Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Preparing our dog for travel

Preparing our dog for travel

Old Jan 3rd 2011, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Welsh Heart is just really niceWelsh Heart is just really niceWelsh Heart is just really niceWelsh Heart is just really niceWelsh Heart is just really niceWelsh Heart is just really niceWelsh Heart is just really niceWelsh Heart is just really nice
Default Preparing our dog for travel

We are headed back to the UK sometime around mid Feb but our Labrador cannot travel before mid June as per his rabies schedule. We will be leaving him with family here in Queensland until he is able to fly.
We are concerned we may have missed something or that there may be something we need to do to enable him to leave the country on time and without hiccup.
Any advice for us?

PS the best quote we have received thus far is a shade under $4k Brisbane-London.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Preparing our dog for travel

Originally Posted by Welsh Heart
We are headed back to the UK sometime around mid Feb but our Labrador cannot travel before mid June as per his rabies schedule. We will be leaving him with family here in Queensland until he is able to fly.
We are concerned we may have missed something or that there may be something we need to do to enable him to leave the country on time and without hiccup.
Any advice for us?

PS the best quote we have received thus far is a shade under $4k Brisbane-London.
It would help if you explain what you have done so far, that way we can see if anything is missing!
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 1:10 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice for us?

Probably everything you need is contained in the Wiki on shipping dogs back to the UK: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shippi...Back_to_the_UK
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Pauljarv is an unknown quantity at this point

Check on the DEFRA website, it's pretty clear and easy to follow. We bought a dog over and basically had to get him a microchip, rabie jab, blood test results, wait 6 months, book ticket, get tick/tapeworm treatment 24-48 hours before the flight, crate him up then fly.

Honestly check DEFRA (you can google them as easy as me) as you need to have done things in the right order i.e. microchip before rabies jab, otherwise you're back to square one.

It's pretty simple but you need to plan and organise as if you make a mistake there's nothing you can do. I was told that if they check the dog and find a tick on him after he's had the treatment they just ship him back where he came from! That may have been them trying to scare me.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

Welsh Heart is just really niceWelsh Heart is just really niceWelsh Heart is just really niceWelsh Heart is just really niceWelsh Heart is just really niceWelsh Heart is just really niceWelsh Heart is just really niceWelsh Heart is just really nice

So far we have had his micro chip and rabies vacination done and he is sitting out his 6 months which is up in June 2011.

As we will be back in the UK and will be leaving him with family and they will be doing all the legwork to get him on a plane home to us we just want to ensure we have done everything possible to make things as easy for them and our dog to get back safely and without incident.

Bit vague I know but this whole thinh about moving halfway round the world is giving me a headache lol
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

zednought will become famous soon enough

So far we have had his micro chip and rabies vacination done and he is sitting out his 6 months which is up in June 2011.

As we will be back in the UK and will be leaving him with family and they will be doing all the legwork to get him on a plane home to us we just want to ensure we have done everything possible to make things as easy for them and our dog to get back safely and without incident.

Bit vague I know but this whole thinh about moving halfway round the world is giving me a headache lol
Have you had the titer blood test done? This is the most important part.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 6:38 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zednought
Have you had the titer blood test done? This is the most important part.
I hope the answer is "Yes".