Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Question about School/Uni in UK if returning

Question about School/Uni in UK if returning

Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question about School/Uni in UK if returning

I seem to recall reading something in these forums about if you return to the UK after being away for a period of time, you have the status of an international student and thus have to pay the associated high fees for school/uni. I've been in Aus for seven years and likely won't be able to get back to UK for another few years. Will this affect my kids eligibility for a normal status (they were both born there)?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about School/Uni in UK if returning

Ohh one more thing in addition to the above. I am about to undertake a degree here in Qld (Journalism - though this may change!). In the event you return to Blighty, does an Aus degree have the same amount of credibility as a UK one? Some posters seem to have difficulties with quals and their clout in different countries.

Thanks heaps!!
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:41 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
I seem to recall reading something in these forums about if you return to the UK after being away for a period of time, you have the status of an international student and thus have to pay the associated high fees for school/uni. I've been in Aus for seven years and likely won't be able to get back to UK for another few years. Will this affect my kids eligibility for a normal status (they were both born there)?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
To be eligible for resident fees, you need to have been resident in the UK (or another EU country) for 3 years.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Elvira
To be eligible for resident fees, you need to have been resident in the UK (or another EU country) for 3 years.
so I would have to pay for my kids to go to school there, even though they were born there? unreal!
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 6:45 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

so I would have to pay for my kids to go to school there, even though they were born there? unreal!
Not school. Only university. Which is largely funded out of taxes.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Elvira
Not school. Only university. Which is largely funded out of taxes.
oh ok, thanks elvira. i will make sure i get my degree finished before i try and get back too then! :-)
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:38 am
Just Joined

grae is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the same situation, been in the US for 4 years, my son is looking to go back to uni in two years.

I have been in touch with a number of the admission offices at the university and the decision rests on a number of things, these typically are (but not limited to):

- length of time away
- Visa status (temporary or permanent - for US, L1 = temporary, Green card = Perm)
- Home Ownership (do you still have your own residence in the UK to return to)

and last but not least, just to make it really interesting, each university has its own rules of determining international/domestic status, so it pays to contact any uni's you're looking at individually well ahead of time to try and ascertain their requirements.

G
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Norm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to all

We have been having issues with our 16 year old. There may be a loop hole. Because we are in the US under visa's, hubbys job is not classed as permanent. We will still have a few fences to jump once we get back but at least we are seeing light for the trees. Our younger 3 have got places at schools but Jon needs to complete his GCSE's. We were told this is going to cost us 6000 gbp's per year.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 2:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

In Britain, British citizenship in itself is not enough for home student fees. It's similar to the United States, where if American kids normally have to be living in a particular state to get "in-state" tuition fees.

If they can't move back to the UK by age 14/15, then it probably makes more sense for them to go to university in Australia.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 4:09 pm
Banned

JohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud of

i know people who have lied and got away with it.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

We've been in Oz just under 3 years, so if my daughter goes to Uni in UK will we have to pay as overseas student? Her bio Dad lives in UK so shes sorta gotta UK residence there, will this help at all?
Old Jun 24th 2007, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Norm71
We have been having issues with our 16 year old. There may be a loop hole. Because we are in the US under visa's, hubbys job is not classed as permanent. We will still have a few fences to jump once we get back but at least we are seeing light for the trees. Our younger 3 have got places at schools but Jon needs to complete his GCSE's. We were told this is going to cost us 6000 gbp's per year.
Hi all

Many thanks for your responses. This is the sort of thing I would never have even thought about and just assumed would be ok so thanks for the advice (even if it's not what i want to hear lol!)

Norm, I don't understand how they are making you pay for your son's schooling (I may have got the wrong end of the stick but the replies to my Q seem to say you have pay for uni and not school). How come you have to pay for Jon and not the other 3? If you were classed as permanently moving away from UK (which is the case with me) does that mean you would have to pay for school?
Old Jun 24th 2007, 8:11 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnStang
i know people who have lied and got away with it.
How? I wondered this myself.

You need to put school details on the uni application forms (they take up references) AND details of GCSE & A levels (for which unis ask to see the results certificates), so if you don't have these, how do you 'lie' and get away with it?
Old Jun 25th 2007, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Norm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to all

Hi all

Many thanks for your responses. This is the sort of thing I would never have even thought about and just assumed would be ok so thanks for the advice (even if it's not what i want to hear lol!)

Norm, I don't understand how they are making you pay for your son's schooling (I may have got the wrong end of the stick but the replies to my Q seem to say you have pay for uni and not school). How come you have to pay for Jon and not the other 3? If you were classed as permanently moving away from UK (which is the case with me) does that mean you would have to pay for school?
That seems to be about it. It has something to do with not being of compulsory school age. I am not sure what would happen in your case. We may have found a loop hole for us, but I won't know until we get back. I am going to be fighting it though and take it as far as I can.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 4:13 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
We've been in Oz just under 3 years, so if my daughter goes to Uni in UK will we have to pay as overseas student? Her bio Dad lives in UK so shes sorta gotta UK residence there, will this help at all?
Yes, unless you have been back three years before she starts, you can prove that she was outside the UK only temporarily and that her "permanent" and "habitual" residence is in the UK with her Dad. It is an average of £10k per year. Remember each Uni determines their own criteria for home student status. In my experience they want clear documentary evidence that the student was never living permanently abroad, has retained ties to the UK, has a beneficial interest in property in the UK or had no choice but to be abroad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.