Pregnant Smokers

Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:31 am
  #76  
Queen of my house
 
tamms_1965's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,043
tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Smokers

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
A gal I work beside is due to give birth at the end of April but I've found out that she still smokes. I know it's not my place to say anything but I hate the thought that her unborn daughter isn't getting the best start in life.
We're quite good friends at work (not away from work) and I don't think she'd take offence at whatever I say as I've been a really helpful source of advice for her on other stuff, even if I do say so myself.

Even her boyfriend continually tells her she needs to stop to no avail.
I feel some folk are so selfish to continue their habit while pregnant but I guess it is none of my business. I've seen more pregnant smokers in the UK than the US, but it still gets my goat. My mum smoked when she had me and all through my childhood and while I have a slight grudge against her for that, it didn't seem to negatively impact my physical abilities.

Anyone else have a view on lassies smoking while 'with child'?
I think it is horrible that women smoke when pregnant but would NEVER say anything to someone unless they were a close relative or best friend. My ex SIL smoked and they were both tiny little things. Research shows many complications related to smoking while pregnant....it can harm mom and baby.

http://health.discovery.com/centers/...y/smoking.html

I'm in the science business and know all the dangers of smoking and what they put in those cancer sticks, but again I would NEVER approach anyone with my info/opinion that wasn't close to me.
tamms_1965 is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:34 am
  #77  
Riding on silver wings
 
ugacrew's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,543
ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Smokers

Originally Posted by Rete
Really? I like my healthcare plan. It is cost effective and efficient for me and my spouse. I have good hospitals, good doctors, no referrals, top healthcare facilities and testing available at will.

However, I am not the majority of Americans who have this luxury and I will not have it much longer and was aware of that many decades ago. I will be without healthcare and without prescription coverage and will be SOL since I will not qualify for medicard or medicaid.

I have never implied that I would not want national healthcare in the US. I object to the term Universal healthcare because I do not think the US is the universe nor that we should provide healthcare to the entire earth's population.

I do believe that the poor people of the US have medicaid and have resources available to them that the majority of middle class people do not have because they have inadequate healthcare insurance and/or none at all. I never implied differently.

You don't care for me nor do you accord me respect for thinking differently from you. That is alright. I understand it is hard to accept differences when you are old and set in your ways
What the hell kind of thinking is that??? You object because of semantics?!? You object to a plan that is NOT for the entire earth's population, as you put it?!? Get real. We already pay out the nose for health care here. We might as well just pool all those funds together (copays, premiums, deductibles) and fund one organization instead of money hungry, greedy, bureaucratic, insurance companies and hospitals that over-inflate health care costs that fill their coffers. No one should ever be asked from a stretcher as they enter an emergency room "Will this be cash, check, or credit?"
ugacrew is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:38 am
  #78  
Septicity
 
fatbrit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 23,762
fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Smokers

Originally Posted by Rete
You don't care for me nor do you accord me respect for thinking differently from you. That is alright. I understand it is hard to accept differences when you are old and set in your ways
Rete! I love you -- totally! You survive on a board where, outside the immigration forums, you really don't have a clue about what's going on. But you bluster in and have your say anyway. It takes guts and it gives a new perspective. Don't take umbrage, please!
fatbrit is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:39 am
  #79  
Queen of my house
 
tamms_1965's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,043
tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Smokers

Originally Posted by Ray
Funny ..so was I ...so where are all the stunted sick people of my generation .
Got a mirror handy?

just playin'
tamms_1965 is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2008, 5:19 am
  #80  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Steerpike's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 13,258
Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Smokers

Originally Posted by Rete
While this "might" be the case for some under some private healthcare programs, it is not the norm. I have had breast cancer and have had absolutely no issues with changing or obtaining medical insurance under a new plan because of that diagnosis.
Rete - if you know something I don't, PLEASE share as this is a very real issue for a very good friend of mine.

The specific issue is Private Insurance - not group insurance. I know that ins.co's cannot deny insurance at the group level due to pre-existing conditions, and that's great. But for private insurance - eg, if you are out of work - I've found it to be the absolute norm, not a 'nuance' of some obscure plan.

If you think that's not correct, please tell me more as my very good friend has had breast cancer and is about to lose her job. Once COBRA runs out, she is going to have to go with private insurance and as of now, cannot find anyone willing to touch her. She's about 53 years old.
Steerpike is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:04 am
  #81  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 46,463
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Smokers

Originally Posted by ugacrew
What the hell kind of thinking is that??? You object because of semantics?!? You object to a plan that is NOT for the entire earth's population, as you put it?!? Get real. We already pay out the nose for health care here. We might as well just pool all those funds together (copays, premiums, deductibles) and fund one organization instead of money hungry, greedy, bureaucratic, insurance companies and hospitals that over-inflate health care costs that fill their coffers. No one should ever be asked from a stretcher as they enter an emergency room "Will this be cash, check, or credit?"
What are you going on about girl???????

I don't object to the premise of national healthcare and think we need it. I don't like it being called universal healthcare but prefer the term national. Do you call your NHS "universal"? Of course not.

So you get real and/or learn to read.

