you will need to show that you can support them. Again, I expect all the information is on the website.
Hello Elvira, (now I have that tune in my head!)

Thank you for the correction. I once had my passport renewed at the British Consulate office in New York City; you are correct with the Embassy in DC.

My daughter wants to move next year, after she finishes her post-graduate work at university. Does she apply for "registration as a British citizen" by applying for a British passport or by applying for "Right of Abode" and can she do either while on holiday in England? It's nearly half the cost to get a passport while in England than from this side of the pond.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 6:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by blaze
Hi from another NY state member!

I can't answer your questions but I just wanted to welcome you to the site.

Do you know what franchise you want to open/take over?
Not just yet, though I will be happy to communicate that with you after I get eveything signed, sealed and delivered. I do hope you can understand.

Are you an ex-pat?
Old Aug 20th 2007, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello and welcome to BE.

I think Elvira is spot on with her answers. You could have problems with your wife's daughter being as she is now 18.
Hi Jerseygirl,

I appreciate you seconding Elivira.

How should I proceed with my wife's daughter? Will she have to apply individually and are there any tips that might help her?

I do not want to start off in one direction only to have a better direction denied to her because of the path we chose. I have known of people applying to the US for residence making similar mistakes and costing them dearly in terms of time lost.

Thank you.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 7:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jerseygirl,

I appreciate you seconding Elivira.

How should I proceed with my wife's daughter? Will she have to apply individually and are there any tips that might help her?

I do not want to start off in one direction only to have a better direction denied to her because of the path we chose. I have known of people applying to the US for residence making similar mistakes and costing them dearly in terms of time lost.

Thank you.
Like Elvira suggested take a look at the UK Embassy's website. I think the problem with your wife's daughter is that at 18 she will be deemed as an adult and not a dependant...therefore will have no entitlement to a UK visa via yourself.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 7:10 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Not just yet, though I will be happy to communicate that with you after I get eveything signed, sealed and delivered. I do hope you can understand.

Are you an ex-pat?

Yep, I'm an expat. We moved here in 1990 (god, that was scary to type!)

We are franchise owners ourselves. A lot of the same companies that are in the UK are in the US also, I was just curious if you had narrowed it down to what you fancied getting into.

And yes, I do understand.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 7:16 am
Just Joined

Like Elvira suggested take a look at the UK Embassy's website. I think the problem with your wife's daughter is that at 18 she will be deemed as an adult and not a dependant...therefore will have no entitlement to a UK visa via yourself.
Yes, I was afraid that would be the answer. Thanks again.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 7:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Don't know for sure best to check on their website.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 7:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Maybe she could get a place at a UK university as an international student...then you could go from there. I think it is much easier to obtain residency in a country if you have attended uni there. She would have to pay international student fees whether she had a UK visa or not.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by blaze
Yep, I'm an expat. We moved here in 1990 (god, that was scary to type!)

We are franchise owners ourselves. A lot of the same companies that are in the UK are in the US also, I was just curious if you had narrowed it down to what you fancied getting into.

And yes, I do understand.
I will try to remember to follow up with you.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 7:24 am
Blondie22

I will try to remember to follow up with you.

Old Aug 20th 2007, 7:25 am
Just Joined

Maybe she could get a place at a UK university as an international student...then you could go from there. I think it is much easier to obtain residency in a country if you have attended uni there. She would have to pay international student fees whether she had a UK visa or not.
Much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.