Postcards from England

Old Nov 25th 2010, 10:17 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Postcards from England

Wow Karim, thank you so much for some stunning photographs, Britain at it's Best indeed.

I have taken photo's like yours in Bath, York and Lladuddno (sp?) from my time there last year, but they are nowhere near as professional or visually beautiful as yours. I loved the photos of Evesham and have never even heard of this Cherry Blossom tour. I am definitely going to be visiting The Cotswolds next year.

Thanks once again for sharing and making me happy and excited today that going home is the right decision for me.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Postcards from England

Welcome to Warwick Castle ( 23/06/10 )

Britain's Ultimate Castle ! Quite a statement indeed !

I first visited Warwick Castle on a cold January afternoon and although I could appreciate the sheer size and medieval magnificence of the Castle, I saw virtually nothing of its grounds still under the spell of winter.

So when I revisited the place this year in late June, it was with a totally opened mind and I decided to walk to the Castle fron the town that bears its name.

Warwick is a pretty town filled with manicured gardens and picturesque black and white buildings which offers a nice selection of restaurants and tearooms.
I accessed the Castle from the Gate located just a stone thrown away from the High St through delightful back gardens in bloom and discovered the delightful Thomas Oken Tearoom, an old black & white building which serves a delicious blend of teas and homemade cakes in a tea set which would not be out of place in a novel of Lewis Caroll. A must when visiting Warwick

From the moment I was greeted by the flying standards of the Bear Tower Gate, entered the Central Courtyard where knights were fighting in armour, climbed to the top of the ramparts to have almost an aerial view of the Castle and its grounds, met the Victorians of the Royal Week-End recreation throughout the magnificent appartments, discovered the Art of Falconary with live eagles, entered the delightful Orangerie Gardens with their flying peacocks - I did not know until now that they could fly at all - not to forget the enormous Trebuchet Machine in action by the river, the water mill with its ingenious Victorian machinery and finally spent an hour in the exquisite Victorian Rose Garden discussing the cultivation of old roses, I can say with confidence that my visit to Warwick Castle was a pure enchantment.

I have tried to capture the different atmospheres and "colors" of my day in the following pictures...

View of the Bear Tower

Actor posing at the entrance of the Central Courtyard

Flying Standard in the Central Courtyard

View of the Castle from the Ramparts

View of the Castle from the top of the Ramparts

Karim
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond repute

View of the River Avon

Caesar's Tower viewed from the Central Courtyard

Knights fighting in the Central Courtyard

Still a long way to become a Knight

Royal Week-End Party Exhibition

Karim
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by victorian67
Welcome to Warwick Castle ( 23/06/10 )

Britain's Ultimate Castle ! Quite a statement indeed !

I first visited Warwick Castle on a cold January afternoon and although I could appreciate the sheer size and medieval magnificence of the Castle, I saw virtually nothing of its grounds still under the spell of winter.

So when I revisited the place this year in late June, it was with a totally opened mind and I decided to walk to the Castle fron the town that bears its name.

Warwick is a pretty town filled with manicured gardens and picturesque black and white buildings which offers a nice selection of restaurants and tearooms.
I accessed the Castle from the Gate located just a stone thrown away from the High St through delightful back gardens in bloom and discovered the delightful Thomas Oken Tearoom, an old black & white building which serves a delicious blend of teas and homemade cakes in a tea set which would not be out of place in a novel of Lewis Caroll. A must when visiting Warwick

From the moment I was greeted by the flying standards of the Bear Tower Gate, entered the Central Courtyard where knights were fighting in armour, climbed to the top of the ramparts to have almost an aerial view of the Castle and its grounds, met the Victorians of the Royal Week-End recreation throughout the magnificent appartments, discovered the Art of Falconary with live eagles, entered the delightful Orangerie Gardens with their flying peacocks - I did not know until now that they could fly at all - not to forget the enormous Trebuchet Machine in action by the river, the water mill with its ingenious Victorian machinery and finally spent an hour in the exquisite Victorian Rose Garden discussing the cultivation of old roses, I can say with confidence that my visit to Warwick Castle was a pure enchantment.

I have tried to capture the different atmospheres and "colors" of my day in the following pictures...

