pls help. british citizen in canada

Wikiposts

pls help. british citizen in canada

Old Mar 19th 2004, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

samra31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default pls help. british citizen in canada

Hi.

I am a british citizen and my husband is canadian. We are currently living in Canada and planning to go to the UK at the end of the year. I am pregnant and my baby will be born in Canada and I meed to know if my baby will still get the british citizenship if born here. Does anyone know how this works and what I need to do when my baby is born?

Samra.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 2:36 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Register the birth at the British Embassy and you'll be all set.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by manc1976
Register the birth at the British Embassy and you'll be all set.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is true!

My mate (British) married to a Singaporean Wife, with a baby born in Hong Kong, all that was required was to make a brief trip to the British Consulate General and a nice new shiny British Passport was issued.......after a few weeks of course!

Should be no problem.

Cheers
Old Mar 20th 2004, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

rooster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: pls help. british citizen in canada

Hi,

We are also in the same position. Myself and hubbie are British and we had a baby last October in Canada. We would like to get her a British Birth Certificate but when I looked at the British Embassy/Consulate Web Site (Ottawa), it appears you can't do this?? Maybe I'm wrong, or...? If anybody knows otherwise, PLEASE PLEASE advise.

We already applied for her Canadian Birth Certificate but it is taking ABSOLUTELY AGES!!! Somebody told me they're 6 - 8 months behind on processing, unbelievable! We want to visit the UK but can't until we get the b.c. in order to then apply for her passport. It is all very frustrating and we are getting impatient as we can't leave the country until we get this, grrrr.

HELP!
Old Mar 20th 2004, 6:39 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by samra31
Hi.

I am a british citizen and my husband is canadian. We are currently living in Canada and planning to go to the UK at the end of the year. I am pregnant and my baby will be born in Canada and I meed to know if my baby will still get the british citizenship if born here. Does anyone know how this works and what I need to do when my baby is born?

Samra.
Children of British citizens, where the parent was born in GB, are automatically British themselves, so your child will be British, as well as Canadian, and can claim a British Passport when the time comes.

Not sure how this works for other classes of British Citizens.

However, if your child then has children born outside the UK, the children (ie your grandchildren) could not claim British citizenship even though their parent was "British",as the parent was not born in the UK.

Its somewhere here...I was checking for my daughter, British Dad, Canadian Mum

http://www.britainincanada.org/Passport/eligible.htm
http://www.britainincanada.org/FAQs/ppfaqs.htm

Iain
Old Mar 20th 2004, 6:41 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rooster
Hi,

We are also in the same position. Myself and hubbie are British and we had a baby last October in Canada. We would like to get her a British Birth Certificate but when I looked at the British Embassy/Consulate Web Site (Ottawa), it appears you can't do this?? Maybe I'm wrong, or...? If anybody knows otherwise, PLEASE PLEASE advise.

We already applied for her Canadian Birth Certificate but it is taking ABSOLUTELY AGES!!! Somebody told me they're 6 - 8 months behind on processing, unbelievable! We want to visit the UK but can't until we get the b.c. in order to then apply for her passport. It is all very frustrating and we are getting impatient as we can't leave the country until we get this, grrrr.

HELP!
Search back through the posts here (might have been the "Canada" Forum), I remember a post a month or two ago where there is a way around the need for the BC, or expediting it, but I dont remember the details. Involved going in person to various places I think.

Good Luck

Iain

***UPDATE***

Found this...(http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...el+certificate)

"I called the passport office and I was told I could get a temporary
passport (i.e. valid for a few months - about 6 months) for my newborn if I can present a travel letter (Division Registrar's Statement) from one of the City's Civic Centres and a plane ticket or itinerary with proof of payment.

After reading Meg's post, I was in doubt. But again I thought things may have changed. I got the travel letter (25 CAD), purchased plane ticket, got passport photos of the newborn, picked a form called "Statutory Statement in Lieu of a Guarantor" from a passport office (as I didn't have a guarantor to sign on the application form), filled it in and got it notorised by a notary public (20 CAD - the charge differs from place to place) (as to the passport application form - for a child or adult - you can find it at any post office).

The notary public had to sign on the back of one of the passport photos as well. I submitted the complete application and I was told to pickup the passport after a week (I paid 30 CAD more for an express service, the regular service takes 10 working days and is 20 CAD for a child's passport).

So, this seems the way things are working at the moment. I hope this helps.

Best regards,"

Last edited by iaink; Mar 20th 2004 at 6:57 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 6:34 am
Just Joined

JamesCDN-UK is an unknown quantity at this point

I was born to English parents here in Canada and currently hold passports of both countries.