Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Question about UK passport renewal

Question about UK passport renewal

Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

giblesp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about UK passport renewal

I wonder if anyone can help me with a question about my UK passport renewal in the US.
Note 8 states that someone who is US resident and of a certain profession may countersign. However, someone in the family cannot. The only person I know who has known me for 2 years and is one of the professions listed is my brother in law who is a doctor. Can he countersign for me or is an in law regarded as a member of family?
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about UK passport renewal

Use your brother-in-law, in fact when I applied earlier this year for a new passport I got one of the guys in the office to sign my application and they sent the photo he signed back. I think if you are applying for a renewal or replacement rather than a first time passport and so long as the supplied photo isnt to different from the one in your old passport they do not use the signed photo in their records.
British passports are expensive but at least they turn them around in Washington pretty quickly (unlike the US goverment) mine was less than 2 weeks.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:43 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about UK passport renewal

Originally Posted by giblesp
I wonder if anyone can help me with a question about my UK passport renewal in the US.
Note 8 states that someone who is US resident and of a certain profession may countersign. However, someone in the family cannot. The only person I know who has known me for 2 years and is one of the professions listed is my brother in law who is a doctor. Can he countersign for me or is an in law regarded as a member of family?
Personally, i applied a certain amount of latitude to the list of professions they supplied...