Proud to be British?

Old Nov 21st 2011, 1:59 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proud to be British?

Originally Posted by KetteringEnglandRocks2005
Test Card F. Test Card Music. Pages from CEEFAX.
I thought I was the only one who liked those

I'd definitely have the BBC on there as well. Manc and Zargof were right on the money with their lists of British scientists. Also the history, architecture, engineering, NHS, National Trust and all the rest.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
T.S. Eliot
Terry Gilliam
Bill Bryson
Thomas Hutchinson
Bill Bryson is American isn't he ? Although I consider him an honorary Brit.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 2:06 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

T.S. Eliot
Terry Gilliam
Bill Bryson
Thomas Hutchinson
Thank you for including American ex pats. Hutchinson, a no win situation though.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 2:15 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Thank you for including American ex pats. Hutchinson, a no win situation though.
These four people stand for all the hundreds of thousands (millions, maybe?) of Americans who have emigrated from America to Great Britain over the last four hundred years.

As a matter of interest, for a good part of the twentieth century, the number of US citizens who migrated to the UK far exceeded the number of British citizens who migrated to the US annually.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 2:28 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

These four people stand for all the hundreds of thousands (millions, maybe?) of Americans who have emigrated from America to Great Britain over the last four hundred years.

As a matter of interest, for a good part of the twentieth century, the number of US citizens who migrated to the UK far exceeded the number of British citizens who migrated to the US annually.
Some for love, like my DH coming here, and some likely for health care and some who like the green, green grass of "home."
Old Nov 21st 2011, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

All part of our exceedingly cunning plan, eh Black Adder. A slow buildup, then one day, wham!: BRITYWORLD, the 51st Sate. White picket fences, apple pie, Fox News,.....
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:52 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

T.S. Eliot
Terry Gilliam
Bill Bryson
Thomas Hutchinson
Love his books and what he is doing for the Keep Britain Tidy campaign but ... British?

[Oops, looks like I'm about 5 posts behind]

Last edited by dunroving; Nov 21st 2011 at 6:55 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 7:37 pm
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I thought I was the only one who liked those

I'd definitely have the BBC on there as well. Manc and Zargof were right on the money with their lists of British scientists. Also the history, architecture, engineering, NHS, National Trust and all the rest.

and I thought that I was the only ones that liked these. By the time I was born and was a little kid through it was Test card F with a test tone and Pages from CEEFAX with Test Card Music.:sunglasses:

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Bill Bryson is American isn't he ? Although I consider him an honorary Brit.
Yes he is American but he did write the funny book about England Notes from a Small Island

Like my dad did in the early 1980s and again in the late 1980s and early 1990s while serving in the United States Air Force at RAF Alconbury. This is one reason why I am a duel British and American citizen. well that and the fact that that my Mum was a British citizen when I was born.

Originally Posted by theOAP
All part of our exceedingly cunning plan, eh Black Adder. A slow buildup, then one day, wham!: BRITYWORLD, the 51st Sate. White picket fences, apple pie, Fox News,.....

Well critics of the United States and of our foreign policy including some Republicans say that the UK along with Canada and Israel have been named 51st states because the US has such close relations with these nations. well that and many other reasons
I do not a agree with calling the UK, Canada, and Israel 51 states by the way.
But lest not get into politics with this forum because I do not think that this is the place for politics.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 7:43 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

and I thought that I was the only ones that liked these. By the time I was born and was a little kid through it was Test card F with a test tone and Pages from CEEFAX with Test Card Music.:sunglasses:
Same here - Test Card F was the only one they really used when I was watching TV. I always loved days off school, when you got to watch Ceefax AM, cheesy music and all. I was a saddo even then ...
Old Nov 21st 2011, 8:05 pm
Too young for BE

KetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant futureKetteringEnglandRocks2005 has a brilliant future

Same here - Test Card F was the only one they really used when I was watching TV. I always loved days off school, when you got to watch Ceefax AM, cheesy music and all. I was a saddo even then ...
You must be older than me because by the time I was a kid Test Card F and pages from CEEFAX were only used during the early hours of the morning because by then BBC1 had daytime TV and BBC2 had schools TV and sports so no Pages from CEEFAX or Test Card F during the day on BBC1. and the Music was mostly synthesizer and all non classical by then as well. This was the early 1990s. By 1997 all this was gone from BBC1 replaced with BBC news 24. But I was in the states by then so I do not remember BBC 1 airing BBC news 24 throughout the night.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 8:12 pm
I have a comma problem

You must be older than me because by the time I was a kid Test Card F and pages from CEEFAX were only used during the early hours of the morning because by then BBC1 had daytime TV and BBC2 had schools TV and sports so no Pages from CEEFAX or Test Card F during the day on BBC1. and the Music was mostly synthesizer and all non classical by then as well. This was the early 1990s. By 1997 all this was gone from BBC1 replaced with BBC news 24. But I was in the states by then so I do not remember BBC 1 airing BBC news 24 throughout the night.
This was the early-mid 1980s. Test Card F came in during the 70s so by the time I was a wee-un it was all they used. Ceefax AM used to come on at 6, and again at 10 if I remember right to fill in the gaps before the all-morning TV started in around '86 or so. Music was all that cheesy '70s smooth jazz, which is utter crap but such great memories of 'Ceefax Music' and those blocky graphics ...

I remember News 24 - I was 18 in 1997. By then I was usually sitting up through the night during the summer watching the Learning Zone on BBC2. The Chemistry of Almost Everything - what a show!
Old Nov 21st 2011, 8:40 pm
Too young for BE

This was the early-mid 1980s. Test Card F came in during the 70s so by the time I was a wee-un it was all they used. Ceefax AM used to come on at 6, and again at 10 if I remember right to fill in the gaps before the all-morning TV started in around '86 or so. Music was all that cheesy '70s smooth jazz, which is utter crap but such great memories of 'Ceefax Music' and those blocky graphics ...

I remember News 24 - I was 18 in 1997. By then I was usually sitting up through the night during the summer watching the Learning Zone on BBC2. The Chemistry of Almost Everything - what a show!
I thought that you were older than me when you talked about Test Card F and Pages from CEEFAX being used during the day. I quite liked the Pages from CEEFAX music and the blocky graphics were cool but I can do so much more and a lot better graphics now using Adobe Illustrator but they were great graphics for the mid 1970s. When I got up early in the morning I would either turn on and watch either BBC1 or ITV but sometimes I would turn on BBC2 to watch CBBC. BBC1 as I remember still used Pages from CEEFAX and Test Card F when I was a kid in the early morning and still did when I left the UK in 1996. I read somewhere BBC news 24 stared in late 1997 which by then I had been in the States for over a year but those days were great for me and I have some fine childhood memories of me waking up real early in the morning to see what was on TV and seeing either Pages from CEEFAX or Test Card F.
I do not remember much about the Learning Zone on BBC2 however.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 11:16 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember those films they used to play to fill in gaps in the schedule... London to Brighton in Four Minutes being the best of them. It does go past the house my sister bought, fifty years after the film was made..
Old Nov 21st 2011, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

cowtowntaff is an unknown quantity at this point

Can we claim Gilliam?
Old Nov 21st 2011, 11:19 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by cowtowntaff
Can we claim Gilliam?
Bloody hell I wish I hadn't posted that list of four American expats now. It seems to have got everyone up in (confused) arms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.