Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Q for those that moved back to the Uk from the USA??

Q for those that moved back to the Uk from the USA??

Old Jun 15th 2007, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Q for those that moved back to the Uk from the USA??

A few questions for those of you brave enough to make the move back! Any answers appreciated (you dont have to answer them all)

What made you leave?
What do you miss about the states?
Do you think you made the right choice going back?
How do you feel now you are back?
Do you still have "itchy feet" to move again?

Last edited by gypsygirl; Jun 15th 2007 at 8:41 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 9:38 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Q for those that moved back to the Uk from the USA??

Originally Posted by gypsygirl
What made you leave?
My Hubs wanted to live in the UK and for our son to know his family here.

Aside from the friends I made, who I still keep in touch with, consumables, nothing important.

Absolutely.

Happy.

Only to a bigger house, not necessarily anywhere else.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

CarolA is an unknown quantity at this point

As someone who is definately contemplating the move home I have been reading all these threads with interest. I am in the US but most of you have returned from OZ so I was glad to see this thread. We have been here 4 years and I find it very difficult to put into words how I feel about the place. Great for hols maybe. Education levels are not too high and I am worried our nearly 15yr old may not cope back in the UK, she never went to secondary school as she was just 11 when we moved here. Also I have a fantastic job offer (at my last place of work, it does pay to keep in touch). We have 3 grown up children in the UK. The visa situation here is diabolical although we were fortunate to have our E2 renewed recently and got 5 more years..But if we sell the business which we both loathe we lose our visa immediately. If we start another business we have to apply for a new visa based on that business. So do we stay or do we go.??? My heart says return to the UK but I am eworried about our daughter and settling back into school at a time when she should be taking GCSE's next year????
Old Jun 16th 2007, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all

A few questions for those of you brave enough to make the move back! Any answers appreciated (you dont have to answer them all)

What made you leave?
Hi GyspyGirl, I am in Michigan, and we're also making the plans to come home. I've been here for *fifteen years* so for me, it's a massive committment (huz is american, as are my two boys, 4 & 7 months)

We have made a good life here, and that's what makes it hard to leave, but we realize we're in a holding pattern careerwise, and it's time to move on. If we're going to move, we decided, then let's make it to England. As a mother, I miss my family, I want my boys to have grandparents in easy distance. Also, they are at an age where it will be a relatively easy transition. Now or never, type of thing.

What will I miss about the states? Friendly people, an easy lifestyle (ours seems much easier than yours!) my wonderful neighbourhood. It's been 15 years, so basically I will miss my whole life.

Can't answer your other questions, as we are not there yet. But I have an interview via video-conference with a UK University, and suddenly it makes everything seem very real. It feels right.

My mum said something very wise when I first said we were thinking of doing this--make sure you are running *to* something, and not just running *from* something.

I am sure you can make this work, and I am also sure you could make it work if you stay put.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

What made you leave?
My husband was miserable and hated the States.
Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing and the clothes.
Yes.
Less stressed.
No.........but hubby wants to eventually move to someplace warm and sunny.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

What made you leave?
Divorce and wanting my 2 young children to experience living in England.

Much lower house prices. Target. Ease of driving from place to place. Being able to find exactly what you need and not needing to go from shop to shop. Being able to go out for dinner and not feel you need to take out a mortgage to do so.

In the short term - yes. I have been able to catch up with family and friends; however after a few weeks of being here interest droped off and you seem to only see one another holidays or special occasions as everyone becomes used to having you back.

Long term, I'm not so sure. I had been in the States for 8 years 96-04. A great deal has changed in the UK. I ask myself everyday as a single parent can I afford to stay. Also, will my children be able to afford to buy a home in the UK one day. Being able to have my own home is very important. I have been paying rent now for almost 3 years and after owning my own home in the States it just doesn't sit well with me.

Yes, I do have itchy feet. I'm lucky in that I was able to get US citizenship before I left. I have the option to move back and as my children are UK/US, I'd like to explore opportunities in the States especially in the industry that I work in.

