Reload this Page >

Possible move back to the UK - education dilemma

Possible move back to the UK - education dilemma

Old Nov 19th 2019, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Canadaherewecome5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible move back to the UK - education dilemma

Hi All,
We are discussing longer term plans. Moved to Ontario 2017. Husbands work OK but may be beneficial financially for us to relocate back in a year or two. We have 3 kids. Eldest Grade 8 heading to high school next year, twins in Grade 5.
Does anyone have any knowledge of how my eldest could study for A levels in the UK without having completed UK GCSE's. He would most likely have just completed Gr 10 in Ontario, half of his OSSD. I've looked into him doing the IB here but as we have to be resident for 3 years to avoid international Uni fees we've ruled that out.
I've looked at so many school/college websites and have no answers. I've also emailed a couple of sixth forms/colleges who have not yet replied. We do not yet know where we might move to so I can't contact any specific institution for a definitive answer.

Should we not even consider the change? Stay here in this education system? Any thoughts would be appreciated
Old Nov 19th 2019, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Honey246 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Possible move back to the UK - education dilemma

When does your oldest turn 16. We came bac k July 2018 and our son turned 16 in the September, . Which allowed him to do final year of GSCE then go onto A levels
Old Nov 19th 2019, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Canadaherewecome5 is an unknown quantity at this point

He's 13 now, would be in Year 9 in the UK. Turns 16 June 2022. Were you in Canada?.... did you move back for the education? Not sure what to do for the best.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Honey246 is an unknown quantity at this point

We were in calgary. Moved back as all family live in uk. We found the school was very good to our son and as he hadn't covered all the subjects in the uk system, he didn't have to do a language for gcse. He did say that it wasn't as hard to do the work as he thought only enlish lit.if you coming back think back doing for the final year of GSCE as it will be easier to get into A levels. If you come back after they are 16 with no gsce marks it might be hard to get into A levels at a school or college.