View of the Bear Tower

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/5463211bmp.png

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/5246192jpg.jpg

Flying Standard in the Central Courtyard

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/3900523bmp.png

View of the Castle from the Ramparts

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/3133974bmp.png

View of the Castle from the top of the Ramparts

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/6393875bmp.png

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/9062016jpg.jpg

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/3053797jpg.jpg

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/8347008bmp.png

Karim
Wonderful pictures of a magical place..thank you..
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Royal Week-End Party Exhibition

Actors & Armors in the Great Hall

Karim
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Falconry Show on the Oak Tree Lawn

The Orangerie Garden and the truly magical ballet of the Peacocks

Karim
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Orangerie Garden and the truly magical ballet of the Peacocks

A Medieval Camp with Standards

View of the River Avon

Warwick Castle viewed from the River Avon

The exquisite & confidential Victorian Rose Garden in bloom

Karim

Last edited by victorian67; Dec 4th 2010 at 7:49 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Really beautiful!! Thank you SO much for posting these lovely photos and bring home a little closer
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:22 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Really beautiful!! Thank you SO much for posting these lovely photos and bring home a little closer
I agree Windsong, thank you thank you Karim!!
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I agree Windsong, thank you thank you Karim!!
Yes, a huge thank you from me, too, Karim
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you so much for your encouraging comments

Karim
Old Dec 5th 2010, 3:27 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

Loved the Warwick Castle photos - when I went there many years ago we got stuck going down a spiral staircase as somebody below us got claustrophobia & had a panic attack. It was quite dark, cramped & a bit spooky being in the old castle. Since then I've not been keen on spiral staircases myself!

One of my reasons for wanting to return to the UK is so my son can visit loads of castles, ruins, historical sites, etc as I loved doing that when I was young. I'll show him these photos too. I think it's really funny when they have medieval-themed fairs in Australia or America - it's all a mix of historical things from different time periods & seems so phoney & fake. You can't beat the real thing & it's on your doorstep in the UK.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:06 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by JustBecause
Loved the Warwick Castle photos - when I went there many years ago we got stuck going down a spiral staircase as somebody below us got claustrophobia & had a panic attack. It was quite dark, cramped & a bit spooky being in the old castle. Since then I've not been keen on spiral staircases myself!

One of my reasons for wanting to return to the UK is so my son can visit loads of castles, ruins, historical sites, etc as I loved doing that when I was young. I'll show him these photos too. I think it's really funny when they have medieval-themed fairs in Australia or America - it's all a mix of historical things from different time periods & seems so phoney & fake. You can't beat the real thing & it's on your doorstep in the UK.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

I cannot agree more

Karim
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Welcome to the Severn Valley Steam Railway ( 10/07/10 ) !

If you were asking me what my favorite attraction in the UK was, I would certainly list in my top three attractions the Severn Valley Steam Railway which runs from the town of Kidderminster to the town of Bridgnorth.

I discovered it back in 2008 while organizing a week-end around Stratford upon Avon and the Cotswolds with my Friend Christine and our Sunday spent in the Severn Valley Steam enchanted us then and still enchant me now.

So it is with great anticipation that I revisited this almost confidential attraction which is well worth a visit by all steam train enthusiasts and amateurs of unspoiled natural sceneries alike.

As soon as one enters the old fashioned train station of Kidderminster, one steps back in the time when magnificent steam trains were ruling the scenery of England and beyond and the feeling really last throughout the day as one boards the comfortable wagons listening to the whistle of the steam engine.

The Severn Valley Steam Railway runs between Kidderminster and the medieval town of Bridgnorth through 16 miles of unspoiled beautiful English countryside including the stunning Victoria Bridge and is punctuated with the prettiest little train stations one can possibly see most of them straight out of a picture book with hanging baskets overflowing with colorful flowers.

The medieval town of Bridgnorth accessible through a funicular host a busy market and offers the Visitor a great variety of restaurants, pubs and tearooms in beautiful balck and white buildings.

The fact that the Severn Valley Steam Railway is mostly run by 200 unpaid volunteers who pride themselves on maintaining the tracks, buildings and rolling material brings authenticity to an experience which is everything but a fake recreation.

The Smiles, simplicity and knowledge of real People will greet you everywhere whether you are looking for a facility or wish to discuss the Golden Age of Steam Trains.

Those who remember my visit to York’s National Railway Museum earlier this year know how much of a train enthusiast I am and the Severn Valley Steam Train keeps enchanting my senses.

The following pictures will take you on my journey as I was stepping back in time in the Golden Age of Steam Trains…

Karim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.