I have read your other post on the US forum with great interest. I also felt as though I was desperate to go "home". I wanted to be around everyone I missed in the UK but the truth is while I was gone, everyone had moved on with their own lives. Ask yourself what are your long term goals. Would you be better off in the UK or US.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Norm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CarolA
As someone who is definately contemplating the move home I have been reading all these threads with interest. I am in the US but most of you have returned from OZ so I was glad to see this thread. We have been here 4 years and I find it very difficult to put into words how I feel about the place. Great for hols maybe. Education levels are not too high and I am worried our nearly 15yr old may not cope back in the UK, she never went to secondary school as she was just 11 when we moved here. Also I have a fantastic job offer (at my last place of work, it does pay to keep in touch). We have 3 grown up children in the UK. The visa situation here is diabolical although we were fortunate to have our E2 renewed recently and got 5 more years..But if we sell the business which we both loathe we lose our visa immediately. If we start another business we have to apply for a new visa based on that business. So do we stay or do we go.??? My heart says return to the UK but I am eworried about our daughter and settling back into school at a time when she should be taking GCSE's next year????
We are coming back with a 16 year old. We are having issues with him because he is no longer compulsory school age. You shouldn't have any issues with your daughter. She may have problems with her GCSE's but she will be able to re-sit them through further education. According to the local school near my parents. They review their last report cards to try to asses where the kids are with their education and what issues they may need to address. In some cases the kids are given a class room assistant or there may be another programme they can offer the child. But I would strongly advise if your going to make thei move do it this school year. 2007-2008. You will encounter issues if she doesn't complete her eduction in the US and trying to get her to complete her GCSE's in England.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

Serenity is an unknown quantity at this point

What made you leave?
We left because I missed my family and friends. Originally hubs was supposed to move to the UK, but I was a student and he had a good job and an apartment and on a visit I thought I could live there so I moved. 18 months in after bad homesickness I decided I wanted to move back and persuaded hubs. I didn't end up leaving until the 4 year mark, by which time I'd become acclimitised and was even won[/I]dering whether I should or not.

We've now been here 4 years and last year started the visa process to move back, but then abandoned that. I was completely unprepared for how I would feel moving back. I didn't have any issues with the UK, I left to get married, but my eyes were opened to how things could be elsewhere. Also, I'd been pretty much a kid when I left and knew nothing so all I'd learnt about taxes and insurance and renting somewhere was based on what I knew in the US. I initially felt like it'd been a huge mistake. I lived in Omaha which wasn't crowded and was pretty low on crime comparatively and I'd got used to the good neighbourhoods being far from the bad ones. So moving back to somewhere rubbing shoulders with youths doing vandalism, crowding, more petty crime, was a shock. And if you believe the media this is all the UK is, but it's not. However, one does notice it so much more.

We never really settled, hubs couldn't get a job in his field and ended up on half the pay, I couldn't afford to start uni for another three years and then, 9 months in, with or first newly rented house and a futon, a computer, a table and a washing machine I got pregnant. We really wanted to run back then, but moving back pregnant, hah! Knew there would be no medical insurance for that.

Despite the fact we had a list of pros and cons where the UK came out top we still decided to move back because some factors seemed so much more important, like police who did something (cos we'd had personal experience of them not), being able to own a house, earn more money, and I thought it would be better for our son. But really, things got on track here and we knew we would have to learn to be happy in one place otherwise we'd flit back and forth with no real home. Besides, there is so much to love about the UK and I'm now back to my previous level of enjoyment with the place and I pretty much ignore the doomsaying media because I know no place is perfect and there will be issues, just different ones to get used to. I love the freedom to walk around, to take public transport, to see people in the street, to not have everyone obsessed with buying things, the wonderful NHS, the ease of travelling to a seaside or a castle or somewhere to hike, the outward looking world view, the humour, being understood!

Well this is turning into an essay! What I miss about the US, being somewhere different, some foods, no-one cares about fashion (where I lived!) or shoes! The ability to have our own house, although I believe it's over rated! Greater variety of social things to do, like groups, or volunteers or religion (I'm Buddhist), the easy way you can chat to complete strangers, vast vast areas of natural beauty. And finally, the feeling of being at home and it being my life, the same as what I missed when I was there thinking about the UK.

