British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Preparing our dog for travel (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/preparing-our-dog-travel-698956/)

Welsh Heart Jan 3rd 2011 12:41 am

Preparing our dog for travel

We are headed back to the UK sometime around mid Feb but our Labrador cannot travel before mid June as per his rabies schedule. We will be leaving him with family here in Queensland until he is able to fly.
We are concerned we may have missed something or that there may be something we need to do to enable him to leave the country on time and without hiccup.
Any advice for us?

PS the best quote we have received thus far is a shade under $4k Brisbane-London.

shelley748 Jan 3rd 2011 12:38 pm

Re: Preparing our dog for travel

Originally Posted by Welsh Heart (Post 9073436)
We are headed back to the UK sometime around mid Feb but our Labrador cannot travel before mid June as per his rabies schedule. We will be leaving him with family here in Queensland until he is able to fly.
We are concerned we may have missed something or that there may be something we need to do to enable him to leave the country on time and without hiccup.
Any advice for us?

PS the best quote we have received thus far is a shade under $4k Brisbane-London.

It would help if you explain what you have done so far, that way we can see if anything is missing!:eek:

dunroving Jan 3rd 2011 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Welsh Heart (Post 9073436)
Any advice for us?

Probably everything you need is contained in the Wiki on shipping dogs back to the UK: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shippi...Back_to_the_UK

Pauljarv Jan 4th 2011 3:10 pm

Check on the DEFRA website, it's pretty clear and easy to follow. We bought a dog over and basically had to get him a microchip, rabie jab, blood test results, wait 6 months, book ticket, get tick/tapeworm treatment 24-48 hours before the flight, crate him up then fly.

Honestly check DEFRA (you can google them as easy as me) as you need to have done things in the right order i.e. microchip before rabies jab, otherwise you're back to square one.

It's pretty simple but you need to plan and organise as if you make a mistake there's nothing you can do. I was told that if they check the dog and find a tick on him after he's had the treatment they just ship him back where he came from! That may have been them trying to scare me.

Welsh Heart Jan 9th 2011 3:50 am

So far we have had his micro chip and rabies vacination done and he is sitting out his 6 months which is up in June 2011.

As we will be back in the UK and will be leaving him with family and they will be doing all the legwork to get him on a plane home to us we just want to ensure we have done everything possible to make things as easy for them and our dog to get back safely and without incident.

Bit vague I know but this whole thinh about moving halfway round the world is giving me a headache lol :ohmy:

zednought Jan 9th 2011 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Welsh Heart (Post 9087649)
So far we have had his micro chip and rabies vacination done and he is sitting out his 6 months which is up in June 2011.

As we will be back in the UK and will be leaving him with family and they will be doing all the legwork to get him on a plane home to us we just want to ensure we have done everything possible to make things as easy for them and our dog to get back safely and without incident.

Bit vague I know but this whole thinh about moving halfway round the world is giving me a headache lol :ohmy:

Have you had the titer blood test done? This is the most important part.

dunroving Jan 9th 2011 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by zednought (Post 9088897)
Have you had the titer blood test done? This is the most important part.

I hope the answer is "Yes". :fingerscrossed: