Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

A question for ping pong poms

A question for ping pong poms

Old Jul 18th 2007, 2:18 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default A question for ping pong poms

I've noticed that quite a few posters advise ping-pongers to wait xxx number of years for citizenship, so they can "pong" if the ping doesn't work

My question to these posters is - if you had to give up UK citizenship to get OZ/US/other citizenship, would you give the same advice to wait a couple of years, or would you say "forget it, get out now"?

Last edited by Vegemite Kids; Jul 18th 2007 at 2:21 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 18th 2007, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question for ping pong poms

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
I've noticed that quite a few posters advise ping-pongers to wait xxx number of years for citizenship, so they can "pong" if the ping doesn't work

My question to these posters is - if you had to give up UK citizenship to get OZ/US/other citizenship, would you give the same advice to wait a couple of years, or would you say "forget it, get out now"?
If you couldn't hold 2 passports then I wouldn't advise waiting to get the Oz/US one if it meant giving up the UK one. (assuming you couldnt keep swapping from one to the other)
There was a poll on here at some point for people in Oz, asking would you get Oz citizenship if it meant loosing UK citizenship. I think thats one step too far for many.
Having said that, my main regret re leaving Oz was not being able to hold out til I got C Ship because its good to know you have options for the future/retirement etc.
But if people are wanting to come home, then why would they revoke their home countrys passport? I think it would be madness unless 100% sure the other country was for you for ever.
No, only stay in a country longer than you want to if you achieve something at the end of it. If no C Ship why stay when unhappy?
Old Jul 18th 2007, 5:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

There is no way I would give up my British citizenship...I just wouldn't...it's who I am.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There is no way I would give up my British citizenship.
omg, me neither
Old Jul 18th 2007, 6:08 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
omg, me neither
Same here. I wouldn't want to have to get a visa to visit my own family. (If the VWP didn't apply to the countries in question, that is)
Old Jul 18th 2007, 7:22 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

There is no way I would give up my British citizenship...I just wouldn't...it's who I am.
I wouldn't give mine up either.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

No way would I give up mu UK citizenship.
I've got my Oz passport & would give it up if I had to to keep my UK one.
I did stay & get citizenship but it was only the last few months that I viewed as waiting for it, b4 that I was dandy living here.
Now, with the new 4 yr rule - thats a hell of a long time to wait if you're not wanting to really be here.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:14 am
Just Joined

yellowbrickroad is on a distinguished road

I would agree, the four year wait is such a long time, Im so glad I am not in that position and can apply for citizenship this year before leaving Auz. I would never give up my British Citizenship, - to me it means loosing my comfort blanket (if that makes sense!!!!). But then I havent pinged yet lol - but about to later this year!!!
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowbrickroad
I would agree, the four year wait is such a long time, Im so glad I am not in that position and can apply for citizenship this year before leaving Auz. I would never give up my British Citizenship, - to me it means loosing my comfort blanket (if that makes sense!!!!). But then I havent pinged yet lol - but about to later this year!!!
You are lucky...as a Green Card holder in the US we have to wait 5 years before applying for citizenship...the application can take from a few months to years. After entering the US on a visa...the Green Card application can take years.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:19 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

What a bloomin good question!! No way would i give up my uk citizenship and i bet a lot of people that are unhappy and are just waiting to get THE CITIZENSHIP would be a whole lot happier as i bet they would go back to their homeland a lot sooner with alot less heartache!!!!

Kris xx

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids

Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kris maynard
What a bloomin good question!! No way would i give up my uk citizenship and i bet a lot of people that are unhappy and are just waiting to get THE CITIZENSHIP would be a whole lot happier as i bet they would go back to their homeland a lot sooner with alot less heartache!!!!

Kris xx
Too true Kris
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Same here. I'm British, and the longer I live here the more British I feel.

Obviously everyone has their own reasons for deicding to take citizenship, but on a purely personal level now I really don't want to be Australian anyway; I think I'd feel like a fraud if I applied for it....which is still over a year away for me anyhow. I might consider it if The Bloke and I ever moved back to the UK, purely so that I could come back here with him at a later date, but while I'm actually resident here I don't think I'll bother. RRVs will do me when the PR visa is exhausted.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

We are getting it cos my eldest already has hers!!! (came through unexpected last week) so we want to be able to come back in the future as she is staying here Im hoping once we return to UK she either finds a lovely guy and gets married (ha ha) or comes back and does the Europe backpacking trip with her cousins THEN decided where she really wants to be

You never know what the future holds do you? but then again I wouldnt want to just give up my British Citizenship, if my daughter just kept her Oz one - God what an awful dilemma we would be in!!
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
We are getting it cos my eldest already has hers!!! (came through unexpected last week) so we want to be able to come back in the future as she is staying here Im hoping once we return to UK she either finds a lovely guy and gets married (ha ha) or comes back and does the Europe backpacking trip with her cousins THEN decided where she really wants to be

You never know what the future holds do you? but then again I wouldnt want to just give up my British Citizenship, if my daughter just kept her Oz one - God what an awful dilemma we would be in!!
Very good reason to get your c'ship!!!
good luck
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Even though I took Oz citizenship, I wouldn't have given up my UK one. I was content enough there and thought of it as home for a while. But always felt whilst my parents, family were in the UK, that was also home. I don't know if I would have felt different if my family weren't alive. Anyway even if I had to give up my passport, if I went back I would say I'd lost it and reapplied. How can anyone really force you to give up your birth countries citizenship, I wouldn't have thought they could unless the birth country took it away from you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.