Sometimes we have itchy feet, but I am ignoring it, because focusing on what you might have somewhere else, or what might be better somewhere else means you can miss out on what is here and now, miss out on enjoying the life you have here and now wherever that is.

If you haven't got citizenship make sure you get it!

Otherwise, home is where you make it and however unhappy you are home is where you are and if you decide to move you will miss home and hate this "new" place until you can build up a new home again, not just physical things, but a settled life.

Sorry for the length of this! I got carried away!
Old Jun 18th 2007, 6:50 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Serenity
..........there is so much to love about the UK and I'm now back to my previous level of enjoyment with the place and I pretty much ignore the doomsaying media because I know no place is perfect and there will be issues, just different ones to get used to. I love the freedom to walk around, to take public transport, to see people in the street, to not have everyone obsessed with buying things, the wonderful NHS, the ease of travelling to a seaside or a castle or somewhere to hike, the outward looking world view, the humour, being understood!........
Old Jun 18th 2007, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Serenity
Sometimes we have itchy feet, but I am ignoring it, because focusing on what you might have somewhere else, or what might be better somewhere else means you can miss out on what is here and now, miss out on enjoying the life you have here and now wherever that is.

Otherwise, home is where you make it and however unhappy you are home is where you are and if you decide to move you will miss home and hate this "new" place until you can build up a new home again, not just physical things, but a settled life.

Very well put, Serenity! You've summed up a lot of what I've been trying to sort through--that moving on isn't just about "escaping" from somewhere else. I am currently in Michigan, and I know I will have the same pangs you have about the place. For me, right now, it is most certainly my home. But I am looking forward to putting down roots somewhere else and taking my family on an adventure. Like you say, it will be impossible not to have pangs and feelings of homesickness for the place you're not (I "grew up" here in the U.S. too--was here when I was 21) and just knowing that ahead of time is well-worth keeping in mind.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingajoy
Very well put, Serenity! You've summed up a lot of what I've been trying to sort through--that moving on isn't just about "escaping" from somewhere else. I am currently in Michigan, and I know I will have the same pangs you have about the place. For me, right now, it is most certainly my home. But I am looking forward to putting down roots somewhere else and taking my family on an adventure. Like you say, it will be impossible not to have pangs and feelings of homesickness for the place you're not (I "grew up" here in the U.S. too--was here when I was 21) and just knowing that ahead of time is well-worth keeping in mind.
i came, i left, i came back!

I suppose when i left it was because of the home sickness, the familiar surroundings, convenience.... so i just said .. i dont want this and went back home.. but back there... pay in my job was crap...it was great the kids could just get on thier bikes and be off to the pool, or to their friends what they couldnt do here... school was back to the sameo sameo, but i then started to see here for not just the bad points... and i think what made me move back was the fear of not knowing if the girls had a future there or a better one here.. employment wise? we were in germany at the time, and some of u will know they are going thru a really bad economic time at the moment... so we came back..

Its not been easy this time either, but knowing we were doing it for the second time in 3 years, i knew this had to be it, no going back. This time i have taken more notice of things, good and bad. The only one thing that scares the hell out of me is the medical expenses. We have insurance and its still costing us a fortune. We actually have good ins. I think twice before going to the doc now. whereas before i used to go if i was ill .. now i tend to buy the over the counter stuff and treat myself..
I have now got a job, one i think i am made for that will keep be happy, although i do wonder if everyone else is going to be ok with it.
I have always moved around with my parents so upping and leaving has never been a problem .. but i would like to settle.. and be happy.
we have great neighbours and its great that people here just turn up .. and help..( were building a detached garage) no questions asked..I think were lucky were in a good area (mi too). I have no idea where the girls are going to end up.. and that bothers me that they go back and so far away again. But we all have our paths to take, be it right or be it wrong.
The downfall of coming, and going and coming back again was the cost! it cost me over 30.000 euros, an expensive little bit of lifes experiences. But i had to go back to realise i think this is where i wanted to be. Had i not i would have become resentful and it would have caused more problems.