BTW I don't pay out the ears for healthcare. My fee for good healthcare at the present moment is only $20 a month and another $6.95 for dental. My co-pays are $20 a visit and my prescription co-pay depends on the drug prescribed. Last night's pickup was $20 for one and $50 for the other.
Rete is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:09 am
  #82  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 46,463
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Smokers

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Rete! I love you -- totally! You survive on a board where, outside the immigration forums, you really don't have a clue about what's going on. But you bluster in and have your say anyway. It takes guts and it gives a new perspective. Don't take umbrage, please!

Yes, sir. I'll be quiet, sir. I'll stand in the corner, sir, til ya tell me to move, sir. Just don't hit me to hard, sir.
Rete is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:12 am
  #83  
Riding on silver wings
 
ugacrew's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,543
ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Smokers

Originally Posted by Rete
What are you going on about girl???????

I don't object to the premise of national healthcare and think we need it. I don't like it being called universal healthcare but prefer the term national. Do you call your NHS "universal"? Of course not.

So you get real and/or learn to read.

BTW I don't pay out the ears for healthcare. My fee for good healthcare at the present moment is only $20 a month and another $6.95 for dental. My co-pays are $20 a visit and my prescription co-pay depends on the drug prescribed. Last night's pickup was $20 for one and $50 for the other.
I'm an American born and raised. I don't mind the title as long as we have something. They could call it Willy Wonka's Chocolate Health Care Plan and I'd be happy.
ugacrew is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:13 am
  #84  
Queen of my house
 
tamms_1965's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,043
tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Smokers

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Rete! I love you -- totally! You survive on a board where, outside the immigration forums, you really don't have a clue about what's going on. But you bluster in and have your say anyway. It takes guts and it gives a new perspective. Don't take umbrage, please!
I'm glad my grandpa wasn't like you.
tamms_1965 is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:17 am
  #85  
BE Forum Addict
 
chicagojlo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Lake County IL
Posts: 1,953
chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Smokers

You know universal doesn't have to mean the universe! I think it is used because of all the nationalities here in this country. Using the word national would perhaps imply that those who are not nationals themselves would be excluded. I don't know.

As for quitting smoking, I also quit and yes it was hard. But not as hard as it would be to see my sick child knowing it's my fault. Learning to drive was hard but I did it. Running a marathon was hard but I did it. And neither of those things had anywhere near the significance of my child's health. I myself also get cravings for the odd ciggie here and there, even after 5 years. Then I see my 4 year old and I remember why I don't smoke.
chicagojlo is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:19 am
  #86  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 46,463
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Smokers

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Rete - if you know something I don't, PLEASE share as this is a very real issue for a very good friend of mine.

The specific issue is Private Insurance - not group insurance. I know that ins.co's cannot deny insurance at the group level due to pre-existing conditions, and that's great. But for private insurance - eg, if you are out of work - I've found it to be the absolute norm, not a 'nuance' of some obscure plan.

If you think that's not correct, please tell me more as my very good friend has had breast cancer and is about to lose her job. Once COBRA runs out, she is going to have to go with private insurance and as of now, cannot find anyone willing to touch her. She's about 53 years old.

Private insurance is different from group insurance. My daughter was covered under Cobra a few years ago and was able to extend the coverage period for an additional year before she converted it to private healthcare. Have her check with the carrier.

I'm assuming your friend is still battling the breast cancer, i.e. chemo and/or radiation. Have her look into getting social security diability so that she would automatically qualify for medicaid. (Think that is what it is called.) Also most states have state funded healthcare programs for those that cannot get healthcare. She might qualify for that.
Rete is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:21 am
  #87  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 46,463
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Smokers

Originally Posted by ugacrew
I'm an American born and raised. I don't mind the title as long as we have something. They could call it Willy Wonka's Chocolate Health Care Plan and I'd be happy.

Can't have that ... too many diabetics and fat people in the US.
Rete is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:23 am
  #88  
Septicity
 
fatbrit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 23,762
fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Smokers

Originally Posted by Rete
Yes, sir. I'll be quiet, sir. I'll stand in the corner, sir, til ya tell me to move, sir. Just don't hit me to hard, sir.
Now I never would have guessed you were into that sort of thing, Rete. Sometimes you surprise me.
fatbrit is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:23 am
  #89  
Septicity
 
fatbrit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 23,762
fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Smokers

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I'm glad my grandpa wasn't like you.
I thought you weren't speaking to me?
fatbrit is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:28 am
  #90  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 41,518
Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Smokers

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
You know universal doesn't have to mean the universe! I think it is used because of all the nationalities here in this country. Using the word national would perhaps imply that those who are not nationals themselves would be excluded. I don't know.

As for quitting smoking, I also quit and yes it was hard. But not as hard as it would be to see my sick child knowing it's my fault. Learning to drive was hard but I did it. Running a marathon was hard but I did it. And neither of those things had anywhere near the significance of my child's health. I myself also get cravings for the odd ciggie here and there, even after 5 years. Then I see my 4 year old and I remember why I don't smoke.
I think it just means everyone, like 'universal suffrage' = votes for everyone in the country.
Sally Redux is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.