Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Probable stupid question re remote work for a UK organization while in the US

Probable stupid question re remote work for a UK organization while in the US

Old Jul 25th 2020, 2:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Probable stupid question re remote work for a UK organization while in the U

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Yes, those HSBC account criteria are too steep for me.

Does anyone know if a UK employer can pay a payroll check to a British citizen (me) who is still resident in the US and is also a US citizen into a Transferwise borderless account? Obviously money can be paid into such an account, but can an employer do that in the regular way, with UK payroll deductions presumably, that I would then have to deal with on the US end at tax filing time? Would I still have to set up as a self-employed business to do this? I have looked on the Transferwise site but their answers aren't specific enough on this question at all.

I don't yet know if this will come up, but I like getting information so that I have some idea of what may be feasible. It would only be for a temporary bridge period that would allow for Covid to subside a bit and give me time to move, etc.
Collecting your pay into a bank account and the matter of taxes are entirely separate questions.

I am not at all familiar with Transfer wise borderless accounts, but if Transfer wise can set you up with an account number that comes with a British bank sort code , then you can collect payment, and there is no reason for your employer to need to know anything more, with respect to paying you.

The question for you to ask a prospective employer is "can you treatment me as a contractor, and pay me gross, including employer's NI, so I can pay taxes where I live, in the US."

And yes, if you are living and working in the US you must register as self employed so you can pay taxes here (unless there is the rather unlikely alternative of your employer having a US subsidiary where they can add you to the payroll). To reiterate what I said above, being paid into a bank account is an entirely unconnected to the payment of taxes.

And to answer one more question regarding taxes, you cannot file taxes in the US and claim a deduction for taxes paid the in UK if you are on a payroll in the UK while actually working in the US.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 3:42 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Probable stupid question re remote work for a UK organization while in the U

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Collecting your pay into a bank account and the matter of taxes are entirely separate questions.

I am not at all familiar with Transfer wise borderless accounts, but if Transfer wise can set you up with an account number that comes with a British bank sort code , then you can collect payment, and there is no reason for your employer to need to know anything more, with respect to paying you.

The question for you to ask a prospective employer is "can you treatment me as a contractor, and pay me gross, including employer's NI, so I can pay taxes where I live, in the US."

And yes, if you are living and working in the US you must register as self employed so you can pay taxes here (unless there is the rather unlikely alternative of your employer having a US subsidiary where they can add you to the payroll). To reiterate what I said above, being paid into a bank account is an entirely unconnected to the payment of taxes.

And to answer one more question regarding taxes, you cannot file taxes in the US and claim a deduction for taxes paid the in UK if you are on a payroll in the UK while actually working in the US.
Gotcha, very helpful, thanks. You're not just a pretty face.
Old Jul 26th 2020, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"Thread drift" has taken us from working in the USA for a company in the UK to how to speculate on the stock market ! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh !
Old Jul 26th 2020, 1:00 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
"Thread drift" has taken us from working in the USA for a company in the UK to how to speculate on the stock market ! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh !
It's ok, I asked an additional question about stocks in my second post, but it was about what could be done from which location, rather than "how to speculate".

I'm just trying to work out potential options and have as many of them as possible while I look to resolve my covid-driven unemployment.
Old Jul 31st 2020, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

GOALFIRE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad

I converted my mutual funds to ETFs before I moved and it is ETF shares that I trade in my taxable account. I also trade mutual funds in my IRA as there is no UK tax implications until distributions are made.
Did you by chance keep a US address on your Vanguard account. I just called them (as I've read a lot of conflicting data about being able to buy and sell whilst not living in the US) and they said I could only buy if I was a US resident, as in my account was tied to a US address, if not I could only sell and withdraw. Which makes rebalancing my asset allocation a bit trickier but not impossible. I suppose I could always use a relatives address here in the US if I needed to. Just something else to plan for.
Old Jul 31st 2020, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GOALFIRE
Did you by chance keep a US address on your Vanguard account. I just called them (as I've read a lot of conflicting data about being able to buy and sell whilst not living in the US) and they said I could only buy if I was a US resident, as in my account was tied to a US address, if not I could only sell and withdraw. Which makes rebalancing my asset allocation a bit trickier but not impossible. I suppose I could always use a relatives address here in the US if I needed to. Just something else to plan for.
Yes I did.

My street address is listed as my U.K. address with my UK phone number. My correspondence address is listed as my daughter’s address in California. I also have a US Skype number listed as the number to confirm 2nd level verification when needed.