Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

POPE BENEDICT XVI in BRITAIN

Wikiposts

POPE BENEDICT XVI in BRITAIN

Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:55 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POPE BENEDICT XVI in BRITAIN

Originally Posted by Mallory
I didn't say there were any nasty posts, you must have misunderstood. I merely said it would be nice if we could keep this a peaceful thread about the Pope's visit. I'm interested in his visit, and enjoy reading the posts concerning this. TIA.

Experience shows that attempting to pre-censor threads here is an enterprise doomed to failure.

Mods, maybe we should install a Censorship Office though, a Sacred Congregation of the Forum Index .. they could confer the imprimatur and the nihil obstat on posts...

Oh no!! NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition...
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:27 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Experience shows that attempting to pre-censor threads here is an enterprise doomed to failure.

Mods, maybe we should install a Censorship Office though, a Sacred Congregation of the Forum Index .. they could confer the imprimatur and the nihil obstat on posts...

Oh no!! NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition...
Have you ever noticed that atheists can't keep their noses out of threads about religion.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever noticed that atheists can't keep their noses out of threads about religion.
What a moronic comment.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Who said they were atheist? I am agnostic so should I not post comments in this thread?
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:36 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Er.. don't think this thread is about religion. That would be like saying, if a thread was about President Obama, that's a thread about Political Science.

Anyway, I am an atheist and I assert my right to have opinions about religion. I'm certainly happy for religious folk to express opinions about humanism and atheism.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:38 am
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

I'd just like to say at this point that:

1. I don't consider myself an atheist.
2. I don't have a problem with Catholics, or any other religion for that matter.
3. I do have a problem with Pope Benedict XVI and his retroactivism.
4. This problem is amplified when he and his advisors make bigoted aggressive comments as they have done in the last 2 days.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:39 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is about the Pope being in the UK right?

The majority of Italians - being Catholic - don't want him in Rome so let him stay elsewhere for a while. This seems to be a big thing for the Italian Catholics as they did like the last Pope - but not this one.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:48 am
Heading for Poppyland

Plus, yes I'm an atheist. I have dear friends who are Catholic Priests, one is actually now a Bishop and a functionary in the Vatican. I have great respect for (some of) the Catholic Church's activities, perhaps less so for others (such as pedophilia, genocide etc.) I've supported Catholic churches and charities. I have read pretty extensively about the history of the church and about Christian theology and apologetics.

I'm not a believer in the division of the world into people of faith on the one hand and atheists on the other.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:54 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

It would be nice if this thread could be a peaceful thread about the Pope's visit to Scotland and England. Posters that want to make rude nasty comments about Catholics should go to the TIO section of the forum. I'm sure there must be a nasty thread about the Pope running over there.
Given the recent history and even more recent comments, I think those that wish to speak well of the pope and the catholic power structure should take it to TIO.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:55 am
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

What's struck me about this visit is the number of Catholics I know who have taken variants of the attitude "I wish he'd bugger off and leave us alone, he doesn't represent us." It's both slightly strange to hear Catholics dismissing the Pope and also heartening to know that there's a healthy streak of individualism and rebellion amongst practising Catholics.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malashaan
What's struck me about this visit is the number of Catholics I know who have taken variants of the attitude "I wish he'd bugger off and leave us alone, he doesn't represent us." It's both slightly strange to hear Catholics dismissing the Pope and also heartening to know that there's a healthy streak of individualism and rebellion amongst practising Catholics.
There seems to be a definite difference in the way this current pope is perceived by the public (Catholic and non-Catholic alike) compared to the previous one.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 9:21 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Malashaan
Nothing new there. Paradoxically, the Catholic Church has always encouraged individualism & independent thinking at the same time as suppressing it elsewhere. The Jesuits have always been a bolshy lot. Then there was Liberation Theology.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 9:48 am
Account Closed

bivlover is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SarahG
OK so I was born and brought up in Edinburgh but I could not care less that a man in a white dress was making his way down a street in my home town in a ridiculous car and most likely causing traffic chaos!
More than the tram apparently.

And also, some light relief (please do not click if you unconditionally love the Pope)
Daily Mash article
Old Sep 16th 2010, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I haven't seen any on this thread but, if there is a place for them I could add some beauties seeing as I live surrounded by them.
You live in a nunnery?
Old Sep 16th 2010, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

chrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
There seems to be a definite difference in the way this current pope is perceived by the public (Catholic and non-Catholic alike) compared to the previous one.
Reminds me of the pseudo-republicanism in Australia, some of them are happy with the Queen to be their head of state as they like her, not Charles when he becomes King, because he's not as popular.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.