Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Pregnant and returning to the UK

Pregnant and returning to the UK

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 11:20 am
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant and returning to the UK

oooh! you are also entitled to a FREE ,yes FREE (lothian lad) HOMEBIRTH!!!
in australia is costs about $5000, and you get very well looked after with two midwives in the uk too!
i could definately recommend their service...i think devon's homebirth rate is around 9%, not sure about cornwall....
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 11:41 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocciecake
absolutely!

AND incase you don't know lothianlad, australia has a recipricol agreement with healthcare for british citizens, so brits are looked after in aus at the oz tax payers expense! so what!!!! and that would include you, if you lived in oz!
she absolutely has a right to medical care!
AND i think she should also check out the maternity benefits too, while she is at it, as she may just qualify for maternity allowance, if she has 26 out of the 66 weeks test period of national insurance contributions!
so there lothian lad...
anyone else think of what she may qualify for, just to tick him off???
if i think of any other "freebies" you can get, i'll BE SURE to let you know...

i think that was a very rude comment to make actually lothianlad!!!
very rude!
Prescriptions??

Oh and free podiatry for all and sundry LOL!! I got that free for my bunion and I am not even pregnant or likely to be EVER again shock horror!!
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 11:49 am
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Prescriptions??

Oh and free podiatry for all and sundry LOL!! I got that free for my bunion and I am not even pregnant or likely to be EVER again shock horror!!
yes, and i even got FREE cranial osteopathy while pregnant, and for 6 months following, at the foundation for pediatric ostepathy in london!!!
and boy, did it help!
kids can be treated free up to 18 yrs as well!

http://www.fpo.org.uk/Secondary/Misc/maps.html
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 12:11 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

yes, and i even got FREE cranial osteopathy while pregnant, and for 6 months following, at the foundation for pediatric ostepathy in london!!!
and boy, did it help!

AND if you join a quit smoking clinic like I did you get about a hundred quids worth of patches and lozenges for 6 weeks, the 2 prescriptions are 7 quid each a pop........and apparently if you live in Wales it is FREE.........
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 12:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I look at the NHS like an insurance policy. You can make a claim whether you paid your first premium yesterday, or have been paying for 30 years. So, if you move back to pursue residence today, you are eligible for free treatment today, just like any resident.

I don't buy into the rationale of having paid taxes for 20 years making a current expat eligible, though. If you aren't a taxpaying resident at the moment, you aren't eligible for free routine treatment at the moment. If I stopped paying for car insurance today and had an accident tomorrow, why should I be covered, even if I have 30 years no-claims (which is the case)?

So don't get me started on expat "NHS tourists", and people who take free NHS treatment for self-inflicted illnesses and injuries (try visiting Glasgow Royal Informary on a Friday night for example).
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough

AND if you join a quit smoking clinic like I did you get about a hundred quids worth of patches and lozenges for 6 weeks, the 2 prescriptions are 7 quid each a pop........and apparently if you live in Wales it is FREE.........
And also you get a FREE membership to the gym if you quit smoking too
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 12:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimandken
And also you get a FREE membership to the gym if you quit smoking too
Why is that? I don't understand why former smokers receive a benefit that non-smokers don't get.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dunroving
Why is that? I don't understand why former smokers receive a benefit that non-smokers don't get.
No idea why, but if you want you can start smoking then you can benefit too
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:33 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yes it does seem a bit unfair and now explains to me why my brother has suddenly joined a gym!!

One way of looking at it is that smokers pay an ENORMOUS amount of duty on their cigs and that's all money in the pot for the Government, maybe they are getting a fraction back of their contribution.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes it does seem a bit unfair and now explains to me why my brother has suddenly joined a gym!!

One way of looking at it is that smokers pay an ENORMOUS amount of duty on their cigs and that's all money in the pot for the Government, maybe they are getting a fraction back of their contribution.
About friggin time
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:20 pm
Home Sweet Home

oooh! you are also entitled to a FREE ,yes FREE (lothian lad) HOMEBIRTH!!!
in australia is costs about $5000, and you get very well looked after with two midwives in the uk too!
i could definately recommend their service...i think devon's homebirth rate is around 9%, not sure about cornwall....
Wow didn't know you had to pay for homebirths in Australia!!!

That's weird really because you must surely be saving the Government money by being in your own bed, not a hospital bed???
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:21 pm
Home Sweet Home

About friggin time
Well people whinge about smokers but I bet if we didn't pay the duty we do the coffers would be empty pretty damn quick then they would REALLY have summit to whinge about!!
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
On the benefit front I guess be prepared for moving goalposts.
There have been many headline changes. I am currently waiting to hear if I can get any help. (Tax credit etc) I've done my time paying some decent tax returns and not claimed anything until now. Just after the helping hand that the system is mean to provide.
Also hoping that my plans going forward come to fruition and I become ineligible again!

I have no qualms about making the claim. I don't think anyone should. If you're in need of the help and it's there........
I don't expect to get any benefits but I'm very happy that the kids will get free prescriptions and doctors visits, at the moment we get free visits until they're 5. I have to pay half of mine so its $30 a time out of my pocket which is around 20 GBP a go and my meds for morning sickness costs me 60 GBP a week, so it'll be good not to have to spend that much!

Hope you hear some good news from tax credits, I think we may get something off that towards helping for daycare which will be great. We won't be eligible for family allowance since the new rules came into place, but we don't get that here so I don't miss it...
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

I totally agree with you and very well said.

All the best back in the UK & with the birth

Kim
Thanks for that link its got heaps of useful info there!
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

and boy, did it help!

LOL you guys are too funny!!! I love it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.