Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Question on Inheritance Tax

Question on Inheritance Tax

Old Feb 25th 2020, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question on Inheritance Tax

This month's Which? had an article on Inheritance Tax (IHT) and it said that money in Defined Contribution accounts did not count towards the nil-band rate for IHT. Their advice is to draw down income from other savings first, leaving the DC money alone, if you can afford it. When you die the money in that DC pension pot will pass to your heirs without any consideration of all or part of it being subject to the 40% IHT.

My question is does this apply to a DC plan from a another company? My wife and I both contributed for many years to our company's DC plan while working in the USA. (for us it was a 401k plan).
Old Feb 26th 2020, 6:38 pm
Aoi
Forum Regular

Aoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on Inheritance Tax

UK pension scheme Nomination Forms are written as an Expression of Wishes for consideration by the Trustees or similar.

According to the link below about Tax on a private pension you inherit:
"You do not usually pay Inheritance Tax on a lump sum because payment is usually ‘discretionary’ - this means the pension provider can choose whether to pay it to you.
Ask the pension provider if payment of the lump sum was discretionary. If it was not, you may have to pay Inheritance Tax."
https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-pension-death-benefits
A 401k plan Beneficiary Designation for Death Benefits Form looks like an instruction with wording such as "I designate as my primary beneficiary ...". In this case I guess that a 401K is inside an estate for UK IHT.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on Inheritance Tax

Originally Posted by Aoi
UK pension scheme Nomination Forms are written as an Expression of Wishes for consideration by the Trustees or similar.

According to the link below about Tax on a private pension you inherit:
"You do not usually pay Inheritance Tax on a lump sum because payment is usually ‘discretionary’ - this means the pension provider can choose whether to pay it to you.
Ask the pension provider if payment of the lump sum was discretionary. If it was not, you may have to pay Inheritance Tax."
https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-pension-death-benefits
A 401k plan Beneficiary Designation for Death Benefits Form looks like an instruction with wording such as "I designate as my primary beneficiary ...". In this case I guess that a 401K is inside an estate for UK IHT.
Thanks for doing this research, very much appreciated. I think the safest way is to gift enough money and live for 7 years afterwards to get below the IHT threshold.

Lots of rumors on IHT being overhauled in the next budget so the question may become irrelevant anyway.