Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Professional advice on moving back for retirement

Professional advice on moving back for retirement

Old Jan 23rd 2021, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Jeff3500 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Professional advice on moving back for retirement

Hi all, im a 58 year old British person living in US since 2007 on a green card. Missing the UK terribly now and plan to retire in 2022 when im 60 and return to U K. I have qualified for SS over 40 credits and will have UK pension, i have investments in the US and would like to get some professional advice on the process, investments, US SS, banking, US citizenship if necessary. Can anyone recommend a firm that can help?

many thanks
Old Jan 31st 2021, 3:32 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professional advice on moving back for retirement

Kieran Lynch of Lynch Accountng in Crewe. We use him for Canadian and UK tax, but I believe he also handles US tax too. Might be worth an equity. Good luck with everything.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you looking for US citizenship if you are thinking of moving back to UK and retiring?

Unless you think you might want to spend months in the US in the future getting US citizenship seems an unnecessary move?
Old Jan 31st 2021, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Why are you looking for US citizenship if you are thinking of moving back to UK and retiring?

Unless you think you might want to spend months in the US in the future getting US citizenship seems an unnecessary move?
I agree. It is expensive being a USC living overseas, being taxed on worldwide income regardless of where you live. The OP will still get his SS as a non-citizen and it will only be taxed in the UK.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

OP said US Citizenship "if necessary"
Old Jan 31st 2021, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
OP said US Citizenship "if necessary"
That’s why I pointed out that the SS he now qualifies for is not dependent on citizenship.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Kieran Lynch of Lynch Accountng in Crewe. We use him for Canadian and UK tax, but I believe he also handles US tax too. Might be worth an equity. Good luck with everything.
I can second that recommendation. Professional service and reasonable fees
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

Streetlegal is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a bit confused. I'm also on a green card and hope to retire and move back to the UK in about 2023. I had assumed that you would still be liable for exactly the same overseas tax whether you become a US citizen or not. I had assumed that if the bulk of one's money was coming from the States then one would be better off becoming a citizen just for security reasons. Am I wrong?

I haven't decided yet whether to take out citizenship, but was planning to . . . would I be better off staying on a greencard?
Old Feb 2nd 2021, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Streetlegal
I'm a bit confused. I'm also on a green card and hope to retire and move back to the UK in about 2023. I had assumed that you would still be liable for exactly the same overseas tax whether you become a US citizen or not. I had assumed that if the bulk of one's money was coming from the States then one would be better off becoming a citizen just for security reasons. Am I wrong?

I haven't decided yet whether to take out citizenship, but was planning to . . . would I be better off staying on a greencard?
I can’t think of any security reasons for becoming a US citizen before moving back. Certainly the protections on my US pensions and brokerage account are independent of citizenship. My US passport states that if I am a dual citizenship and am in the country of my other citizenship I can’t expect any help from the US Embassy if I run into trouble.
Old Feb 6th 2021, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Thank you everyone for your responses. Regarding GC we have to give that up when we move back as far as im aware. My concern is that ill be in the UK for several years before im eligible for US SS. Im wondering how thats going to work in practice, these are not the easiest people to get help from. Do i have to give up my SSN, in which case how do you even go about applying? I also thought we are luable for US taxation just simply because claiming SSN? Am I overthinking this
Old Feb 6th 2021, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, will look him up
Old Feb 6th 2021, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jeff3500
Thank you everyone for your responses. Regarding GC we have to give that up when we move back as far as im aware. My concern is that ill be in the UK for several years before im eligible for US SS. Im wondering how thats going to work in practice, these are not the easiest people to get help from. Do i have to give up my SSN, in which case how do you even go about applying? I also thought we are luable for US taxation just simply because claiming SSN? Am I overthinking this
Even as a non-US citizen or GC holder your SS is still due to you and because of the tax treaty it is only taxable in the UK if you are resident there. When you are ready to file you do so through the Federal Benefits Unit at the US Embassy in London. SS payments go straight to your UK bank account.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...eral-benefits/

send a message to them here, which is what my wife and I used in applying for Medicare last year.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...email_enquiry/
Old Feb 6th 2021, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks durham_lad