Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Be prepared for "Reverse Culture Shock"

Be prepared for "Reverse Culture Shock"

Old May 31st 2007, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Be prepared for "Reverse Culture Shock"

If i had plane ticket in my tomorrow , but friends have booked to come over in october, with a week in sydney, and i dont want to ask then to canx or they'll loose the money, so going to wait until after then. Hubby wants to wait until feburary when lease runs out and wants them to have a normal xmas this year but i know when my friend goes back, i'll be twitching to get my flights booked. When you off?

sj

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
when you off? soon?
Old May 31st 2007, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne
If i had plane ticket in my tomorrow , but friends have booked to come over in october, with a week in sydney, and i dont want to ask then to canx or they'll loose the money, so going to wait until after then. Hubby wants to wait until feburary when lease runs out and wants them to have a normal xmas this year but i know when my friend goes back, i'll be twitching to get my flights booked. When you off?

sj

May be good to have that extra time, in a way. Good you have friends coming over & I"m sure you'll be itching to get back nce they've gone.
Not sure when I'm off.
I was planning a holiday reccie 1st, (have pinged already too) but I just cant stop thinking I may as well just book a flight back, pack everything and go back now. I dont see myself staying here long term so in a way seems more sensible to just go.
Looking at flights and things at the mo.
Trying to not be too impulsive
Old May 31st 2007, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

thomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to beholdthomas and sarahjayne is a splendid one to behold

Good luck with them.

sj

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
May be good to have that extra time, in a way. Good you have friends coming over & I"m sure you'll be itching to get back nce they've gone.
Not sure when I'm off.
I was planning a holiday reccie 1st, (have pinged already too) but I just cant stop thinking I may as well just book a flight back, pack everything and go back now. I dont see myself staying here long term so in a way seems more sensible to just go.
Looking at flights and things at the mo.
Trying to not be too impulsive
Old May 31st 2007, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thomas and sarahjayne
Good luck with them.

sj
U2.....
xx
Old May 31st 2007, 5:38 pm
Banned

JohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud of

A lot of people who never even moved abroad feel like strangers in their own country in the UK. I think its because there are so many Polish people here.
Old May 31st 2007, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnStang
A lot of people who never even moved abroad feel like strangers in their own country in the UK. I think its because there are so many Polish people here.
la la la la la la ...can't hear you
Old May 31st 2007, 6:11 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

John - how did you happen upon this information - what does 'so many Polish people' actually mean - 2, 200, 2000....?? How do you know that a lot of people in the UK 'feel like strangers' - have you done some bonafide research in the field of how people feel in the UK?? Or perhaps you are merely quoting the much repeated media hype on the subject. (The Polish thing has been done to death on this site I think even the UK bashers are sick of hearing about it!!)

I have lived in the UK for 37 years and can honestly say I have never come across one Polish person.

Last edited by pommybird; May 31st 2007 at 6:25 pm.
Old May 31st 2007, 7:54 pm
Banned

JohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pommybird
John - how did you happen upon this information - what does 'so many Polish people' actually mean - 2, 200, 2000....?? How do you know that a lot of people in the UK 'feel like strangers' - have you done some bonafide research in the field of how people feel in the UK?? Or perhaps you are merely quoting the much repeated media hype on the subject. (The Polish thing has been done to death on this site I think even the UK bashers are sick of hearing about it!!)

I have lived in the UK for 37 years and can honestly say I have never come across one Polish person.
where do you live at? there are many where i live. there is even a polish food shop here. i know for a fact that in some areas of the country they are even considering putting road signs in polish as well as english. but here there are also many more nationalities other than polish. mainly eastern european, middle eastern and african.
Old May 31st 2007, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

where do you live at? there are many where i live. there is even a polish food shop here. i know for a fact that in some areas of the country they are even considering putting road signs in polish as well as english. but here there are also many more nationalities other than polish. mainly eastern european, middle eastern and african.
And here there are a multitude of nationalities and I have no problem with that. The world is made up of different people or haven't you noticed???
Old Jun 1st 2007, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

So what....as long as people are law abiding and pleasant. The road sign idea is to prevent road collisions, which kill more people than any other incident