QM2 booked....again!

Old Oct 24th 2014, 3:05 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QM2 booked....again!

Originally Posted by fulwood
This is my preferred route for my return trip back to UK. But I used to get seasick on Lake Windermere boat outings! .
We have yet to travel the QM2.

On the point of motion sea sickness fulwood, other than the gravol or some other meds or wristbands - looking at the deck plan you'd think a cabin in mid-ship would have the least movement.

Notice on the deck plan how the posh expensive suites are all forward deck

http://www.cunard.com/Documents/2014...y2014-2015.pdf

maybe those that have made the journey they can comment on the ship sections they experienced had the least movement as well as what they consider the 'best deck' choice?
Old Oct 24th 2014, 3:12 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: QM2 booked....again!

Btw - some great tips here on booking and prices for the QM2 (it's an old thread but still relevant). The lady who posted her experience was living in Florida, and they rented a van and drove to New York with their children and dogs:

See especially posts #5 and #7

http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...%24%24-344267/

For families, there are quad rooms - not listed on the Cunard website, you need to phone them directly for various cabin options (See Post # 24)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...booked-310324/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...-310324/page2/
Old Oct 24th 2014, 3:21 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: QM2 booked....again!

Originally Posted by not2old
We have yet to travel the QM2.

maybe those that have made the journey they can comment on the ship sections they experienced had the least movement as well as what they consider the 'best deck' choice?
When I was on the ship there was only one day of poor weather (although there was quite a bit of sea-fog).

This ship was commissioned as an ocean-going liner, rather than the cruise ships which typically ply the Caribbean and the Med. There is a big display on one of the decks which shows how the ship was constructed and the special stabilizers it has (and I'm pretty sure you could find a video about it on Youtube.com).

I actually found it fascinating when I went down to the lowest deck available to passengers on the way to one of the theatres.....you walk along an outside corridor (lots of passengers like this quiet area to play cards/jigsaws/board games) and as it was quite choppy we could see the waves. At no time did I feel queasy and I never saw anyone being sea-sick.

Perhaps you could call Cunard and discuss with them about the best place to be located (I guess a higher floor near the middle of the ship? I know on planes they say to sit near the wings if you tend to get airsick) or to look on one of the cruise critic (or similar) boards.

I'll see if I can find a Youtube video.....
Old Oct 24th 2014, 3:28 pm

Smile Re: QM2 booked....again!

If you have a little time to spare, make yourself a cuppa and relax and read this wonderful informative thread; a family who moved from Florida back to the UK (Cheshire) with their dogs on the QM2. The lady had lived in the US since childhood but had always longed to move back to the land of her birth....England.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...m-home-341555/
Old Oct 24th 2014, 3:49 pm

Thumbs up Re: QM2 booked....again!

Here's a video of a Winter Crossing (2013) from Southampton to New York (but it doesn't show the Canyon Ranch spa or the gym):

Last edited by Englishmum; Oct 24th 2014 at 3:51 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 4:05 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Englishmum @ post# 48, 49 & 50 .... thanks & informative

I will read those threads as well as watch the video

to add ...

I'm back after watching the video & I'm sold. No worries about choppy seas...

What a life to imagine, with enough money, two people (getting the best bang for their buck with discounts etc) living on board for six months a year. Back & forth Southampton to NYC as well as take in a few Med cruises.

I wonder if there are great discounts or upgrades for multi journey travelers?

Last edited by not2old; Oct 24th 2014 at 4:27 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 8:48 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
If you have a little time to spare, make yourself a cuppa and relax and read this wonderful informative thread; a family who moved from Florida back to the UK (Cheshire) with their dogs on the QM2. The lady had lived in the US since childhood but had always longed to move back to the land of her birth....England.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...m-home-341555/
That brought back memories - so many names on that thread I haven't seen in a long time.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

As others have mentioned because Cunard build true ocean liners they are amazingly stable. Not once did I feel like I was on a boat....until I went outside....and saw water...!
Old Oct 27th 2014, 12:53 pm
Dichotomus tinker

does anyone know if club members get automatic stateroom upgrades, or a discount, over & above the small perks?

Cunard World Club | Membership Benefits | Cunard Cruise Line
Old Oct 31st 2014, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

moggi1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

If it hasn't been suggested already, cruisecritic.com (I think I got that right) has wonderful information on almost all ships and Cunard has its own section where the QM2, amongst others, is discussed. Not everyone has had a positive experience but you can't please all the people all the time; right!

We are booked on QM2 with two dogs on July 14th 2015 (Vive la France) for our return to the UK. Inside cabin for two adults and one 13 year old.

Total cost including kennels is: $5800

Flying was going to be more and a lot more stressful and the 8 days we are at sea we get fed
Old Nov 1st 2014, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

I believe we got a stateroom upgrade as we had sailed before and a small discount but so far that's it. Our sailing is a year away though so hopefully a few more perks will come!

moggie1964 July will be a lovely time to sail!! And I see you're in NJ so not a huge distance to travel to get to the QM2! We're driving from LA......a journey I have made too many times in the last 12 years and it never gets easier. Although the southern route is a little more interesting than going through the middle of the country. I can't handle driving through Nebraska again.......I JUST CAN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 12:58 am
Just Joined

daisy09 is just really nicedaisy09 is just really nicedaisy09 is just really nicedaisy09 is just really nicedaisy09 is just really nicedaisy09 is just really nicedaisy09 is just really nicedaisy09 is just really nice

Just logged on for the frst time in ages, as I am newly returned to the US from the UK and regretting it .... but not wanting to ping pong my poor dog on a flight again .... thrilled to read your experiences, thanks for sharing!!!
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 9:00 am

Question Re: QM2 booked....again!

Mmmmm - I keep hearing of expats leaving New Jersey I've just had a message from a friend whom sold her house in Maplewood a few weeks ago and has just relocated to Zurich with her spouse and children. Why is everyone leaving?

I'm going to NJ for a month in December to see our son whom (unfortunately) seems to be settled for good there (my spouse will join us at Christmas). I don't miss the U.S. at all - with the exception of my big tumble dryer lol!

(The best way to get to the Cunard terminal at Brooklyn from NJ is to go via Staten Island and across the the Verrazano bridge....and it's fun to stand on deck as the QM2 sails underneath it as it heads out to sea, the funnel just clearing it by inches )
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Daisy09, how long were you in UK before you came back to US?
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 1:27 am
Just Joined

daisy09 is just really nicedaisy09 is just really nicedaisy09 is just really nicedaisy09 is just really nicedaisy09 is just really nicedaisy09 is just really nicedaisy09 is just really nicedaisy09 is just really nice

I was there for three years (back to my home town), left NJ, came back to PA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.