Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Prices for QM2 vs Continental for dogs - Oct 2010

Prices for QM2 vs Continental for dogs - Oct 2010

Old Oct 24th 2010, 2:01 pm
Back home in Kent....

England1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really nice
Default Prices for QM2 vs Continental for dogs - Oct 2010

I've just done all my homework on this and here is the breakdown for anyone that needs to know.

I am travelling with a Restricted Breed - Pekingese 12lbs (snubbed nosed) - Virgin will not fly this breed

Continental Airlines direct from New York to Heathrow

Flight for me $700

$659 Airfare (this is for a dog weighing between 10lb to 50lb)
Additional for Defra and fees
$533 arriving heathrow between 9am - 5pm OR
$610.29 if you arrive before 9am

Cunard - QM2
Cost for me (1 person) is $1245

and an additional amount for
$300 for a small kennel or
$500 for larger kennel (I had to have a large as this is what they only have available)

I booked the QM2 - 12 days before I am travelling on 1st Nov 2010 - they have kennels available even though they state that pets are booked over a year in advance (they have cancellations).

I hope this helps anyone trying to get their pooch back as I know its a very stressful time.

Last edited by England1971; Oct 24th 2010 at 2:55 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prices for QM2 vs Continental for dogs - Oct 2010

This is very interesting. Thanks. I have recommended to people in the past to investigate this as an option for travel but never actually knew how it worked out financially.

So does the dog have to stay in the kennel all the time? Is this in a luggage part of the ship? Are you allowed to walk it on deck and take it to your cabin?
Old Oct 24th 2010, 4:10 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. I too will do this when it is time to return. Unfortunately as a single traveller, you are screwed, but if there are 2 more more in a cabin it makes better financial sense.

The dogs are kept in an area up on deck I believe and you can visit them and take them for a little walk in that area. You cannot take them to your cabin.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

Just found out some more about this:

http://www.suite101.com/content/taki...-cruise-a22101

& this is a very cute site made by someone with WAY too much money...but some useful information:

http://betterwords.typepad.com/peppe...en-mary-2.html
Old Oct 24th 2010, 4:37 pm
Back home in Kent....

England1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really nice

For me as a single traveller it worked out to being $200 cheaper on the QM2 than taking the dog on Continental and having all the worry about whether he will make it being a restricted breed and a senior dog of 8 years in the Cargo hold of the plane.

There are 12 kennels on the ship and they are looked after by a full time kennel master. You can spend the time with them during the day at the allocated kennels (that having walking areas and play areas for them). They do, however, spend the night there without you. You are not allowed to take them in the cabin.

Once I get home I will write again as to how the trip was for me and pooch.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 5:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by England1971
For me as a single traveller it worked out to being $200 cheaper on the QM2 than taking the dog on Continental and having all the worry about whether he will make it being a restricted breed and a senior dog of 8 years in the Cargo hold of the plane.

There are 12 kennels on the ship and they are looked after by a full time kennel master. You can spend the time with them during the day at the allocated kennels (that having walking areas and play areas for them). They do, however, spend the night there without you. You are not allowed to take them in the cabin.

Once I get home I will write again as to how the trip was for me and pooch.
Apparently (from previous posts) the guy who takes care of the dogs is fantastic, so your dog will be in good hands.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for writing about cost comparison. calle had written about this long time ago and when and if i go back to uk for my 1 year trial period then i would use the QM2 for my nutter of a dog Jude..
Old Oct 25th 2010, 12:14 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen this, they are now discounting the QM2 for the November crossing. http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise/cunar...uise=1&noint=1
Ds and I were talking today it'd would be a lovely way to go home, a trip of a lifetime for Dh. He'd want to tour the engine room and talk to the engineer, He always said he should have joined the merchant navy.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

claire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really niceclaire600 is just really nice

Hi there

This is an excellent post. I have looked at this option and think it would be a great way to return But I have 2 cats and we are in Nova Scotia so would have to travel to New York and that maybe more stress for them than a 5 1/2 hour flight from Halifax ...

Would consider the QM2 though when it comes time to go home. i am currently investigating micro chips that can be read in the UK

Claire
Old Oct 25th 2010, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

I would be surprised if Continental would accept a Peke. I have a Bulldog mix and they absolutely refused to take him, said no snub nosed dogs at all even if they are a mixed breed. BA will take them (or did).

Claire, I used the Home Again microchip which worked fine in England.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 12:25 pm
Back home in Kent....

Good morning everyone.

Continental taking a peke home....
I already spoke to Continental at the beginning of October on the Pets Reservation line that is on their website. They were fine with it. All I had to do was make sure that his crate was one size larger for him. Then I changed my mind after booking the QM2.

The $$ is correct of October 2010 of this year and you can see the comparison that it is cheaper for a single person to travel on the QM2. I did ask how much it would cost me for 2 occupations and it would of been $1600 instead of $1200.

Claire - the chip has to be ISO compatiable for it to be read in England. The Home Again is a good one!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 2:41 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Prices for QM2 vs Continental for dogs - Oct 2010

Good morning everyone.

Continental taking a peke home....
I already spoke to Continental at the beginning of October on the Pets Reservation line that is on their website. They were fine with it. All I had to do was make sure that his crate was one size larger for him. Then I changed my mind after booking the QM2.

The $$ is correct of October 2010 of this year and you can see the comparison that it is cheaper for a single person to travel on the QM2. I did ask how much it would cost me for 2 occupations and it would of been $1600 instead of $1200.

Wow....that's an incredible fare for your dog and yourself to sail back to the UK - and in style too! No stress for your pooch, no luggage/weight restrictions and no jetlag either I don't know if you've ever read Calle's posts (sorry there is a hypen over the 'e' in Calle but I don't know how to type it here!). She returned on the QM2 with her cat and dog, spouse and children and thought it was amazing and she went into a lot of detail on this board about their experience on the ship.

How are you getting from Ohio to NYC with your pooch and luggage?
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:23 am
Back home in Kent....

I am leaving Sunday via car to New York. My Aunt is taking me and we are staying by the port in Brooklyn before I board on Monday.

I did also read Calle's post and it was very interesting and I am really looking forward to going home to England. Plus having a nice restful and peaceful time on the QM2.

My dog also loves the car and will probably just snore the entire time too.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good luck and be sure to report back once you get home.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 9:30 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Prices for QM2 vs Continental for dogs - Oct 2010

I've just done all my homework on this and here is the breakdown for anyone that needs to know.

I am travelling with a Restricted Breed - Pekingese 12lbs (snubbed nosed) - Virgin will not fly this breed

Continental Airlines direct from New York to Heathrow

Flight for me $700

$659 Airfare (this is for a dog weighing between 10lb to 50lb)
Additional for Defra and fees
$533 arriving heathrow between 9am - 5pm OR
$610.29 if you arrive before 9am

Cunard - QM2
Cost for me (1 person) is $1245

and an additional amount for
$300 for a small kennel or
$500 for larger kennel (I had to have a large as this is what they only have available)

I booked the QM2 - 12 days before I am travelling on 1st Nov 2010 - they have kennels available even though they state that pets are booked over a year in advance (they have cancellations).

I hope this helps anyone trying to get their pooch back as I know its a very stressful time.
I don't know if you will ever look in on BE again now that you are on your way to your new life in the UK....but it would be great if you could post how your journey on the QM2 went for you and your dog?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.