Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

A question regarding shipping personal belongings back to the UK.

A question regarding shipping personal belongings back to the UK.

Old Apr 27th 2017, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

mstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud of
Default Re: A question regarding shipping personal belongings back to the UK.

Update:

I just got off the phone with HMRC, approximate hold time 10 mins.
They confirmed receipt of docs. (I emailed completed TOR 3 days ago)

I had them go over my support docs (as i understood the TOR had changed recently) and was told they had everything they needed. (I.e. No goods value listed at this point).
That it was a 10 day to 2 week process going forward.

The super nice lady also asked about my cat, and whether she was travelling with me at this point. I replied that i would be returning to collect her later. Her response was "thats fine, you can use the same TOR number at that point" which is why my mover was adamant that i list her.

I hope this is helpful for people. I feel somewhat relieved each step of the way!
Old Apr 27th 2017, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

mstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by a66es

1) is there any difference between me sending parcels to myself in the UK, and my partner sending me a parcel? as we may put off the shipment for a few weeks, would that change the rules and make it more complicated?

2) "Transfer of Residence" sounds really seriously worded, as if its an official declaration to the UK government "I AM NOW LIVING HERE" instead of the old C3 which was more along the lines of "I am sending stuff, don't tax me", so I am a bit nervous/anxious about that, what if I just went to my local post office and posted a smaller box of personal items back to the UK, like when I send gifts to people? and put "personal items" on one of those customs declaration stickers? Surely it would get through? I wouldnt have to tell Teresa May anything, would I?

3) after I have emailed/faxed HMRC with the ToR form, how long is the wait for the clearance number?
1. i dont know. The key concept here is import TAXATION.
2. this freaked me out too, as i will initially be backwards and forwards until i sort my employment out. My shipper/mover said in order to avoid import tax, i must state transfer of residence. He reassured me this is purely for taxation purposes, not immigration.
Be prepared to list an address in the UK on the TOR form where you will be living, and one of the following reasons for return (including an address) a) employment b) education c)other.
3. Email it.
Call a few days later.
Process should be two weeks or so.

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 28th 2017, 9:41 am
Just Joined

a66es is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kirstyp
@A66es Quick question, are you moving your permanent residence to the UK or just sending items?

both, because I am neither offically resident here or in the UK... and I may have to return back to here in the next few months.

obviously I wont tell the fools at HMRC that cause it could complicate things even further.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mstiggiewinkle
1. i dont know. The key concept here is import TAXATION.
2. this freaked me out too, as i will initially be backwards and forwards until i sort my employment out. My shipper/mover said in order to avoid import tax, i must state transfer of residence. He reassured me this is purely for taxation purposes, not immigration.
Be prepared to list an address in the UK on the TOR form where you will be living, and one of the following reasons for return (including an address) a) employment b) education c)other.
3. Email it.
Call a few days later.
Process should be two weeks or so.

Hope this helps!

what if I dont have a job lined up and I have no plans to study or seek work? im not being crude but the form is very stubborn.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Update:

I just got off the phone with HMRC, approximate hold time 10 mins.
They confirmed receipt of docs. (I emailed completed TOR 3 days ago)

I had them go over my support docs (as i understood the TOR had changed recently) and was told they had everything they needed. (I.e. No goods value listed at this point).
That it was a 10 day to 2 week process going forward.

The super nice lady also asked about my cat, and whether she was travelling with me at this point. I replied that i would be returning to collect her later. Her response was "thats fine, you can use the same TOR number at that point" which is why my mover was adamant that i list her.

I hope this is helpful for people. I feel somewhat relieved each step of the way!

do I have to show HMRC copy of foreign visa in a foreign country to show I was there with foreign tennacy agreement?

or do I just show them my UK passport and tell them Im going to crash at friends house? Is that ok?

so when my parcels arrive and Parcelfarce collect them, Ihave to tell them the ToR number right?
Old Apr 29th 2017, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

what if I dont have a job lined up and I have no plans to study or seek work? im not being crude but the form is very stubborn.

I understand. Similar situation.
I used my family address and cited family reasons. My understanding is that if you use work or study you need back up documents.
Old Apr 29th 2017, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

do I have to show HMRC copy of foreign visa in a foreign country to show I was there with foreign tennacy agreement?

or do I just show them my UK passport and tell them Im going to crash at friends house? Is that ok?

so when my parcels arrive and Parcelfarce collect them, Ihave to tell them the ToR number right?
I suggest you follow the guidelines. The form is non-saveable online. This means you can fill it out, mess it up, change your mind, try different options etc until you get it right. Then, you print it out and sign it, then scan it and email.

I cant advise you what to do or what happens after you fill out the form. That is anyones guess.

Did you fill it out yet?
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 1:23 am
Just Joined

I suggest you follow the guidelines. The form is non-saveable online. This means you can fill it out, mess it up, change your mind, try different options etc until you get it right. Then, you print it out and sign it, then scan it and email.

I cant advise you what to do or what happens after you fill out the form. That is anyones guess.

Did you fill it out yet?
I got my ToR number a few weeks a go, actually the ToR people dont seem to have a clue as to how the process works and didnt seem to give a shit and it appears my items were processed without issue, however my items are still on the boat and when I called up Parcelforce to give them my ToR number the staff at Parcelforce didnt know what a ToR number is, the foreign import and customs people kept quoting their out of date documentation about C22 etc.

so lets hope it arrives soon.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Been a while since i logged in.

My shipper wouldnt touch my goods without a TOR. It is for RECEIVING i.e. customs in the UK. If you choose to not go down that route i imagine you will be charged taxation on your "import" to the British Isles.

HMRC process is tedious but all you need as a UK citizen is an NI number. Put down a family address and cite personal reasons if a) you have no address or b) no proof of job/study.
If you have a pet coming later, include it now. That way all stays on one import number.

If all you are taking is a few boxes via regular mail i cannot advise you. I am sharing my experience from shipping an apartment's worth home.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Just to be clear - the TOR people process your application, but they are not receiving.
The TOR number needs to go to the shipper prior to sailing.
Customs receiving, not Parcelforce, need the number for when your goods arrive.
Without a TOR, your shipment is just an import, and therefore subject to taxation.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Just to be clear - the TOR people process your application, but they are not receiving.
The TOR number needs to go to the shipper prior to sailing.
Customs receiving, not Parcelforce, need the number for when your goods arrive.
Without a TOR, your shipment is just an import, and therefore subject to taxation.
i aint saying you are bullshitting, but I assume you didnt use parcelforce and instead you used a large scale mover, i shipped about 250kg of personal items, and it seems the customs people and parcelforce staff neither of which seems to know how to follow the new rules, calling parcelforce at the moment is a wasteof time as my parcels havent arrived in the UK the idiots on the phone dont know what to do.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

i aint saying you are bullshitting, but I assume you didnt use parcelforce and instead you used a large scale mover, i shipped about 250kg of personal items, and it seems the customs people and parcelforce staff neither of which seems to know how to follow the new rules, calling parcelforce at the moment is a wasteof time as my parcels havent arrived in the UK the idiots on the phone dont know what to do.
Bullshitting!?
How rude.
I already stated i used a professional shipper.
I have no doubt that customs are as confused about the new system as anyone!
I was merely pointing out that the TOR should be obtained PRE-shipping.

All the best.