Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Question about registering with a doctor in England

Wikiposts

Question about registering with a doctor in England

Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice
Default Question about registering with a doctor in England

Can anyone advise me if I have to be in a catchment area to register at a Doctor's surgery in England?

I've been googling a few near where we'll be living and prefer the look & facilities of some more than others, but when I rang one of them I was told I couldn't register with them as I was out of their boundary limits.

I've obviously become so used to the US healthcare system and the ability to pick and choose where I go, that I'm now surprised that I cannot seem to register with whichever dr's I choose in UK?
Why should it matter if I'm prepared to drive more than a mile or two to get there?
Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:29 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about registering with a doctor in England

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
Can anyone advise me if I have to be in a catchment area to register at a Doctor's surgery in England?

I've been googling a few near where we'll be living and prefer the look & facilities of some more than others, but when I rang one of them I was told I couldn't register with them as I was out of their boundary limits.

I've obviously become so used to the US healthcare system and the ability to pick and choose where I go, that I'm now surprised that I cannot seem to register with whichever dr's I choose in UK?
Why should it matter if I'm prepared to drive more than a mile or two to get there?
Yes, I'm afraid that's how things work here. If you want to pick and choose, you could go private, like the US.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure it's still the same now, but historically one of the reasons for 'catchment' areas was for home visits.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

It actually sounds fair to me. There'd be lots of people who don't have a car and/or can't travel far to a doctor, including people with a disability, parents with young kids, older people etc. It makes sense to reserve local doctors for local people.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Not sure it's still the same now, but historically one of the reasons for 'catchment' areas was for home visits.
Yes for GPs there has never been a choice but since Group practices exist, you will likely find at least one you get on with. Usually if you move house but not too far away, you can stay put though.

At least for NHS dentists you have total free choice lol....but then I would go private for dentistry for many reasons.

There is extremely limited availability of private GP services in UK Dunroving surely? Unless you are suggesting she persuades an individual GP to take her on as an 'out of catchment' private patient? Seems pointless since you have to use NHS GP to get access to BUPA private services anyway.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:21 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Yes for GPs there has never been a choice but since Group practices exist, you will likely find at least one you get on with. Usually if you move house but not too far away, you can stay put though.

At least for NHS dentists you have total free choice lol....but then I would go private for dentistry for many reasons.

There is extremely limited availability of private GP services in UK Dunroving surely? Unless you are suggesting she persuades an individual GP to take her on as an 'out of catchment' private patient? Seems pointless since you have to use NHS GP to get access to BUPA private services anyway.
I'm not sure of the details as I don't have private health care in the UK - I was just saying that you have more choice with private health care. Even in the US, you have restricted choice with private health care plans - most of them these days either require you to choose from a list of PSP's (Preferred Service Provider), or if you want more flexibility, the costs are higher.

Although with NHS you have limited choice of which practice you sign up with, in most cities the practices are large enough that you can within reason ask for an appointment with a specific doctor. I only ever see one of the two doctors at our practice, just by being flexible in when I ask for an appointment.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:27 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

You only really have a choice of practice if you are in a large urban area where there may well be more than one practice covering that area, live in a small plaace or village, and you will have very little choice where we live there are 3 group practices, but two of them use the same health centre, and share facilities and nursing personnel
Old Feb 26th 2013, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

That's a shame as the one I really liked the look of is only 2 miles from my UK house, but still at least I won't have to pay to see a dr. when I'm there ( yes I know indirectly I'll pay through NI & taxes, but at least I won't have to sign a cheque upon leaving the dr's office)
Old Feb 26th 2013, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

tomkent45 has a spectacular aura abouttomkent45 has a spectacular aura abouttomkent45 has a spectacular aura about

You can choose the doctor depending on the ones available in your area. You can check the web site of NHS system to read reviews of customers.

The site is nhs.uk, check the box "Health services near to you"
Old Feb 27th 2013, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

That's a shame as the one I really liked the look of is only 2 miles from my UK house, but still at least I won't have to pay to see a dr. when I'm there ( yes I know indirectly I'll pay through NI & taxes, but at least I won't have to sign a cheque upon leaving the dr's office)
Ha! I remember having to sign a cheque to enter the doctors office!! And again when getting a script if any.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 10:16 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
Ha! I remember having to sign a cheque to enter the doctors office!! And again when getting a script if any.
I was amazed at how inexpensive quality heath care is in the UK. I went to a walk in clinic at Ormskirk hospital, I took my Oz passport and other documents as I was expecting to have to prove I was eligible for treatment under the reciprocal health agreement (and was quite prepared to pay full whack if necessary). I didn't have to do anything except give my name and the address I was currently staying at (friend's place in Liverpool). I saw a really nice and skilled doctor for a half an hour appointment, and when I filled my two prescriptions it cost about 6 quid!

In Australia I would have been up for about $160, with a $35 rebate from Medicare.