Wikiposts

Price for Housing in York

Old Nov 22nd 2008, 3:29 am
Just Joined

philcan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Price for Housing in York

Hello,

could you advise me, how high are the prices for renting the flat in York? I know, prices are different, it depends on the area, quality of the flat and lot of another things. But I would like to know at least what for prices should I expect - the lowest and the highest.

I'm interested in one bedroom flats, not very far from the city centre. I don't need luxury flat, only something normal. And my second question. What is the usuall difference in fees for housing, when you are an owner of a flat and when you are only renting it (how much usually owners want for themselves when you are a lodger). That means - is it much better to buy a flat or only live as a subtenant (lodger)?
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 3:31 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Price for Housing in York

Originally Posted by philcan
Hello,

could you advise me, how high are the prices for renting the flat in York? I know, prices are different, it depends on the area, quality of the flat and lot of another things. But I would like to know at least what for prices should I expect - the lowest and the highest.

I'm interested in one bedroom flats, not very far from the city centre. I don't need luxury flat, only something normal. And my second question. What is the usuall difference in fees for housing, when you are an owner of a flat and when you are only renting it (how much usually owners want for themselves when you are a lodger). That means - is it much better to buy a flat or only live as a subtenant (lodger)?

www.gumtree.co.uk
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
And my second question. What is the usuall difference in fees for housing, when you are an owner of a flat and when you are only renting it (how much usually owners want for themselves when you are a lodger). That means - is it much better to buy a flat or only live as a subtenant (lodger)?
The cost of ownership will depend on the cost of the property, the size of any mortgage and also the costs of buying need to be factored in.

Most tenancies are short assured where you have 6 months (or whatever term is specified) of exclusive use of the property. You would be expected to pay rent even if you decided to leave until another tenant is found but it's imperative to read the clauses of the tenancy agreement.

Lodging is occupation by licence and you have no security whatsoever & can be asked to leave with no notice. It should be cheaper to lodge to compensate for this....you also would have to share facilities.

www.rightmove.co.uk
www.lettingweb.com
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 4:10 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say right now almost anywhere in the UK, you're better off renting than buying. Mortgages are very difficult to get, house prices are not rising (and are generally falling), and renting is probably cheaper than paying a mortgage.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 8:48 am
Just Joined

I've found for example rents for about 400-500 pounds per month for 1 bedroom flats. Are these prices complete or are there another money which are needed to pay? I think, there is a council tax, etc. How high are these numbers?
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 8:54 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I've found for example rents for about 400-500 pounds per month for 1 bedroom flats. Are these prices complete or are there another money which are needed to pay? I think, there is a council tax, etc. How high are these numbers?
Yes, you also pay council tax if you are renting (same as if you are buying). I'm not sure how much this is in different areas, but a 1-BR flat should be well below 100 GBP per month.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 9:24 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Look at rightmove.co.uk for rentals.

I was offered a holiday let to rent for 3 months in York and the council tax on top of rent was 98 quid/month.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 9:35 am
Just Joined

What is it a "shared house"? Could it be the suitable living for a single man or is it only for temporary living?
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 10:03 am
Ping-ponger

What is it a "shared house"? Could it be the suitable living for a single man or is it only for temporary living?
You share a rented house with other people. Often, you pay for a room and "lodge" with the owner, or it might be a situation where you sub-let from someone who is the main renter (i.e., the leaseholder). This is often cheaper (because you share the costs of utiilities and council tax). Renting a 1-BR house for 450 GBP for example, is more expensive than sharing a 2-BR house that rents (total) for 600 GBP.

As pointed out, you have less security in this situation. And yes, there are plenty of single men sharing a house with other people, it's quite common in the UK (most students do this, for example).