Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Question about School/Uni in UK if returning

Question about School/Uni in UK if returning

Old Jun 25th 2007, 5:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about School/Uni in UK if returning

Originally Posted by dingbat
Remember each Uni determines their own criteria for home student status. In my experience they want clear documentary evidence that the student was never living permanently abroad, has retained ties to the UK, has a beneficial interest in property in the UK or had no choice but to be abroad.
If interested in distance learning, the Open University and University of London (External) seem only interested in current residence, not the last 3 years.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
Yes, unless you have been back three years before she starts, you can prove that she was outside the UK only temporarily and that her "permanent" and "habitual" residence is in the UK with her Dad. It is an average of £10k per year. Remember each Uni determines their own criteria for home student status. In my experience they want clear documentary evidence that the student was never living permanently abroad, has retained ties to the UK, has a beneficial interest in property in the UK or had no choice but to be abroad.
Ok thanks for that I will keep it in mind...
Old Jun 26th 2007, 2:52 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If interested in distance learning, the Open University and University of London (External) seem only interested in current residence, not the last 3 years.
Thanks for that - we found a [legitimate] way around the three year residency requirement in the end.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Question about School/Uni in UK if returning

Thanks for the advice everyone I'm holding on to the small shred of hope that the ex might let me take the kids back to uk in three years time (they'll be 14 and 11 then), once they are bit older and able to make their own decisions a bit better, and I've finished my degree. So thanks, it's best to be armed with all the info.

I think I would go insane if I resign myself to having to stay until they are both 16 (denial is a better option!). it sucks :-(