British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Private citizenship ceremony anyone? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/private-citizenship-ceremony-anyone-542736/)

Shhhhhh Jun 13th 2008 12:21 am

Private citizenship ceremony anyone?

Shortly before our way out, flights booked and everything, we hit the stumbling block of not making it into our council's next official ceremony.
We have about four weeks left after this ceremony and before our flights, which we would not like to change, to get it done privately.
Has anybody else ever done anything like, is this a matter that can be resolved with a quick phone call or does this call for a written application with supportive documentation ? Any input greatly appreciated!

Elaine B. Jun 13th 2008 12:25 am

Re: Private citizenship ceremony anyone?

Originally Posted by Shhhhhh (Post 6462019)
Shortly before our way out, flights booked and everything, we hit the stumbling block of not making it into our council's next official ceremony.
We have about four weeks left after this ceremony and before our flights, which we would not like to change, to get it done privately.
Has anybody else ever done anything like, is this a matter that can be resolved with a quick phone call or does this call for a written application with supportive documentation ? Any input greatly appreciated!

It might help if you tell people where you are;)

Shhhhhh Jun 13th 2008 12:51 am

Re: Private citizenship ceremony in Australia anyone?

Thanks for the hint. This is about a private citizenship ceremony in Australia.

Elaine B. Jun 13th 2008 1:00 am

Re: Private citizenship ceremony in Australia anyone?

Originally Posted by Shhhhhh (Post 6462057)
Thanks for the hint. This is about a private citizenship ceremony in Australia.

Hope you get some info. I'd never heard of a private ceremony:thumbup:

I'm waiting to be called to take my citizenship oath here in Canada so I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I've also already booked my flight home for July 13th.

JAJ Jun 13th 2008 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Shhhhhh (Post 6462019)

If you are planning to leave Australia permanently before being sworn in as a citizen, are you sure that this does not give rise to a basis for your citizenship approval to be cancelled?

Kath & Graham Jun 13th 2008 11:28 am

I know a couple of people that have had private ceremonies, I think you ring up your local council and they will help you with it..

K

Eric Hitchmo Jun 13th 2008 3:52 pm

Sounds like going through the Aussie citizenship ceremony is a bit like having a vasectomy, it's a bit too embarassing to talk about or admit to. I can understand that.

Shhhhhh Jun 14th 2008 1:39 am

Yeah, when you're out of the woods, you don't wanna look back.
Fingers crossed, we'll have our private ceremony soon enough and will then get back with a knuckle-biting account of the true facts.

Renie Jun 14th 2008 2:29 am

We had a private ceremony at the local council, was supposed to have one big gathering with everyone else, but they lost paperwork for myself so when we turned up we couldn't go ahead, so they offered us a private ceremony.

Not a lot involved, had an Australian flag, badge etc was sooooo excited but disappointed I didn't get the plant as well.

Good luck

Mikeyc Jun 14th 2008 7:07 am

I had a private ceremony, I just contacted the local council and told them I was going overseas for a holiday with the possibility of short study (don’t tell them your leaving for good!) and that I would like an Aussie passport for when I travel, They did it no problem for me, It was just me and another family in the council office (Joondalup in Perth) and it took about 10 min.

Good Luck.

Mikey

Shhhhhh Jun 14th 2008 9:42 am

Thanks for the updates and the good luck wishes, all! This might work out better than I was daring to hope - after we've made that call to the council. Probably it's just my shaky nerves imagining all sorts of things going wrong at the last minute.