Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Post Secondary Education Costs in England?

Post Secondary Education Costs in England?

Old Jul 27th 2007, 11:13 am
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of
Default Post Secondary Education Costs in England?

Canada charges for University, starting at $5,000 for Undergrad per annum, to $20,000 for Grad or Professional Programs..

Does England charge for Medical or Lawyer education, does it charge for basic BA Under Grad Programs, or does the State pay for it all as long as you gain Academic Admittance??
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:23 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post Secondary Education Costs in England?

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Canada charges for University, starting at $5,000 for Undergrad per annum, to $20,000 for Grad or Professional Programs..

Does England charge for Medical or Lawyer education, does it charge for basic BA Under Grad Programs, or does the State pay for it all as long as you gain Academic Admittance??
You have to pay for it yourself now but you can get student loans from local LEAs to cover the cost. The loan has to be repaid once you start earning over 15K. Try looking at the Uni websites as they usually have all the info on fees/bursaries/finances etc.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 1:54 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK fees vary between different institutions (I think there is a basic uniform fee, but some institutions are able to charge a "top-up" fee - i.e. a premium - for various reasons.)

There are two levels, UK resident and non-resident. For a regular graduate student, its about 3000 pounds a year (tuition fee) for a UK resident and about 9500 pounds a year for a non resident.

To qualify as a resident, you have to have lived in the UK for a minimum of three years before entering the program... in other words, if you live in the UK for a year paying the non-resident rate as a fulltime student, that year does not count towards the residency requirement.

This is pretty bad news for expats who would like their children to go to college or grad school in the UK, since we have to pay the non-resident rate even though our kids are UK citizens.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 2:05 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Was there not a time when University was Free??
Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:39 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Howard - a uni education in the UK DID used to be free (the student grant was means tested on parents income) - when I went to uni (1986) my parents did not earn an awful lot so I got a 'full grant' which paid for ALL my tuition fees AND ALL my accomodation fees in halls of residence - however the year I finished uni (1989 - blimey I'm old!!!) was coincidently the last year of the 'full grant' - thereafter the grant reduced and reduced to nothing and that's where we are today!! (Better still we had a heavily subsidised student union bar where Stella and black was 80p a pint - great days, such great days!!............)

Still think it is cheaper to put kids through uni here than it is say in the States (correct me if I'm wrong US dwellers??)
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:13 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

the year I finished uni (1989 - blimey I'm old!!!) was coincidently the last year of the 'full grant' - thereafter the grant reduced and reduced to nothing and that's where we are today!! (Better still we had a heavily subsidised student union bar where Stella and black was 80p a pint - great days, such great days!!............)
You call that old??? a pint of bitter was 1/9d in the pub, when I went to university, and even cheaper at the student union.

I think the grant levels of those days were a bit over the top; I remember that it really was true, that a student on a grant could enjoy a better standard of living than someone who left school at 16 or 18 and got a full-time job. Many people did not even get a job in the summer, there was no need.

Still think it is cheaper to put kids through uni here than it is say in the States (correct me if I'm wrong US dwellers??)
My son just finished his undergraduate degree here in the US, and the annual cost in his final year (tuition, fees, plus room and board on campus) came to about 44,000 USD. Given the stronger dollar of a couple of years ago, that's a lot of money. But, most US parents are able to put together a package of scholarships, grants and government-subsidised loans that reduce this burden considerably.

Robin
Old Jul 27th 2007, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

gettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant future

some courses are "free" and in fact attract a bursary, nursing, midwifery and mnore recently social work. In Scotland there are no fees. But as an overseas student you would have to pay the full "going rate", may seem unfair but if there has been no income tax contibutions then I spose it gives some sort of a level playing field, alternatively you could go for habitual residence" which means being being a UK Citizen who has resided on the UK for the last 26 weeks.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

ruthmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gettingthere
some courses are "free" and in fact attract a bursary, nursing, midwifery and mnore recently social work. In Scotland there are no fees. But as an overseas student you would have to pay the full "going rate", may seem unfair but if there has been no income tax contibutions then I spose it gives some sort of a level playing field, alternatively you could go for habitual residence" which means being being a UK Citizen who has resided on the UK for the last 26 weeks.
But only for Scottish students.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

gettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant future

true thing i was unclear in my reply! thanks for clarifying that
Old Jul 28th 2007, 3:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it used to be free...in fact the government used to pay students in the form of a grant to assist in covering living expenses.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

As gettingthere said some medical courses are free.

Although she was referring to Scottish uni it is the same in England.

Nursing/midwifery are paid for by the NHS but training to be a doctor is not.

I am just about to embark on a degree in nursing at no cost to me.

A bursary on the nursing/midwifery diploma is around £5,600 and for degree it is means tested.

As stated however you do need to have been resident for a min of 3 years.

I think most people pay around £3500 per year towards courses but I may be wrong.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Good luck woth the nursing where are you going to be studying? I did mine at York

Originally Posted by loopylorns
As gettingthere said some medical courses are free.

Although she was referring to Scottish uni it is the same in England.

Nursing/midwifery are paid for by the NHS but training to be a doctor is not.

I am just about to embark on a degree in nursing at no cost to me.

A bursary on the nursing/midwifery diploma is around £5,600 and for degree it is means tested.

As stated however you do need to have been resident for a min of 3 years.

I think most people pay around £3500 per year towards courses but I may be wrong.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

misterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nice

Deleted as updated info below.

Last edited by misterjingo; Aug 14th 2007 at 4:38 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

misterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nicemisterjingo is just really nice

I've just asked my Wife about this and she says that doing a Nursing degree is means tested, so some years she didn't get any Bursary others she got a few hundred pounds, but all her course fees were paid.
Supposedly doing a nursing diploma is not means tested so such students will get the full bursary.
The nursing degree also allows students to apply for a student loan, this isn't available to diploma students.
My wife also says that if you are eligible for the bursary (and they gave you money) you could claim back travel costs.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by misterjingo
Deleted as updated info below.
i completed nursing 6 years ago got all fees and a bursary and got my travel expenses paid plus an additional allowance for having kids but things may well have change sinece then