Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to be a Dual National and be content to live in one country permanent!

Is it possible to be a Dual National and be content to live in one country permanent!

Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it possible to be a Dual National and be content to live in one country permanent!

Hello people.

We left Texas in August, arrived in the UK and so far so good. We're really enjoying getting back all the things we have had to go without for so long after over 5 years in the US. DH and I talk all the time - checking on each other LOL, asking 'how are you finding it?' etc... we are happy with England overall and are thoroughly enjoying villages, country lanes, many favourite foods, walks to the pub, seeing our youngest start school in a smart uniform, feeling close to friends again like we've never been away, furnishing our new home, chatting to people on the street, train rides, some TV shows, popping out to the shops without having to get in the car.... there's more but I think you get the idea. Something that does reoccur is how many British people we have talked to that want to leave Britain and are envious that we have the right to live in the USA.
Our family circumstance have changed enormously since arriving back though. One reason for our return was for our eldest to get into 6th form and do his GCSE's. We secured him a place in a lovely school and he was all set to start his courses but 2 days before he and my DH had a confrontation and he went off for what he told me was an overnight stay to cool off but then called the next day to say he wasn't coming home. For those of you who know me from previous posts, you know we have had a HELLISH year due to our son moving back to the UK ahead of us earlier this year (my god is it really the same year!), and the STRESS STRESS STRESS that my family caused and how our son then returned to us after 10 weeks in Britain, in a state of mind that I can only describe as 'damaged' and how it took us 4 months to get him back to normal and recognisable again. We have been back for 6 weeks and our son has been absent for 3 of those weeks with no intention in moving back to our family home (from what he says) as he has since decided to re-unite with his biological 'sperm donar' (sorry, I can not call his natural father his 'dad' because he has been completely absent, has hurt our son in the past and has not paid a penny in child support by avading the system - I have a friend that works for the CSA but it seems that now I can finally make a claim, my son leaving now cancels that option - anyway, it's not even about the money and I digress.... I'm good at that!) He has reunited with his 'dad' and not told me this himself ( i saw the pics on his myspace which was nice!!), anyway.... to say we are going through some tough 'teen' times is an understatement.
So back to the title.... Is it possible to be a Dual National and be content to live in one country permanent!

I'm starting to think that we will never be able to fully settle in one country. I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing, I'm just curious about others in the same position as us with UK and US cit'ship. How do you get your head around having this choice of where to live? How do you choose a first and second place - or maybe you don't? We are starting to think we need to have a property in both and then comes the big decision.... which one is better to raise and educate our 2 younger children (age 4 and 1). We can work in either so it's not an employment issue nor is it an extended family issue really. Our son will do as he pleases and he know's we are there for him wherever on the globe we are (I just need him to follow his heart for a while and do all the searching he needs to do, get a girlfriend and get to 20 - 25 as quickly as possible!!!!)
Is having the dual national option a blessing or a curse?
Old Oct 4th 2009, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to be a Dual National and be content to live in one country perman

Should I have posted this in the USA forum do you think?
Old Oct 4th 2009, 10:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to be a Dual National and be content to live in one country perman

Expats curse?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

Location: Lancashire - Vic, Oz - hopefully Yorkshire or Devon
Basil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
Hello people.

We left Texas in August, arrived in the UK and so far so good. We're really enjoying getting back all the things we have had to go without for so long after over 5 years in the US. DH and I talk all the time - checking on each other LOL, asking 'how are you finding it?' etc... we are happy with England overall and are thoroughly enjoying villages, country lanes, many favourite foods, walks to the pub, seeing our youngest start school in a smart uniform, feeling close to friends again like we've never been away, furnishing our new home, chatting to people on the street, train rides, some TV shows, popping out to the shops without having to get in the car.... there's more but I think you get the idea. Something that does reoccur is how many British people we have talked to that want to leave Britain and are envious that we have the right to live in the USA.
Our family circumstance have changed enormously since arriving back though. One reason for our return was for our eldest to get into 6th form and do his GCSE's. We secured him a place in a lovely school and he was all set to start his courses but 2 days before he and my DH had a confrontation and he went off for what he told me was an overnight stay to cool off but then called the next day to say he wasn't coming home. For those of you who know me from previous posts, you know we have had a HELLISH year due to our son moving back to the UK ahead of us earlier this year (my god is it really the same year!), and the STRESS STRESS STRESS that my family caused and how our son then returned to us after 10 weeks in Britain, in a state of mind that I can only describe as 'damaged' and how it took us 4 months to get him back to normal and recognisable again. We have been back for 6 weeks and our son has been absent for 3 of those weeks with no intention in moving back to our family home (from what he says) as he has since decided to re-unite with his biological 'sperm donar' (sorry, I can not call his natural father his 'dad' because he has been completely absent, has hurt our son in the past and has not paid a penny in child support by avading the system - I have a friend that works for the CSA but it seems that now I can finally make a claim, my son leaving now cancels that option - anyway, it's not even about the money and I digress.... I'm good at that!) He has reunited with his 'dad' and not told me this himself ( i saw the pics on his myspace which was nice!!), anyway.... to say we are going through some tough 'teen' times is an understatement.
So back to the title.... Is it possible to be a Dual National and be content to live in one country permanent!

I'm starting to think that we will never be able to fully settle in one country. I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing, I'm just curious about others in the same position as us with UK and US cit'ship. How do you get your head around having this choice of where to live? How do you choose a first and second place - or maybe you don't? We are starting to think we need to have a property in both and then comes the big decision.... which one is better to raise and educate our 2 younger children (age 4 and 1). We can work in either so it's not an employment issue nor is it an extended family issue really. Our son will do as he pleases and he know's we are there for him wherever on the globe we are (I just need him to follow his heart for a while and do all the searching he needs to do, get a girlfriend and get to 20 - 25 as quickly as possible!!!!)
Is having the dual national option a blessing or a curse?
Hi there USA Gypsies,

Your post is of real interest to me as your family situation is very similar to our situation except you are further down the track than us as you have already made the move back. I would love to hear more about some of the problems you have encountered on your return (or prior to your return by the sounds of things). We also have a teenage son, he is almost 16 and we are talking of moving back from Australia in the next 3 years, but this could change to just 18 mths depending on our house selling. How old is your son? I'm uncertain whether it would be better for our son if we move back in 18 mths when he'll be 17.5 or in 3 years when he'll be almost 19....do you have any thoughts based on the sort of things you've come up against through the education system and also just regarding which age he is most likely to settle easier?

We are also about to start a family again so we hope to have a little one by the time we make the move AND my teenage son is from my first marriage AND his genetic father does not stay in touch and hasn't for over 8 years. As you see, we have a very similar set of circumstances!

Hoping to hear from you with some of your valuable experience in the area of moving teenage sons back to the UK. Please feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Regards,
Basil Brush