Pregnant Smokers

Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:15 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant Smokers

I have a couple of friends that found out they were pregnant unexpectedly, both smokers. They knew very well that they shouldn't smoke while pregnant but they weren't (mentally) ready to give it up, and the more people told them to stop the more they would smoke. When we can't have something we want it even more, it's just human nature..

Those of you that see very clearly that pregnant women should just stop smoking have obviously never smoked and aren't aware of how hard it is to give it up..
Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:18 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by anabella
I have a couple of friends that found out they were pregnant unexpectedly, both smokers. They knew very well that they shouldn't smoke while pregnant but they weren't (mentally) ready to give it up, and the more people told them to stop the more they would smoke. When we can't have something we want it even more, it's just human nature..
You cannot have my body!!!!!
Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:26 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
You cannot have my body!!!!!
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:03 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

This thread got me thinking about the Royle Family dont know if anyone remembers the episode where denise is praised for not smoking in front of the baby, her quote

"I'm only not smoking in front of Baby David until he's old enough to get up and walk out of the room, then it's his choice."
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:44 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
that may be and is the case, but the OP's question was whether she should say something.
Say nothing - just walk up and punch her in the stomach - same as what the mum to be is doing to her kid - and let's face it - the punch may not cause any harm - just like her smoking, so we'd all be ok then.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Those of you that see very clearly that pregnant women should just stop smoking have obviously never smoked and aren't aware of how hard it is to give it up..
Yes I actually did smoke and yes I actually am aware of how hard it is to give up. I'm also the parent of a 4 year old and she is the number one reason why I haven't smoked a single cigarette in over 5 years.

And for anyone who's interested, nicotine takes 3-4 days to leave your system. It is the mental addiction that takes the time to quit.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
This thread got me thinking about the Royle Family dont know if anyone remembers the episode where denise is praised for not smoking in front of the baby, her quote

"I'm only not smoking in front of Baby David until he's old enough to get up and walk out of the room, then it's his choice."
Love that show
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:00 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

After reading this thread, I've firmly resolved to give up smoking as soon as I get pregnant.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit
After reading this thread, I've firmly resolved to give up smoking as soon as I get pregnant.
Good boy
Old Jan 25th 2008, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You're an air traffic controller and you have heart disease? Piss off!
You're a teacher and you have a nervous breakdown? Piss off!
You ate McDonalds all your 20 years of life and now you've got diabetes? Piss off!
You worked in a cubicle farm with a keyboard and now you've got carpal tunnel? Piss off!

It's a slippery slope. I wouldn't even start on it if I were you!
Agree.

Like I said, I don't like the idea, but I like pre-existing condition treatment by insurance co's even less! Treated for depression 10 years ago? Piss off! Breast Cancer 15 years ago? Piss off! How did they ever get away with that ...
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I smoked for 15 years until I gave it up last year. Having given it up, and seeing how EASY it is when you want to stop, makes me even more disgusted to see pregnant women smoking. Informed choice of an adult is one thing - imposing it on a helpless baby is another. Ugh.

Having said that, I'd probably give them a dirty look, but I wouldn't say anything.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
I smoked for 15 years until I gave it up last year. Having given it up, and seeing how EASY it is when you want to stop, makes me even more disgusted to see pregnant women smoking. Informed choice of an adult is one thing - imposing it on a helpless baby is another. Ugh.

Having said that, I'd probably give them a dirty look, but I wouldn't say anything.

And that is a very narcisistic and judgmental attitude. It was EASY for you, therefore, it must be easy for everyone who has a desire to stop smoking. Because it was EASY for you to smoke, therefore, smokers are worthy of your distain.

Tolerance level - Zero.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

FTR, I have been a smoker since the age of 16. That means I have 44 years of smoking under my belt. It is not easy to stop smoking. It is a habit, plain and simple. You are over the withdrawal symptoms within 48-72 hours of your last cigarette. You are not over the withdrawal symptoms of the habit until the day you die. There is nothing whatsoever easy about quitting.

Anyone who tells you differently is lying to themselves. Join my non-smoking group online to read how people who are years into their quit still have cravings for the physical habit of smoking. Not for the drug, nicotine, but for the habit itself.

As of today I have 3 months and 2 weeks and 3 days into my last quit. So far so good. However, the craving for the act of smoking is still there and hits at the oddest times and it takes super willpower not to walk into any store and buy a pack. So I'm walking in those shoes and while augigi might have been wearing light weight sneakers on her quit path, I'm wearing leadlined boots.

BTW hubby is on year 9 of his quit and to this day, he still craves a cig every once in a while.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:14 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Agree.

Like I said, I don't like the idea, but I like pre-existing condition treatment by insurance co's even less! Treated for depression 10 years ago? Piss off! Breast Cancer 15 years ago? Piss off! How did they ever get away with that ...

While this "might" be the case for some under some private healthcare programs, it is not the norm. I have had breast cancer and have had absolutely no issues with changing or obtaining medical insurance under a new plan because of that diagnosis.

I love how people latch onto "stats" and think they are the bible for how things are. Stats are limited and do not take into account the entire population, etc. They are usually based on certain groups of people.

For health concerns, they advise that there "might" be a health issue if you live near x, y or z or if you use a, b or c or if your family history is 1, 2 or 3. They normally do not take all three criteria into account for a entire base for their statistical chart.

Case in point: Coffee is good for you. Opps sorry medical experts now say Coffee is bad for you. Yikes, sorry we goofed, drink coffee there is no harm in doing so.

I work with a young woman who has never smoked a day in her life nor has her husband. Neither of them have asthma either and yet all three of their children do. Why?

While there are inherent risks involved to your health and the health of your unborn fetus, that risk can come from the environment and your genes as much as from what your lifestyle habits are.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi

im with you..
i used to smoke, and one day decided to stop.. that was it, not smoked since.
Of course that day was today and im about to start again.....

Actually, i stopped 4 years ago. It really was as simple as not lighting up. It just takes will power. So if a woman says its too hard to stop smoking during preganancy, its not the nicotine addiction thats stopping her from quitting..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.