Pregnant Smokers

Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Smokers

Originally Posted by Ray
Funny ..so was I ...so where are all the stunted sick people of my generation .
My MIL and FIL are probably about your age. Believe me when I tell you they are stunted and sick!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:43 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
My MIL and FIL are probably about your age. Believe me when I tell you they are stunted and sick!
And that is their right ....
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

I have read that it is harder for women to quit smoking than men but I still don't understand how a woman could smoke when she is pregnant. Even most smokers (in the US at least) seem to realise it is disgusting and smoke outside or in their own garages, if it stains your walls and makes your couch smell it must do worse to an unborn child. (I am not saying unborn children have walls or couches in there either)
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:04 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Holy Crap! Just because your kids didn't have problems doesn't mean problems aren't statistically more likely. And the fact your youngest smokes may be influenced by the fact that you (presumably) smoked when she was young.

I know some people who drink and drive and don't get into accidents (yet). Does that mean it's OK to drink and drive?

I would support higher medical premiums for smokers. That may be the best way to deal with it.

Not just my kids, but just about all kids born to parents of my generation. I do not know of one child born of my many friends and family who were born with disabilities or incurred future health problems because their mothers and/or fathers smoked or drank moderately.

My kids are 36 and 39 and neither have asthma or any other health issues. Nor does my niece or nephew and they both are athletes.

I'm not saying that all children of smokers were born healthy, but that the stats are not reliable simply because a lot of health issues can be traced to other causes, genetic, environmental, etc. and not just to a parent having smoked when pregnant.

I agree that smoking is not a healthy thing to do
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I think that it's selfish to smoke whilst pregnant - and being a parent means putting your child rather than yourself first.

I've got two children - the first was unplanned and I was a 20 a day smoker when I conceived her and had been for years. As soon as I found out I gave up. There simply wasn't a choice as far as I was concerned and it was something I made myself do no matter how hard it was. I still miss it and would kill for a ciggie sometimes!

Just my opinion and my experience though.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
I have read that it is harder for women to quit smoking than men but I still don't understand how a woman could smoke when she is pregnant. Even most smokers (in the US at least) seem to realise it is disgusting and smoke outside or in their own garages, if it stains your walls and makes your couch smell it must do worse to an unborn child. (I am not saying unborn children have walls or couches in there either)
You pro-choice?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I should point out that I used to smoke myself, 10 a day, but gave up before trying to get pregnant. If I think of the damage that 10 did to my body, I can only imagine what it does to a fetus.
I understand that it's more likely to cause a problem with the placenta, which in turn can impact on the fetus.

My mum smoked the whole way through - didn't harm either of us.

(I'd rather that people didn't smoke during pregnancy, but it is their informed decision to make.)
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:34 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Re: Pregnant Smokers

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
A gal I work beside is due to give birth at the end of April but I've found out that she still smokes. I know it's not my place to say anything but I hate the thought that her unborn daughter isn't getting the best start in life.
We're quite good friends at work (not away from work) and I don't think she'd take offence at whatever I say as I've been a really helpful source of advice for her on other stuff, even if I do say so myself.

Even her boyfriend continually tells her she needs to stop to no avail.
I feel some folk are so selfish to continue their habit while pregnant but I guess it is none of my business. I've seen more pregnant smokers in the UK than the US, but it still gets my goat. My mum smoked when she had me and all through my childhood and while I have a slight grudge against her for that, it didn't seem to negatively impact my physical abilities.

Anyone else have a view on lassies smoking while 'with child'?
Sounds like the child will have a good chance of suffering from asthma or other similar ailment. I imagine the child will be premature and may need help from the moment its born.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
Sounds like the child will have a good chance of suffering from asthma or other similar ailment. I imagine the child will be premature and may need help from the moment its born.
You imagine? Indeed.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by basementwaj
You pro-choice?
In relation to smoking or abortion?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:00 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

I hate to see pregnant women smoke also...but are these risks of asthma and stunted growth and premature births really so great that they are worse option than the baby also going through nicotine withdrawl symtoms with it's mother?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
A gal I work beside is due to give birth at the end of April but I've found out that she still smokes. I know it's not my place to say anything but I hate the thought that her unborn daughter isn't getting the best start in life.
We're quite good friends at work (not away from work) and I don't think she'd take offence at whatever I say as I've been a really helpful source of advice for her on other stuff, even if I do say so myself.

Even her boyfriend continually tells her she needs to stop to no avail.
I feel some folk are so selfish to continue their habit while pregnant but I guess it is none of my business. I've seen more pregnant smokers in the UK than the US, but it still gets my goat. My mum smoked when she had me and all through my childhood and while I have a slight grudge against her for that, it didn't seem to negatively impact my physical abilities.

Anyone else have a view on lassies smoking while 'with child'?
Its none of your business to moralise over others behaviour. And as you said so yourself your own mother smoked with you and you ended up fine. What gives you the right to tell others how to behave? As the americans say I think you should butt out! Would you have a go at her if she ate blue cheese or drank too much caffeine or pop? Or breathed air that was full of car pollution even?
Personally I wouldnt sanction her behaviour but its her business and right to do as she sees fit, not yours!

Last edited by Adnams; Jan 24th 2008 at 10:04 am.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:20 am
redneck scouser

andie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond repute

I had a friend back in the UK that smoked since she was 13, she's now 30, and she smoked all the way through her pregnancy with my god son. He turned out ok apart from being a little brat, but I must admit I didn't agree with it at the time, she also continued to drink, although she did cut back to half lagers instead of brandy and cokes!

Also, my mum is disgusted by smokers in general, always has been, and has even walked out of restaurants if people have been smoking near her. BUT when she was pregnant with me, she took up smoking cigars!!! Luckily I turned out ok too.....I think lol.

And I'm 8 months pregnant right now, and I don't smoke or drink by choice, and I won't go anywhere there are smokers. Why take the risk?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:29 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I smoked with both pregnancies and my babies were good weights and had no health issues. In fact my youngest who is due in August smokes 3 to 4 half cigs a day and her ob-gny told her not to obsess about stoping. That amount will not cause any harm to the fetus.

Personally, your views are just that ... yours. Keep them to youself. She is fully aware of all the health warnings.
Just 'cos your two children appear to be healthy and you smoked through both pregnancies doesn't making smoking during pregnancy (or immediately prior to conception or even after birth) OK!

There is too much evidence in medical literature to back up that smoking during pregnancy is not good for the fetus (nor the mother, even if she weren't pregnant).

By the way, I may disagree with your views but I am not against you airing them. You are entitled to hold your views even though I think you're mistaken.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:32 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts on smoking during pregnancy are this. Why go through the 9 month gestation period if you're not going to aim to give birth to the most healthiest child? Smoking is one risk factor that the mother-to-be can definitely control.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.