Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Pros and cons from your move from US back to UK

Pros and cons from your move from US back to UK

Old Aug 1st 2020, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pros and cons from your move from US back to UK

Originally Posted by Ukoneday
that isn’t allowed for kids even for renewals unfortunately
It looks like maybe only UK residents can now sign for passports, if this is true, this makes a passport renewal difficult.You can only confirm someone’s identity if you:
  • are 18 or over
  • live in the UK
  • have a current UK passport
  • have known the person applying for at least 2 years (this is the adult making the application if the passport is for a child under 16)
  • know the person applying as a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows you professionally)
Old Aug 1st 2020, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Bentley1984 is an unknown quantity at this point

how long did the passports take? How did you get the photos signed by someone who’s a U.K. resident? I’m needing to get my kids’ passports renewed ASAP! Thank you (and congrats l)
It was really easy.
You apply online and then i had my old friend from England who lives there authentic Tecate who my kids are. You just provide their email on the form and they will send them a link to verify your identity. They just need to know the names, DOB and address of the kids and myself.

Supporting evidence was both sets of grandparents birth certificates and a few other easy items.

It took 2 months and was so simple.

We have the kids first UK passports in hand now.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
It looks like maybe only UK residents can now sign for passports, if this is true, this makes a passport renewal difficult.You can only confirm someone’s identity if you:
  • are 18 or over
  • live in the UK
  • have a current UK passport
  • have known the person applying for at least 2 years (this is the adult making the application if the passport is for a child under 16)
  • know the person applying as a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows you professionally)
I don’t think this true if you live outside of the UK. You have only selected a small portion of the rules

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

If you’re applying in the UK
Your countersignatory must:
  • live in the UK
  • have a current British or Irish passport

If you’re applying outside the UK

Your countersignatory must have a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport.

If they have a US, Commonwealth, or non-British or non-Irish EU passport, you must include with your application a colour photocopy of the page with their photograph on it.

Your application will be processed faster if they have a British or Irish passport.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I don’t think this true if you live outside of the UK. You have only selected a small portion of the rules

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications
Thanks for this, the link they provide when applying online and stating that you are overseas etc is https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/...rming-identity Your link is much more useful.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Gov,uk site says this -"If you’re applying outside the UK

Your countersignatory must have a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport.

If they have a US, Commonwealth, or non-British or non-Irish EU passport, you must include with your application a colour photocopy of the page with their photograph on it.

Your application will be processed faster if they have a British or Irish passport.."

Last edited by scot47; Aug 1st 2020 at 4:19 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 4:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47

Gov,uk site says this -"If you’re applying outside the UK

Your application will be processed faster if they have a British or Irish passport.."
is this new because since leaving the UK I have never had my PP renewal signed by a Brit? My US doctor
countersigned in the US, I had my PP renewed a couple of years ago countersigned by a Canadian solicitor.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Ukoneday is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
is this new because since leaving the UK I have never had my PP renewal signed by a Brit? My US doctor
countersigned in the US, I had my PP renewed a couple of years ago countersigned by a Canadian solicitor.
Hangs head after reading website - I may have been in the US too long - just rechecked - I think it was eliminated more a long time ago.
Thank you for keeping me honest!
Old Aug 1st 2020, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

i think security and the danger of fraudulent applications is always a concern.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Probably is.

Our daughter renewed her passport while living in LA in 2018. She got her boss at work to do the countersigned photo, an Australian American.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I remember having a teacher friend sign my last renewal about 8 years ago and I had to send the picture page of her passport. This isn't new, but I got a bit concerned when the overseas application wizard stated that they wanted a UK resident to sign.

I'm going to make the assumption that the link Durham_Lad sent is still valid even though the application wizard doesn't direct you to that page.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Are you all renewing passports which have expired years ago?

I renewed my UK passport in Nov 2019, just prior to it expiring and I merely completed the form, paid the fee and sent off my old passport together with form.

Received my new passport back in 3 weeks. No countersignature required for anything.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Ukoneday is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

I renewed my UK passport in Nov 2019, just prior to it expiring and I merely completed the form, paid the fee and sent off my old passport together with form.

Received my new passport back in 3 weeks. No countersignature required for anything.
was it for your children or you as an adult?
i got my renewal fast but my children were also renewing last time and it took way longer.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

was it for your children or you as an adult?
i got my renewal fast but my children were also renewing last time and it took way longer.

adult.....
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

Our adult children had let their passports expire, and with our son it had been expired for over 10 years so when he applied for a renewal in 2016 it required not only a counter-signed photo but proof of birth plus copies of our UK passports. He only had a short-form birth certificate so we had to apply for a full birth certificate. He was living in Texas at the time, us in England, so I got all the paperwork and documents together then when he came for a visit that year we had our good friends who had know him from birth do the counte-signing. His passport was went to him back in Texas a few weeks later.
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 11:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
The reality is though, crime and particularly violent crime is far more prevalent in the US than the U.K. by a very large margin. The knife crimes in the U.K. are largely an issue of youth gang on gang and are mainly confined to particular areas. The average member of the public has very little chance of being subject to it.
But the reality is that that statement is equally true in the US, and I would argue even more so.

While the overall violence is shocking in the US, it is largely confined to either geographic or racial compartments, and often both, confined to black or hispanic gangs engaged in drug trafficking or other criminal activities. The result is that in the "leafy suburbs" of the US you are in no more danger in the US than you are in the UK, and I suspect that you are probably at greater risk in the UK of being assaulted by a knife-wielding thug if you go out to a bar or restaurant at night, than you are of being attacked in most places in the US under similar circumstances.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.