Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Prime mover for moving back...him or her?

Prime mover for moving back...him or her?

Old Jan 5th 2006, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Prime mover for moving back...him or her?

Hi all, something that I have wondered, purely out of interest and no hidden agenda. I am fortunate as I love my life here in Canada...but recognize that peoples circumstances vary considerably, be it emplyment, kids, family friends etc. Was thinking more along the lines of the above factors being fairly good...but one or the other wants to go back to the UK.

I just wondered if there is a pattern of any description as to who becomes unsettled first...him or her?

Thanks and the very best for 2006 to all

Last edited by macadian; Jan 5th 2006 at 5:34 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 3:11 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Prime mover for moving back...him or her?

Originally Posted by macadian
Hi all, something that I have wondered, purely out of interest and no hidden agenda. I am fortunate as I love my life here in Canada...but recognize that peoples circumstances vary considerably, be it emplyment, kids, family friends etc. Was thinking more along the lines of the above factors being fairly good...but one or the other wants to go back to the UK.

I just wondered if there is a pattern of any description as to who becomes unsettled first...him or her?

Thanks and the very best for 2006 to all
I think its about 80% women who get unsettled first. The men just seem to carry on as though nothing around them has changed!?? They are so dependent on their partners that they feel settled as long as she/he is there?
Old Jan 8th 2006, 3:21 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macadian
I'm a single female expat who feels unsettled so I'm going with 'she'.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

I felt that I missed my family so I guess that it was a she.
Hubby then missed the finances so then it was a he.
Now it is a we don't know
Old Jan 9th 2006, 12:45 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

'Twas not I, the expat but, him, the Yank that wanted to move, (back).
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:55 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
'Twas not I, the expat but, him, the Yank that wanted to move, (back).
Not that either of us wants to go back.......................but hubby is the one who has struggled to settle from day 1 whereas I have been OK (on the whole that is................odd days of missing X factor and seeing David and Victoria cheesing up at us from every tabloid)
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:41 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

This is somthing i have noticed after 25 years in the moving business, and it,s only from personal cases , Australian women ,who go on working Holidays to the UK, marry a uk citizen, eventually drag the guy to Australia , it seems the guy always takes off back .
Do British men who arrive in Aust at the bidding of their partners , have a problem with Australia or is it a "man thing" ............ mm
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

One week it would be 'him', the next week it would be me! Then the week after it would be neither!

Ultimately, he was quite homesick (I wasn't), but I was terrified of being 'alone' in a new land with a new baby and no idea how to look after it! So between the two of us, we agreed to go back, but I think we probably had slightly different agendas.